OT - thread id help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - thread id help

I have a 7 gallon plastic tank that I use for bottling honey. I don't know how I got it but I think it may have originally been purchased for wine bottling. It has a spigot valve in it that I'd like to replace with something bigger because the honey flows through the valve slower than I'd like. I have already opened the valve up as much as I dare using reamers. I measured the thread and the major diameter is 1.06. The thread gauge I have is usa only but the 15 TPI gauge fits seemingly well. Ive been trying to find a replacement valve with as big an opening as I can find but I can't cross the threads thus far. I'm thinking the actual threads are metric at 26mm-1.75mm pitch. This is a straight thread BTW.
    Does anyone recognize something like this thread? I know there are all sorts of threads for faucets Garden hoses and on but so far no luck in matching this thread.
    Thanks for any assistance.

Galaxy S4, Slimkat
    If I wasn't married I'd quit fishing

The barrels I have that came with that sort of faucet have all taken a standard US faucet thread, I screwed in regular 1/4 turn ball valves to them without an issue. And they were NOT all US origin.

Did you just try a standard pipe thread?

Now, when it comes to a larger valve, that might be an issue, because IME, that type valve is about as open as you can get for the threaded connection size. The only issues they have is the right angle the flow has to negotiate, and the smaller spigot portion that yours has. A 1/4 turn ball valve has somewhat less of an angle, and can be had straight, but do not have a really large opening through. Might be enough help, might not.

And you may require plastic, which adds a complication.

You might have to open up the threads to a larger size, if you have the material, or put in a heater to get the honey to flow.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

Would adding a bulkhead fitting and a quarter turn valve like these solve your problem?

valve: https://www.shoupparts.com/502226/

tank fitting: https://www.shoupparts.com/501552/

Comment

It's definitely not pipe thread. The spigot has the male/straight thread.
        Good ideas however. Thanks
        BTW heating to about 100 degrees is my sop but my shop is about this warm right now so I don't heat it. I don't want to go any hotter.

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

Comment

May be an SAE hydraulic thread.

This may help..
          https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...read_guide.pdf

Comment

Another option to think about is adding a port to pressurize the tank. A small CO2 or nitrogen N2 cylinder and a low pressure regulator would make a BIG difference in flow rate. You would only need 2-4 PSI to help a lot. I recomend the mentioned gasses because of food safety. Regular filtered air would also work, just be cautious of contamination.
            Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

Vertical head of honey? Gravity feed. Honey is chemically inactive IIRC. Most any plastic ball vavle will do the job.

Threads are a tiny part of the problem. The box store has a zillion kinds of fittings.

Do some measuring and try a likely pipe thread in the tapped hole for fit. Bungs of molded plastic containers are made to be easily connected to valves, piping, etc. Before you say "can't work" try a few things.
              Last edited by Forrest Addy; 08-17-2017, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
                It's definitely not pipe thread. The spigot has the male/straight thread.
                BSPT - British Standard Pipe Tapered
                BSPP - British Standard Pipe Parallel

NPT - National Pipe Tapered
                NPP - National Pipe Parallel

Lots of applications with parallel pipe threads.
                Paul Compton
                www.morini-mania.co.uk
                http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

Thanks all.
                  I am familiar with all the thread types listed. I understand there are straight pipe threads however these, nor any other thread type, do not match the thread I have.
                  I also understand that I can go to a box store and try to find a valve with a thread that I could force into the hole. The purpose of this thread is to find the exact thread match. IF it turns out that I cannot find the matching thread then I will look at the alternative thread types. I honestly see no point in destroying the threads unless/until I feel there are no other options. Not to be rude but I'm asking for help with identifying the thread, not alternative methods for using the bottling tank or ways to adapt alternative valves or spouts etc. BTW I use a small air pump to pressurize this tank. It's one that I purchased for keeping shrimp alive to use as bait on my fishing kayak. I decided it would be too much trouble to catch and keep live shrimp so I never used the pump but it's a perfect pump for pressuring the tank at 2-3 psi.
                  Thanks again.

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
                    ...... Not to be rude but I'm asking for help with identifying the thread, not alternative methods for using the bottling tank or ways to adapt alternative valves or spouts etc.......
                    Step 1: Measure the thread very accurately

Step 2: Look through thread specs until you find one that matches.

If step 1 and 2 do not solve the issue, or just come up with a non useful result, cut threads that fit the valves you can get.

That any better?

You are the only one who can see the threads up close. And it may not matter what the thread is if it does not fit a valve.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

A 3/4" pipe has a nominal OD of 1.050". The molded plastic thread that fits a 15TPI gauge "seemingly well" is probably a 3/4-14TPI NPT or NPP .

Try screwing in a 3/4 x1 pipe reducer and use a 1" ball valve for faster flow.

I wouldn't be concerned that the thread seems to be parallel. With a wrap of Teflon tape and the give of the plastic, there won't be enough honey leaking to get your fingers sticky.
                      Last edited by cameron; 08-17-2017, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                        Step 1: Measure the thread very accurately

Step 2: Look through thread specs until you find one that matches.

If step 1 and 2 do not solve the issue, or just come up with a non useful result, cut threads that fit the valves you can get.

That any better?

You are the only one who can see the threads up close. And it may not matter what the thread is if it does not fit a valve.
                        This has been my plan. I just wanted to get the opinions of folks here prior to selecting my best option and proceeding.

Thanks to the many that have contributed.

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

Comment

Still suspect it really is a type of pipe thread. Likely the parallel type, since the valve appears to be bottomed on the surface.

If you know anything about the origin of the tank, that might get you a clue. Obviously SOMEWHERE there are available valves with threads that fit, since you have one right there.

Problem you have if it IS a parallel thread is "timing". With taper, you have options for alignment, so you can get it pointed with drain side down and still be tight enough. With parallel, it is loose until it bottoms, and then you have to use gasket thickness to ensure that the valve is pointing down correctly when it is tight. Could easily be pointing any other direction.
                          Last edited by J Tiers; 08-17-2017, 12:53 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Would it be possible to pull a vacuum on whatever you are putting the honey into? If that is possible, you would not need to change anything that you already have.

Roger

Comment

Sorry but how would pulling a vacuum help?

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

Comment

Working...
                              X