The Battle Shaper docks at it's new home port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Battle Shaper docks at it's new home port

So, why did I buy a Cincinnati 24" shaper suitable for industrial use? Because I was looking for a 7" shaper, and this one was not selling. The old machinist who had it obviously had great affection for it and was about ready to give it away rather than see it go for scrap metal.

Oh my goodness... what a difference going from 7" stroke to 24" stroke makes. Moving it two days, and a LOT of sweat... First was the 300 mile drive to Pittsburgh area... I hate 5 AM.

Here it is in the back of the shop. We are starting to strip everything off of it that we can... 250 pound vice, clapper box, 300 pounds of 3 HP electric motor and gear box built on a 1" steel plate, 500 pounds table, door, etc. That left us with about 1200 pounds of parts and probably 2500 pounds of core machine. Oh mah achin' back.

We got it up onto pipe rollers with pry bars, and rolled it to the front of the shop. Then it was time to get up UP and on the trailer. This was done 2 inches at a time by lifting it with bottle jacks, and using a Horrible Fright engine hoist to stabilize it from being top heavy and teetering. This was high pucker factor time...

Once it got up to the same height as the trailer bed, we attached a large come-along to the trailer, wrapped a chain around the shaper base, and pulled the shaper forward off the cribbing and onto the trailer. The engine hoist maintained upward force to prevent tipping over. This was ALSO high pucker factor... But, we got it loaded.

This is the picture before we put 4 more straps on it, and also strapped down the table at the front of the trailer, along with the electric motor and gear box.

Next, drive home... By the time we got home it was dark, so we anchored the Battle shaper off shore and waiting for the morning.

So the next morning I wake up with sore muscles, and 3 tons of machine sitting on a trailer in the drive way... All I have to do is maneuver it into that open garage door in the shop...

The day before it had taken 4 guys 5 hours to load it. It left all of us in pain. There were some seriously puckerful moments when a single mistake could have made jelly out of one or two of us. It just wasn't worth the risk again. Time to call the commercial wrecker...

That still left plenty to do by hand... the electric motor, the gear box, the vise, the parts... probably 1200 pounds. But the safety of having the BIG PART unloaded by somebody with the right tools was definitely a Very Good Thing.

And now, it's docked in the shop. It's going to take at least two weeks to move it the last few feet, anchor it to the floor, clean it, reassemble it, wire it in, and then get over the pain. But it's HOME. It's MAGNIFICENT. It's totally crazy.

Wow...

Comment

Congratulations ,this is a fine machine and thanks for a good Friday night story and pictures. Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

Sooooo..... Lets review.

You were shopping for a 7 inch and took home a 24 inch.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me! Glad you got the vice.

Comment

Nice machine. Good way to move it. Good luck with it.

Dave

Comment

Congratulations on your acquisition and moving adventure. A job well done on both parts. And good of you to take stewardship of such a vintage machine. You're taking steps to preserve a small piece of manufacturing history that looks to have been well cared for by its previous owner(s). And speaking of hisory, is that a '38 Chevrolet in that third photo?

Comment

Wheew, thats a big hunk of iron! Congrats on getting it unloaded

I have to ask, what are you going to do with it? Thats partial joke and partial legitimate curiosity, ive always kinda wondered how useful they are nowadays. I know that in their heyday they were great because milling cutters were comparatively expensive, but thats not so much an issue nowadays

Comment

No 1937 Chev. Great score and job, now you can make chunks not chips....

Comment

Congratulations. Looks like you have a great machine to put back into a new life in your shop. Another small piece of America saved. Once operating, you will find it to be more useful than you thought it would be. I tend to go to my Shaper before any of the three Mills in my shop. Please post more photos as work progresses.

Comment

holy cow, that'll certainly stop your shop from blowing away! Can't wait to see pics of it in action. I bet you'll be able to do a lot of handy work with that, especially splines and keyways. You might even be able to pick up some paying work if you know large equipment mechanics in the area.

Comment

I have mentioned before that a shaper is great in a home shop for cleaning up rusty scrap and unknownium before putting expensive milling cutters at risk.
                      Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 08-25-2017, 06:10 PM.

Comment

One of the things I use mine for is doing welding bevels.

Comment

Man, you got some cojones doing an amateur move of a 6000 pound machine. Great job! Lotta work, eh?

If you get that machine running and tooled up, it will do a lot for you. You can use medium weight hydraulic fluid from the auto parts store if you run out of Vactra. Beats ordering from M$C.

metalmagpie

Comment

There was just one word you used there that wrung true, magnificent, she is truly that.
                            When I went to tech school years ago it was the 2' cincinatti (8 of them in a line, no such thing as a camera phone but I wish I had a photo now!)
                            The first shaper project was, you'd guess vee block, but no an 18" folding tool for a press break,
                            Plenty of chips flying with all 8 in use, it was mesmerising to watch 8 shaper Rams moving, like there was a wave?
                            I'm glad no one got hurt in the moving, an exercise like that usually results in black nail, dented head and bloodletting, she must have been happy to move or she wouldent have let you, or at least took a few bites.
                            Lab work it isn't!, (although I put my back out once with a gas chromatograph that rendered me horizontal for 2 weeks)
                            Congratulations, can't wait to see some chips fly, my instructor said, be brave it's doing what it was designed for!
                            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by quasi View Post
                              One of the things I use mine for is doing welding bevels.
                              That statement brings back a lot of memories for me. Back in 1975 when I was a 1st year apprentice in the apprentice training centre at a shipyard, one of the jobs the first years got was doing weld preps on 1/2" plate for the boilermaker apprentices. The plates varied in size from around 12"' long X 2" wide up to 24" long X 4" wide. All just oxy cut from plate with a profile cutter and then chucked into a tank of water to cool them down fast (making the slag reallly hard in the process).
                              The plates would be in several stacks up to about 2' high. We were all rotated though on different machines for 2 weeks at a time for 1st years. So for 2 weeks straight all we would do would be machine the edge flat and then crank that tool feed handle down at an angle. Rinse and repeat. There were 2 shapers there. One was an Invictor with, I think, a 16" or 18" stroke. Quite a nice machine actually and the other was a pre WW1 beast with a 24" stroke that had been converted from line shaft to an electric motor . It had had a hard life. The rocker arm had been broken and braized back together that many times it was more bronze than cast iron.
                              All the best with your shaper

peter

Comment

Working...
                              X