3D ABS printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D ABS printing

I hate to admit this, but I haven't touched my Bridgeport mill since I started to print with ABS. My Hexacopter Drone, I needed a bunch of different mounts, and all of them I was able to 3d print with ABS. I have to say, I really like it. It has more flex than PLA, but it won't deform or melt in a hot car in the summer, and can be chemically polished with acetone vapor.
    The isolation mount for the flight controller was from thingiverse, the GPS mast mount I drew up in Fusion. The aluminum GPS mast, I machined! So there, it's on topic!

These rail mounts I also drew up in Fusion, and have a hole in them to allow a zip tie to reinforce them, but not needed.

This last picture, mount on the left is for a Samsung S3 mini, right one is tripod mount for a full size S3. I have a full size S3, so oops on the one to the left. I just grabbed these off thingiverse.
    Last edited by RB211; 08-25-2017, 11:31 PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That looks like a skunk works project. I can see the one guy standing on top looking at a control panel. The second guy is about to board from the rear.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I got way carried away a year into my 3d printer, and everything was abs or pla even down to some monitor mounts. But as they got past a year old in use some of the more highly stressed things I made started to break. Now I use it as another tool, when it is best in plastic I use the printer, when its better in metal, its on the cnc bridgeport etc.
        We powered it up the other day for the first time in a few weeks to make some needed auto relay mounts for the camping car when replacing the original battery charger with a modern one. No waiting, electrically isolated and strong enough for the job.
        Nice job on the drone, now you have to fly it, and when it crashes you'll be glad of owning a 3d printer even more :-)

Comment

Nice work! Although I can't say much on the choice of plastic color.

Comment

3D ABS printing

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
            Nice work! Although I can't say much on the choice of plastic color.
            Alistair probably likes the color!
            Well, I needed a temporary way to hold an old Samsung S3 cell phone to take videos, while I slowly piece together a custom brushless gimbal for a Sony camera.

Did it this morning

Last edited by RB211; 08-26-2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

3D ABS printing

Originally posted by MrFluffy View Post
              I got way carried away a year into my 3d printer, and everything was abs or pla even down to some monitor mounts. But as they got past a year old in use some of the more highly stressed things I made started to break. Now I use it as another tool, when it is best in plastic I use the printer, when its better in metal, its on the cnc bridgeport etc.
              We powered it up the other day for the first time in a few weeks to make some needed auto relay mounts for the camping car when replacing the original battery charger with a modern one. No waiting, electrically isolated and strong enough for the job.
              Nice job on the drone, now you have to fly it, and when it crashes you'll be glad of owning a 3d printer even more :-)
              A CNC mill is in my distant future. It's a tool that would be a crying shame if I didn't acquire. It's just so easy and quick to print these with ABS, and using Fusion to design the parts. It's a thing of convenience. For anything structural, I will not touch PLA.

I flew it already, testing Stabilize, Altitude Hold, and Loiter, which is GPS pos hold. It's pretty scary how well it all works. Need to do extensive flight testing however if for no other reason, to build confidence. The flight controller and software is open source and highly refined. It's no joke.

Last edited by RB211; 08-26-2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

By the looks of that door knob in the last pic .. you must have some rug rats you are trying to keep out of that room.
                John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
                  By the looks of that door knob in the last pic .. you must have some rug rats you are trying to keep out of that room.
                  LOL. He is three, and simply rips it off the door, and says, "Look daddy, I can open it now"

Comment

Working...
                  X