Where to purchase sheet PVC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to purchase sheet PVC?

I am building a cart for a friend like a golf cart.. It has a lawnmower frame I have put larger wheels onto to get more speed.

I want to build a body from pvc.. Where can I buy a sheet 24" x 48"

It'd be nice for Home depot or lowes to have such a item, do they?

-

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-11-2005).]

My powdercoat oven, is 4x4x5 feet. I think the digital controller will get the temp close enough to form it..

Next question.. what is that temp?

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-11-2005).]

Comment

I think either MSC www.mscdirect.com or McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com will have it.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Check your yellow pages for plastics suppliers or talk to a sign making company, they use lots plastics.

Jerry

[This message has been edited by jfsmith (edited 08-12-2004).]

Comment

cheapest way for smaller stuff is to flatten out pipe

Comment

Mc-Master Carr is a definite.
            Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

285 F is about where it starts to get formable.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Be careful of the fumes Dave. The fumes of PVC have been proven to cause dangerous tumors with almost 100 percent cause and effect. Dangerous dangerous nasty stuff.

Spence

Comment

Try Emco Industrial Plastics, they're a large supplier based in NJ. They're number for outside NJ is 1-800-292-9906 and their website is www.emcoplastics.com

HTRN
                  EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

man thats a tough one..for me at least.
                    only time ive ever seen sheet pvc was at the steel mill i used to work at.we built tanks to hold acid with the stuff.
                    the lowes or hd here aint got it i dont think.dunno what kinda $$$ your lookin at but nylon is easier for me to get.

Comment

doesnt heating pvc give off some nasty gases?

Comment

Dave,
                        In our area GE Polymers, formerly Commercial plastics stocks sheet goods. I think GE polymers is a national supplier. You may also want to consider polycarbonate sheet goods, which is also a thermoplastic so you can form it like the PVC. The nice thing about the polycarbonate, is that it is bendable (like sheet metal) in a brake. I had some scrap 1/4" sheet that I warmed up and bent in my sheet metal brake to build a guard for a machine. The thinner stuff shouldn't need heating. Could make a cool looking body for the cart using a combination of vacuum forming and sheet metal fabrication techniques, and it would be bullet proof.

Matt

Comment

GUYS,

Have you ever been around a powdercoat oven in operation? sheew weee... choke cough.. cough.. OR worse? tried to weld something that has been powdercoated.. Same ordeal.. Our first oven was in a attached garage, everyone in the house had a sore throat.. I then read up on it and figured we needed more air flow..

I have bent pvc conduit.. for some reason the white won't bend as easy as the grey thou..

Thanks for the links.. I'll check later... today I get to climb a scaffold for free to help a friend who has helped me in the past.. (Quote :what goes around comes around, " Waylon Jennings")

Comment

Here's the place that I always use for plastics.
                            http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/cat...ame=115&Page=1
                            I buy a bunch of polycarbonate from them as well as some other things. Good sourse for safety plastics items like goggles and such as well.
                            If you need to find out the forming temperature and proceedures, this info is available on the web and I can look u the link if needed.
                            Hope this helps.

------------------
                            Lee

[This message has been edited by Lee (edited 08-13-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Lee (edited 08-13-2004).]
                            Lee

Comment

Dave,look here-

http://www.psandf.com/
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X