Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My New Shop.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My New Shop.

    I finally started moving into my new shop. 350 Square feet of basement that went from 112 year old coal chute with barely 6' between brick floor and ceiling joists. To what you see below.

    I have to say, it has been a long time coming. Between working a full-time job and being a new dad, this project has been kicking my butt up and down and all around.

    I have plenty of projects coming up. I want to put together my surface grinder, I want to restore and improve my 4x6" saw. I want to build a 10' long bench as well.

    If there is any interest check it out.

    12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
    Logan 825 - work in progress
    My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
    Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
    Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

  • #2
    Shop, smop, I want to see all those gears turning. What is that?

    Seriously, it looks like a nice shop. The shaper looks like a nice one. Happy chips!
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

    Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

    Comment


    • #3
      As someone that has always gotten a lot of joy and pride out of building up each of my shops in the new houses over the years I gotta say you did a GREAT JOB! ! ! ! What a lovely transformation!

      The Logan lathe is a real keeper. I had the chance to run one in a little back room shop at work on and off over the years. They are far more sturdy than their size suggests. You're in for a great time with it as you learn into your new skills. Pity about the chunks taken out of the compound but at least they are fairly small and won't greatly hamper you since they are on the side not normally used.

      The shaper will do nicely until you can get a mill. Or perhaps IF you get a mill. And size wise it's not a bad matchup for the Logan.

      What's that funky looking white cabinet thing to the right of the Logan? See through beer fridge with external controls?

      Along with your bench be sure to plan on a goodly amount of shelf or storage cabinet space. I proved to myself about 4 shops ago that by far the best "machine" I can have in ANY workshop is a good amount of storage space that is well organized. Don't be that person that has to learn it all over again the hard way. Plan for well organized shelving that is not sitting over top of any machines NOW! And build your bench with drawers or shelves with drawer like boxes below the top again as a sort of "tool chest" which is ready at hand.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BCRider View Post
        Default
        As someone that has always gotten a lot of joy and pride out of building up each of my shops in the new houses over the years I gotta say you did a GREAT JOB! ! ! ! What a lovely transformation!

        The Logan lathe is a real keeper. I had the chance to run one in a little back room shop at work on and off over the years. They are far more sturdy than their size suggests. You're in for a great time with it as you learn into your new skills. Pity about the chunks taken out of the compound but at least they are fairly small and won't greatly hamper you since they are on the side not normally used.

        The shaper will do nicely until you can get a mill. Or perhaps IF you get a mill. And size wise it's not a bad matchup for the Logan.

        What's that funky looking white cabinet thing to the right of the Logan? See through beer fridge with external controls?

        Along with your bench be sure to plan on a goodly amount of shelf or storage cabinet space. I proved to myself about 4 shops ago that by far the best "machine" I can have in ANY workshop is a good amount of storage space that is well organized. Don't be that person that has to learn it all over again the hard way. Plan for well organized shelving that is not sitting over top of any machines NOW! And build your bench with drawers or shelves with drawer like boxes below the top again as a sort of "tool chest" which is ready at hand
        For the shaper, I think its going to stay. I got it for a great price, and it is really in good shape. I have never seen an old timer more glad to sell machinery. He loved the fact that I was going to keep it and USE it, he made sure of that when we were negotiating price. As for a mill. I have a few surprises hidden in the shop, but a vertical mill has not materialized yet. I have to find something that both fits the shop and my needs/my wallet. This hobby is expensive.

        For the Logan, yeah it had a rough life before I got it. From all accounts it seems to be a decent machine, some people seem to pour on the hate and others love them, some compare them to SB heavy 10's. From a size and weight perspective I am over the moon with this lathe, I picked it up for nothing. I may replace the compound slide or maybe braze up the jaws and see if they hold. However for now it is fine. It took allot of hours to get it to the point you see it now, it was a project of love. I still have a few things to do to it to make sure I get my power feeds going and threading ability back.

        @beer fride. Thank you for that. I need a new keyboard, this one is covered in coffe!

        For storage, I am planing on a hybrid workbench which is going to be bolted steel shelves and wood top with plenty of storage. Planing some clever storage as well later on. More projects.

        Thank you for the comments guys. It feels good to get some constructive feedback.
        12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
        Logan 825 - work in progress
        My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
        Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
        Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
          Shop, smop, I want to see all those gears turning. What is that?

          Seriously, it looks like a nice shop. The shaper looks like a nice one. Happy chips!
          THe picture of the gears came from a copyright free website. I liked it so I used it as a cover for my video.
          12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
          Logan 825 - work in progress
          My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
          Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
          Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

          Comment


          • #6
            Save the pictures and videos to remind you. Now is probably the last time that you'll have that much empty floor.

            Did you use plaster/mud or plasterboard/drywall on the walls or is it something more esoteric?
            Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

            Comment


            • #7
              [email protected] fridge. Thank you for that. I need a new keyboard, this one is covered in coffee!
              Send me the dry cleaning bill for the keyboard to "[email protected]"....

