X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherline announces new "chucker" lathe

Smaller than your average chucker:

http://www.sherlineipd.com/chucker_lathe.htm

What a dinky little lathe, not cheap, I bet.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
      What a dinky little lathe, not cheap, I bet.
      It takes 3c collets, same as a SB 9

Comment

Thats considered industrial ????

Comment

Originally posted by Axkiker View Post
          That was my first thought too. Probably from a preconceived notion that industrial means large machines, though I don't think that any such
          definition actually exists. I suppose if those elves in that hollow tree could compete in the cookie industry, then anything goes.

Comment

Sherline makes a high quality product for the hobby market. Resale on their stuff is very high. They offer a line of 'industrial' headstocks that are not for hobbyists, so I am sure they know if there is a market for this lathe. Not everything industrial is large on done in high quantities. There is a guy that does custom watches and this might very well be ideal for him.

Comment

-Almost certainly not. Sherline is well aware that most of their small machines are pretty much hobbyist-only.

However, there's still a large number of hobbyists who might have need to produce a quantity of parts. Several dozen train wheels, a handful of gear blanks, a bunch of custom-sized spacers or bushings, etc.

A 'standard' Sherline CNC can help automate that, but for parts requiring multiple tools (drilling and turning, drilling and tapping, etc.) you still have to sit there and be the machine's toolchanger. This "chucker" is an easy way to use multiple tools, without going to the expense and complexity of a proper turret.

Doc.
              Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Fancy word that allows them to jack the price up. JR
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

What IS "Industrial"?

Is there a weight limit below which the part is not an industrial part? Nope.....

"Industrial" is "production". If you "produce" big parts, you get big machines. If you "produce" small parts, you get small machines. Watch companies were just as "industrial" as boiler manufacturers, just at a different scale of parts.

So, if you make small parts in volume, that this may be just what you need.

I DO think the "chucker" designation seems to relate more to the tooling setup than to the presence or absence of an actual "chuck". A real "chucker" is set up for operations on parts that are "chucked" as opposed to fed bar stock, usually, Presumably some of the Sherline units are able to take a chuck, although most in the pics for that unit seem to be only "spring chucks", i.e. what we call "collets".

What's in a name?

Looks like a useful little machine if it is in-scale with what you need.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

+1

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                      It takes 3c collets, same as a SB 9
                      Are pot chucks or step collets available in 3c?

Comment

The spindle has an external 3/4-10 thread and Sherline offers 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks, face plates etc. with that thread mount. You can also get a spindle with ER collets, a morse taper, etc. I saw a machine for sale that did some kind of volume machining operation using two Sherline Industrial spindles mated to a fixture plate with a custom slide unit. Small but very versatile machines.

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                          I saw a machine for sale that did some kind of volume machining operation using two Sherline Industrial spindles mated to a fixture plate with a custom slide unit. Small but very versatile machines.
                          No doubt they have some place in some manufacturing. Very specific needs. But Industrial means something more for me.

I think as industrial as being able to take three shifts a day, 365 days a year.

I cannot judge the tool, I dont have one (I would love too though, I cant afford even the basic lathe).

I dont know. Just knowing all the family I had working in industry it seemed a lil off for me.

Ill take a freebie Sherline ANY day of the week. After reading Joe Martin's books cover to cover a few times I have an appreciation. JR
                          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                          X