Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Thats good news and thank you for letting me know.

john

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    The horn is up and running, got the computers sorted out and Hoot is performing perfectly!

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Thanks Mcgyver, I await further project implementation reports!

John

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    just checking in, they had an idea to set up a new computer while we were at it, person I have doing so won't get it finished until tomorrow. We had an extra box and the old computer in that local was about shot.....I can't report on the final success yet, but just wanted you to know its not for lack of interest!

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
    testing at home, works perfectly, I plan on installing it tomorrow. I did remember to take it in, so made it that far, but have been running around and there hasn't been a time when the plant manager and I have both been there for a week.
    Thanks, I would like to know how it all works in practice.

John

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    Rube would be proud!
    'splain please?

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
    Mcgyver, how did the system work in practice?
    testing at home, works perfectly, I plan on installing it tomorrow. I did remember to take it in, so made it that far, but have been running around and there hasn't been a time when the plant manager and I have both been there for a week.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    Rube would be proud!

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Mcgyver, how did the system work in practice?

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Thats good!

Yes they do make it hard to find information on their product especially as they do not exactly advertise the makers name. In fact I thought I would never find it until I looked at the details of the 64bit driver W10 had used and right there it says the driver was from wch.cn.

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
    I had a look around and I think this is where to find the driver you need...http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_EXE.html

I could send you my driver file but it is 64bit version.

John
    eureka! bit of old speaker wire and I'm good to go for Monday

i don't know how you found that driver but it worked. Its neat product, but they make it really really hard to find what you need to use. The box at work will likely be w10 or XP....we'll see if it works there.

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    I had a look around and I think this is where to find the driver you need...http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_EXE.html

I could send you my driver file but it is 64bit version.

John

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Thanks for the update and I hope you can get the device to work.

I didn't ask but does your box have a real com port on it? If it does we could always use that as a fallback but you would need a simple transistor circuit to drive a small relay from the modem control lines, hopefully you wont have to do that especially having waited all this time for the USB widgets to be delivered.

john
    Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 10-13-2017, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Hi John,

i had a chance to work on this today - the program runs perfectly and I think the way you have organized it with switches/parameters and the use of MS scheduler is fantastic. Nice work and thanks again.

Thwarting success though is getting the box to recognize the USB device. It can't find a suitable driver - windows 7. I see it listed as a USB device with the little yellow caution triangle under "other devices" Searching around the web, there is something about apparently the manufacturer doesn't always get the voltage right for USB standard so they're not recognized, and a workaround is a hub. I'll try that

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Hi Mcgyver, thats good. I have put the file on my drop box with this link https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpavd1gmjghn848/Hoot.dat?dl=0

Hopefully it will allow you to download a .DAT file without objection and you can rename to .EXE.

Note, with this version all you have to do is run it from the command line and it will find the usb relay and do a single toot before closing the program.

John

Leave a comment:

Working...
X