              On the topic of the Logan. I've seen way too many posts here on HSM that seem to forget that many of us are HOME shop machinists. Oh sure, I'm all on board with the idea of "bigger is better" when it comes to machine tools. But not all of us have the room or money for big machines. Or we've got a good focus on doing smaller and more playful projects. Just look at Brian Rupnow's fan club (I'm one of them! ) and consider that he's doing all those great running engines on a lathe that is no more capable than your Logan. And he's milling on a mill that isn't much, if any, more capable than your shaper for handling size of work. So NEVER feel like you need to apologise or make excuses for the size of your machines. You've got a great setup there and years of meaningful projects ahead of you. The ONLY limit is you and your skills and imagination. And the best part is that your skills, confidence and imagination will grow with each new piece made. Today it was a hunk of stainless turned into a widget. In a year or so it'll be something with multiple parts that uses heat or some other energy source in some way to achieve motion. In between you'll manage to make a bunch of really cool tools and tooling to use in your shop as an aid to becoming more comfortable with machining in general. Things that will be very much educational for your skills to grow and aid you in the future with other jobs. Such is the evolution of a home shop and the machinist that seeks their refuge and sanity in that environment.


              When it comes to storage all I'll add at this point is that you should try to think "volume" and how best to use it. Too many of us think in terms of surface space on walls and shelves where to achieve the highest density of useless things we think we need we really should be focusing on how we use the volume.


              ..... aaannnnndddd.... if it's not a beer fridge then what the heck is that thing ? ! ? ! ?
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

              Comment


              • #8
                Nice work space! Everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink! Or is that corner reserved for the wife's sewing machine?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post
                  Save the pictures and videos to remind you. Now is probably the last time that you'll have that much empty floor.

                  Did you use plaster/mud or plasterboard/drywall on the walls or is it something more esoteric?
                  The walls were studs and plaster and drywall. I kept the wiring out of the wall and painted it white with spray paint because it makes upgrading later on easier.
                  12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
                  Logan 825 - work in progress
                  My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
                  Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
                  Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                    Nice work space! Everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink! Or is that corner reserved for the wife's sewing machine?
                    The entire shop is mine. The wife's sewing machine will be just outside the shop. We set a space. I even talked her into getting a vintage singer machine that I can use as well to make bellows and the like out of leather. Win win in my book.
                    12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
                    Logan 825 - work in progress
                    My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
                    Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
                    Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                      .... aaannnnndddd.... if it's not a beer fridge then what the heck is that thing ? ! ? ! ?
                      That reminds me of an episode of The Simpsons where and Simpson gives some older Canadian war vets DVD players as a thank you. One of them looks at the other and asks where the maple syrup goes. Lol.

                      With that said. I agree on the storage. Honestly I am looking at simplyfying my collection of junk. I will be disposing of or selling a bunch of things. Once I am done with that the storage will only be parts of the shop I can't use for anything else and I will only be sticking small quantities of stock and parts. No need for drawer after drawer of garbage that will never see the light of day.
                      12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
                      Logan 825 - work in progress
                      My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
                      Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
                      Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks for the tour! Really like that Atlas shaper. Have you used it yet? I have an Ammco 7" bench one.
                        www.thecogwheel.net

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by enginuity View Post
                          Thanks for the tour! Really like that Atlas shaper. Have you used it yet? I have an Ammco 7" bench one.
                          I have used it, just making test cuts. I was using some old lathe tools on it at the time. I have now cleaned up the machine and will be cutting some HSS tooling specifically for it. I have a book somewhere that shows 3 or 4 different types of HSS tooling needed for the shaper, and I will be replicating that. I am also planing on making a keyway tool for it as well. It is a fun machine and for its size it does nicely.
                          12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
                          Logan 825 - work in progress
                          My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
                          Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
                          Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                            ..... aaannnnndddd.... if it's not a beer fridge then what the heck is that thing ? ! ? ! ?
                            It's a 3D printer.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by engineerd3d View Post
                              I have used it, just making test cuts. I was using some old lathe tools on it at the time. I have now cleaned up the machine and will be cutting some HSS tooling specifically for it. I have a book somewhere that shows 3 or 4 different types of HSS tooling needed for the shaper, and I will be replicating that. I am also planing on making a keyway tool for it as well. It is a fun machine and for its size it does nicely.
                              I used an Atlas shaper for several years as my "mill". You can do a LOT of things on it, it's "a lathe for flat things", and it can do other shapes as well.

                              If you make a tool for it that has a high rake, you can peel of material easily in deep cuts. It will make chips that you can hear hit the floor (if you listen for them). Similar to a high rake tool in the lathe. The tool grinds have a lot in common between them.

                              The P.O., when I went to see the shaper, had a high rake tool peeling off 0.030 x 0.125" chips, and it was not laboring to do it.

                              Make some "table furniture" for it: a "table strip" to align parts along parallel to the cut, fits in a t-slot. Also some square block pieces that are cut with a "t" to fit in a t-slot, with a screw hole tilted down at maybe 30 deg at maybe an inch or a bit less height. A long screw in there, maybe with a point on it, will hold parts against the table strip, leaving the top surface clear. Also a "stop block".... just a block with one or two screws to go into t-nuts, which you use to hold material against sliding,

                              With that, you can do a lot, and it can be more versatile and convenient than a vise.

                              Look in old Audels shop texts, and you will find a lot of setups that are more convenient than a vise for certain tasks. My shaper came with a drill press vise that the P.O. was using as a shaper vise. The height was right, but the vise sucked. I tossed the vise in a cabinet, and never used it.
                              Last edited by J Tiers; 08-23-2017, 03:21 PM.
                              1601

                              Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X