Moving a Boyar Schultz 6x12 surface grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving a Boyar Schultz 6x12 surface grinder

I've got this little grinder very cheap at the local auction. It is operational and in decent condition, considering it is probably as old as I am. What I did not think about is how I am going to bring it home. There are very few riggers around here and most of them are too busy to help a little guy. The one quote I received is $568 to deliver it to my house and $515 to just load it on my rental trailer - about 3 times the grinder's price. Before I pay that kind of money I want to explore the possibility of moving the machine by myself.

This grinder is not that heavy - 400-700 lb, depending which manual you look at. Neither manual I have specifies how the grinder is attached to its cabinet. The cabinet has a dust collector and the front panel is attached with multiple screws, that was a reason I could not look inside at the day of the auction. Can anybody tell me whether or not I can easily separate the grinder from its cabinet? Are they bolted together or just simply sitting on top of each other? I have an engine lift and anything below 2000 lb is well within its capability.

Anybody knows how heavy the grinder and the cabinet really are? If I can separate them, I would put each one on the furniture dolly and move them outside. Then I would use the engine crane to load them on the trailer. I am planning to remove the table and anything else easily removable to reduce the weight.
    Please tell me I am not crazy for attempting to do it by myself with a friend. Any moving advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

commercial auction? are you allowed? Usually its their people who do the loading, i.e. $50 to put it on your trailer sort of thing.

if not, learning to rig and move is kind of part of it. Do a lot of thinking before acting. Pay attention to where the forces and centre of gravity is and what you lifting from.

I don't know that machine, but many surface grinders have roller tables - they MUST be removed before a move else the table bouncing on them going down the road wrecks the rollers.

Comment

I have a boyar schultz 6/12 I have moved several times. Don't know if they changed things over the many years they were made but...

The table just lifts off, straight up and its a good idea to do so.

The grinder itself bolts to the table with 4 bolts from inside the cabinet that extend into the grinder base.

There are probably lifting holes threaded into the edge of the base of the grinder. That is the spot to attach to. I used a engine hoist each time to move mine. Be careful with the balance point, they are top heavy because of the upright column with the motor. A stabilizing strap on that column to prevent any tendency for the thing to flip upside down is a good idea, just don't put much tension on it.

A furniture dolly works well to move the grinder itself (less cabinet) around on the floor.

Comment

Good advice from Sparky. Moved a Reid 6x18 without too much trouble. Table should come off. Was on a pallet at pickup point and seller put on our trailer with a forklift. Unloaded with engine hoist and moved around on 1/2" pipe (furniture dolly sounds like better idea). It WILL be top heavy, so caution there. With some extra help you can do it safely!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

When I bought my 6x18 Boyar Schultz, the dealer put it in my pick-up bed with a fork lift( cabinet, bed, and mag chuck separated from the grinder). I rented an engine hoist and placed the grinder on the cabinet once it was in position. My grinder has two heavy steel rods sticking out from the left and right sides of the base which I assumed were for rigging, so I used them to lift it with the hoist. No problems and I did it unassisted. BTW, I have never bolted mine to the cabinet as I didn't see the need.

RWO

Comment

Yes, it was a commercial auction. Anybody with a drivers license is allowed to participate - money do not smell for them. The auction house does not do the loading and moving, they just organize things.

Right after the Labor Day I am planning to go to the factory and decide whether or not I can move the grinder out of the building. There may be some steps involved, which will greatly complicate the matters. This is the time to check if they disconnected the power (it was under power at the auction day), check the bolting between grinder and its cabinet and possibly remove the table. Thanks for your help - I'll report the outcome in a few days.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mikey553 View Post
              Yes, it was a commercial auction. Anybody with a drivers license is allowed to participate - money do not smell for them.
              What I meant was an auction of a commercial/industrial site vs some guys barn/garage. Of course the don't load, but they usually have a designated riggers on site and only they are are allowed to move/load. Its SOP at industrial auctions, I suppose because of insurance.....that and auctioneers getting a cut from the riggers.

good luck with it, post photos if you like.

Comment

I picked up some parts of that grinder. Namely a table, a base and a column with the 3 phase motor attached. I was able to load those parts in the trunk of my crown Vic alone and unload them alone and bring into my basement. If you break it down enough and are decently strong it should not be much of an issue. I would disassemble it there and bring a buddy with you. A hand truck helps immensely. As always take your time and do it right. Good purchase.
                12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
                Logan 825 - work in progress
                My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
                Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
                Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

Comment

Well, the grinder is sitting in my garage. I moved it yesterday on the rented Uhaul trailer. The grinder was not bolted to its cabinet, although there was a provision for that. I have used my engine hoist to pick up both pieces and set them on the furniture dollies, which were just the perfect size for the job. That was the easy part.

The company building apparently did not have a single drive-in access door. Every door had at least a couple of steps down to the driveway level. Local guy helped me to fight these steps with a couple of hand trucks. Loading the trailer and unloading it back home was uneventful. My hoist is worth every penny I paid for it. This particular grinder had a factory installed dust collection system in the cabinet. The system was not in use recently, instead they were using a shop vacuum. Upon opening the front cabinet door I have found a lot of grinding dust, saturated with oil. When I have a little free time, I'll try to understand how this dust collector was supposed to function. But I may as well continue using the shop vac, just need to make an adapter from the vacuum hose to the wheel guard port.

While I am working on the grinder the auction guy comes in and asks whether or not I want to get any of the pedestal grinders, which are in the same room. So I've got the Delta Rockwell double end 1/2 HP grinder for $20. The only drawback - it has a 3 phase motor. I'll have to get a VFD for my Boyar Schultz anyway, so I can probably use it for the pedestal grinder as well. So far I was unable to find a spindle motor nameplate. I would not be surprised that it is covered by dirt and not visible at the moment. It should be 1/2 HP, 240 V, 3 phase motor, but who knows... I need the motor data anyway to program the VFD, can anybody help?

The hardest part for me was backing up the trailer from my driveway. This was the first time for me pulling a trailer. It took me probably half a dozen attempts to reach the street, but I managed.

Mike

Comment

Welcome to the Boyer Schultz 6x12 club. Mine is a deluxe also with the dust collector cabinet. I would post photos but photo bucket went all retard and I haven't found a new hosting site I like yet.

Comment

Mike, it make you feel good to get your 1st move done. You'll be moving 10,000# lathes any day now. Just think of how the did it 100 years ago with many less things than we have now & no use paying more to move a machine than you payed for it IF you can do it safely.
                      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                      country, in easy stages."
                      ~ James Madison

Comment

We have a 6x12 at work also,good little machines.I just added flood coolant to it this past week,that addition made it a whole different machine and dust is no longer an issue.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                        X