off topic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• off topic?

in the nineties like most people we bought a few good quality stacked stereo systems complete with the large glass fronted cabinets for my sons to use in their bedrooms when they were teenager. They to be honest were although expensive hardly ever used and have lain for most of that time peacefully earning no awards but no county court judgements either just quietly minding their own business. Now we are doing a completely new kitchen no cabinets etc new way of doing things, Bron suddenly gets the urge to clear all the clutter as she calls it, and either throw it out in the town dumpster depot or call for a charity shop to call collect. They are immaculate Marantz and pioneer units. One of them I bought myself it cost me around 2 k at the time without speakers. Bron swears you get nothing but hassle on the net for them and it is more trouble at our age than any money received. Surely this is all wrong. After all surely Big al has got to be right sometime I said I would think about it then forgot about it so today I said no although space is a premium I want to keep them even for shop use. It is like all my photography stuff, I spent over many years building up a top notch camera out fit with computer built ins inc power feeder winder and a mass of lenses including a large mirror lense all Marantz 9000 outfit and goodness knows what that was around 3.5 k then of course that is with all my developing stuff things I enjoyed when I was younger, but now don't have the time. none of it is modern computer stuff all for developing It will come back I AM TELLING YOU ALL booh ,hooh ,no it won't ! or will it? err no .Alistair oh well at least I kept Bron ! 14th august next Monday it will be forty six years. I married when I just turned twenty we have been together since I was nineteen I believe you get less these days for murder. Just kidding, I am just as much in love with her as ever perhaps even more.
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=marantz+mm+9000

Comment

I admire your tenacity. I had two wives. (Not at the same time) One for 5 years and one for 13 years. I've now been single longer than both combined. I don't think I could do it again even though they say the third time is the charm. Which brings me to another question. How long are we branded with the descriptor of "Divorced"? It seems after a period of time, we should be able to go back to "Single".

Comment

I sort of lost the theme halfway through, but old stereo components can have a new life (they are sought after).

Get a high end sound card, not the best buy crap but something like M Audio. With really good speakers, free music bee or foobar software (the best players), out to the components, the computer becomes an amazing juke box, can't be beat. In our house, its kids yelling at Dad to turn it down.

Comment

The're yours so keep them. What's the problem? She has her pots, pans & other things & you don't decide to toss them do you?
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

I love my Onkyo system and used it till something went funny and it doesn't work as well any more. I would like to have a big pounding system in the shop to annoy the neighbors as I annoy the neighbors with my loud machines, hammering, and welding.
            Andy

Comment

I have enjoyed good stereo music I'm my shop for many years. Christine and I celebrated 60 years in March. She has her sewing room and I have my shop. We help each other out from time to time when a need arises.

Comment

I worked for Marantz back in the 70's, actually it was Sony Superscope back then, Superscope was the only Sony importer at the time and they had bought Marantz years before. This was back in the day when two speakers were enough and JBL was king of the speaker business. Several years ago I bought one of those glass front stereo systems, mine happens to be a Sony. It will still rattle the walls but those Marantz amps hold a special place in my heart. Would love to have a 2270 receiver even though I really have no need for it.

Comment

\\\\oops my camera system is Minolta 9000 thanks for comments. Al
                  Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I have a 70s vintage Marantz receiver sitting in my dad's basement. Do they really get that much money for them? Thinking I may have to haul it home and dust it off.
                    George

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                      The're yours so keep them. What's the problem? She has her pots, pans & other things & you don't decide to toss them do you?
                      I'm sure when he says "you get to keep your pots and pans" it will go over real well. Just like when you buy your wife a new vacuum cleaner for her birthday.

I use old stereo stuff all the time, its the only good stuff for a decent price. I have 3 sets of big ol' speakers, the youngest is 30 years old. My receiver is younger as the old one gave up after 20, only about 10 years old, but it was found on the side of the road not a year after manufacture, presumably due to one of five input channels not working. Big whoop.

Also, I shoot an develop film still. Lots of fun. Gets neglected now as my latest hobby is perpetually cleaning my workshop.

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post
                        I have a 70s vintage Marantz receiver sitting in my dad's basement. Do they really get that much money for them? Thinking I may have to haul it home and dust it off.
                        Yep, Bought a 2245 at a swap meet when I was in California for almost nothing. It was pretty beat up and had one channel out. I drug it home and fixed it. Only speakers I had at the time were Radio Shack bookshelf speakers but even with cheap speakers that receiver sounded better than just about anything you could buy at the time. Sadly when I left California I was on a motor cycle and the Marantz stayed with my daughter. Never heard what she did with it and have been afraid to ask.

Comment

Even very good stack systems of that era go for peanuts, I bought a nice Akai system for my wife to replace her Sony when it failed, the full Akai system, plus CD Recorder, plus Linn Index speakers cost me about £150.

Some good quality separates still fetch reasonable money.
                          If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

That was a fun read, if not a lil whacky ( I had to squint and turn sideways then got it).

My Bron (Bronwyn) and I have only been together for 26 years. It will go on till she says no more please.

My stereo stuff is not as nice as the Marantz stuff. Mainly cause I am not as old as you crusty guys My stuff came from my days in the Navy and in Japan. Bought some Yamaha equipment. mx-1000, cx-1000 and associated goodies. I still have all of it and enjoy the music. I use an audio control active cross over to route the signals through the three amps then to the drivers.

I did get into buying carver stuff in the 90s and as crude as they are I think they will always have a place in my stereo cabinet.

Well Al, you wont be able to buy that equipment again. Or find a woman like Bron again. So yeah, you are a lucky man. JR
                            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

When I saw Sansui gear in the '80s, I would ask "who is the electronics tech?"

e-techs bought Sansui because we spotted the quality, and wanted something we would need to work on all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X