McMaster-Carr shipping tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McMaster-Carr shipping tips

I rarely order from McMaster-Carr because of pricing and shipping cost so I was pleasantly surprised to learn that they will ship USPS. Shipping to Alaska USPS reduces shipping cost considerably.

How this all came about was I had ordered felt material for way wipers and checked the box for UPS Ground shipping because that was the cheapest option available to me, (I thought). Anyway, McMaster-Carr shipped it UPS 2nd Air to the tune of $54+ so I called them to get it straightened out. I've always heard their service is 2nd to none and they did not disappoint me. Not only did they credit me $54+ but they also schooled me on how to ship USPS.

FYI, On the order form there is an options box for shipping. Check the box and in the diaglog box tell them how you want it shipped, USPS priority, small, medium or large flat rate box box etc.

Surplus Center in Nebraska will do the same thing. I had them go to considerable effort using flat rate boxes to save me shipping cost.

Thanks for the info. Even though I'm in CONUS, I, too, rarely order from McMaster due to shipping costs. I'm always happy when I find a site that allows USPS flat rate, especially when ordering metals!
    Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

I've always found their shipping pretty reasonable. I've never asked for anything over ground because for me the Cleveland branch is usually next day, and the Chicago branch is 2nd day.

Comment

If you're shipping within a few hundred miles USPS has Regional priority, you have to go on line to do it but it saves a bunch & the post office picks it up on their route.
        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
        country, in easy stages."
        ~ James Madison

Comment

I've some how set mine up years ago and the word "cheapest shipping" is on all my orders. Now I'm only 100 miles away so I get orders the next bizz day and the shipping is alway reasonable .

Comment

Be very aware of size. I ordered a 10' length of Sch80 1/2" PVC pipe from McMaster-Carr. The pipe was $5.85. They usually ship UPS or FEDEX ground rates. Because it was over 8' they shipped Conway freight...for $69.69. No advance warning.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by KMoffett View Post
              Be very aware of size. I ordered a 10' length of Sch80 1/2" PVC pipe from McMaster-Carr. The pipe was $5.85. They usually ship UPS or FEDEX ground rates. Because it was over 8' they shipped Conway freight...for $69.69. No advance warning.

Ken
              Is this the first time you ordered from a catalog or sent a package? Surely you must know about shipping restrictions.

Perhaps you're in a foreign country. (Outside Texas)

Comment

Talk about buyer's remorse!
                “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Working...
                X