OT time clock alarm/horn ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doctor demo View Post
    Your first link wants me to create an account, the second link tells me that I can't preview it.

Steve
    Thanks for the information Steve, you cant preview it because it is an exe file.

Comment

Originally posted by doctor demo View Post
      Your first link wants me to create an account, the second link tells me that I can't preview it.

Steve
      Thanks Steve, that is useful information.

John

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
        Do neither of my Dropbox links work or do no one try?

John
        The second link in post 26 worked for me. Antivirus instantly "neutralized it and the directory" after I tried to run it - thought that a bit strange, even the directory was gone. I had to turn antivirus off to run it, but it would only download with antivirus on. ran as administrator and it seemed to start and stop ok
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

That's good news. Looks like you can get around the anti virus protection if I need to send you an exe.
          Meanwhile, I will wait for news of the USB relay device.

John

Comment

I have the software done and I am waiting for my USB relays to arrive so I can test the software here.

Meanwhile, is this project still on for you?

Comment

yes still on....it may be weeks before the relay arrives though, I will definitely pipe up when its here

Comment

Thats fine, it took me ages to find the required information but I think I have all I need to get this sorted. I have ordered a couple for my use too and they may arrive before yours do.

John

Comment

Bump..... waiting for items to arrive.

Comment

Mcgyver, I guess you are still waiting for the item to arrive there? I ordered a couple and nothing arrived here which is a surprise as such things usually take only a few days..

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                      Mcgyver, I guess you are still waiting for the item to arrive there? I ordered a couple and nothing arrived here which is a surprise as such things usually take only a few days..
                      still waiting. I suspect its a 4 week thing, slow boat from China

Comment

I arrived home today to find a courier had left a card for me to pickup as sign-for parcel in town, it is very likely my USB relay so what a coincidence if yours should arrive today too!

Comment

Hi Mcgyver..

My USB relay did arrive today and there is not a scrap of documentation with it!

Nonetheless and with the generous assistance of the Internet I have got it working with my little dedicated program which is good as it shows me how the things work.

There is still a way to go however before it is a 'product' I could send you..

Comment

nothing today - glad you're making headway

Comment

I should really be working on my project in the shop but I am indoors drinking coffee and sorting this out.

John

Comment

I just need to check the program a bit more but here is the manual:-

USB Relay Control Program

The little program I have written is best run from the Command Line and most times will be invisible to the user.

The program is called USBHoot.exe and it can be anywhere at all on the hard drive, just dont forget where you put it!

To run the program first plug the relay unit in a USB port and determine what COM port has been assigned to it by Windows. Just go to Device Manager and look for the 'Ports' listing, the USBRelay unit will show its type name as CH340 (probably). Note the port number and close Device Manager.

Now find the Command Line. On my Windows 10 I right click on the lower right of the screen and that opens a 'black' (i.e. negative image) menu, click on the 'run' entry and that will open a 'Run' Window, enter 'CMD' (without the punctuation) in the window and click OK. That should bounce you back in a 25 year time shift to the world of Dos! (It is not really Dos but we can treat it as if it was.)

The Dos window will have a promt showing where you 'are', in my case C:\Users\John>

Now we are ready to start the USB relay control program. Just type in the full path and file name of the control program and press enter just as you would to start a program under Dos. The program should start but it will finish immediately as we need to add parameters to the command.

Press F3 and your command should reappear and you type the parameters after the program name. The first parameter we will set is the COM port to use, like this.

.....USBHoot.exe p:8 where 8 is the COM port to use. Enter that command just to check if there are not errors so far.

Press F3 and this time add a space followed by the letter 't' after the command. Hopefully you will hear the relay unit make two clicks as the relay first closes then after half a second opens. That is the basic command to toot the shop horn.

I have written a few parameters... you can put multiple parameters but they must be separated by a space character.. You must always have the 'p: ' parameter and it should be first.

The list
                                p: the COM port number

t a half second close of the relay

t: followed by a single digit to define a time in half seconds to give a long close of the relay, example t:6 will close the relay for 3 seconds

w: followed by a single digit to define a wait interval in half seconds.

c close relay

o open relay

r: followed by a single digit to specify the number of times to repeat the parameters.

m: opens a window on the screen with controls to manually open and close the realy, you can also set the port number.

Examples:-

...USBHoot.exe p:8 t
                                half second close on port 8

...USBHoot.exe p:8 t t t t t t:8
                                five short closures followed by one long closure

...USBHoot.exe p:8 c
                                closes the relay and closes the program.

...USBHoot.exe p:8 t w:6 r:5
                                short closure, waits 3 seconds and does that 5 times.

Of course you will be putting those commands in to the Task Scheduler as it might get a bit stale typing them in every time you want to toot the shop horn!

I trust that will meet your needs?

John
                                Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 09-22-2017, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X