Work Buildings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Buildings

I have seen ads for those building that you and a few friends can put up yourself, after have a concrete pad poured. Anyone done this type of building? Any pointers or tips?

Thanks,

Jerry

You mean a pole barn. IOWOLF has one for his shop and it looks good,solid. I think he said the slab was the major cost.

Comment

Hi, I do have one. A steel master, i love it. if you wish to give me a call i can tell you an earfull. I would here but I dont type well, and it would take forever.

thanx, rustybolt. I hope the saw is comeing along well.

Comment

You see these house trailers frames sitting around with the trailer cleared off.

LOOK at one, they are light I-beam with sheetmetal cross supports the floor used to sit on.

Cut the trailer frame up into lengths you want the wall tall.. cut out plate to bolt to the concrete floor. Stand the I-beams up with the cross arms to the outside and weld to the floor plates.. BOLT your metal siding to the cross arms with TEK screws.

Sounds like a $1000 building to me.

I used wood frame on the walls, stood them up and them fastened the metal siding on the stud walls.

I like to take the ridge pole, put a similar sized board on the ceiling joists and put plywood between the two. THIS is so strong you can pull car engines with it easily. It locks the ridge and the ceiling together and spreads the weight across the building.

I have the middle of My 12" ibeam hanging on the affair listed above.. I also have it sitting on the outside wall above my garage double door. I notched the Ibeam and welded the flat back on it so the bottom top would sit on the wall..

OR, you could do what everyone else does, just write a check to some contractor that will rape your wallet.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-11-2005).]

Comment

I have a friend who bought one of the metal type buildings that advertise how easy it is to set up. I'm not sure of the brand name, but one of those that have rounded corners. His is 40x80, so a substantial size, but the "trusses" were more than several guys could handle. These guys do construction for a living, so we are not talking about office types trying to stand the trusses up either.

They ended up being rescued by a guy down the street with an old time crane that made it work. The building once completed is very nice, but its not the "day at the beach" as advertised.

rollin'

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 09-02-2004).]

Comment

On another post, there is a picture of a 4wd dodge powerwagon with a gin pole, a pair of pipes forming a tee with a cable going up to them for the winch.

It is holding up in the air about five feet a farmall cub.

That should hold a truss.

In INdianna they use old trucks with a type arrangement to lift tractors for tire changes etc.. I have saw numerous 50 model trucks in fields with these.

There are always numerous ways to accomplish anything. Depends on your perspective.

Comment

I can setup the forms for the concrete and have a concrete company pour the foundation. I know I have to put gravel down and then run over the gravel with my borrowed "monster truck" to compact it, then pour and level.
                Then get the nail gun out and start building walls. I am not real keen on using a Gin Pole, but it may be neccessary for the roof trusses.

Or I may just write a check, don't know yet.

Jerry

Comment

One of our customers put one up,I believe it was 60x100,he found it was easyist to assemble the truss on top of a rolling scaffold that he built up to just higher than the finished truss,they he just rolled it into place and removed two blocks lowering it on to the anchor bolts,went like clock work and lots easier than trying to hang it all in the air.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 08-11-2004).]
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Jerry,

I have a 40 x 50 metal building on a concrete slab. The manufacturer sent all of the plans as per my spec which layed out the foundation and all of the foundation bolt patterns for the steel beams. The building was erected by two people and a big fork truck in 3 days. It is insulated and has two 10 X 10 powered doors and a double mandoor. There are also 5 windows installed. I had it beefed up with heavier steel beams and roof sheeting material because I am so close to the Gulf of Mexico. Hurricanes can be a problem in this area. It has proven to be a great shop and very strong.

Joe

Comment

My neighbour used to have one of those round metal buildings. He said "Never again" The structure was good and solid but he lost alot of space over head. Because it was round he could only put the hoist in the middle of the garage.

Something to think about when it come time to build. nothing more frustrating then lowering the height of an in house crane because it won't lift over the machines due to the roof.

If you build it yourself, and it comes time to install the trussing, just hire a boom truck. For the price and time it would be worth it....Just my opinion

Rob

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 09-02-2004).]

Comment

The problem with Morton buildings is they are a metal building, but with wood framing, such that you have to have conventional roof trusses and therefore loose the ceiling height advantages of the roof pitch of a typical steel frame metal building.

I was tempted to buy a ex CNC machine shop that was out in the country near here that was a Morton building. 7,000 sq feet I could have bought for $75,000. But upon closer inspection I was very unimpressed with the building.

Any money you might save with a wood frame construction you will more than loose when you resell eventually.

Comment

I am not trying to save money, I want a substantial building. It looks like I will be in Southeastern Ohio, the hills of Ohio.

What I want is a strong building, one that I can a have garage door or a hanger door as a part of the main entrance. Then divider walls. Or maybe do 2 buildings. Right now I am doing all of this in my basement and my 2 car garage.

I need to look at having four work areas, wood working, machining, delicate metal work/jewelry and blacksmithing.

I have to put this all on 2 or 3 acres and leave room for outside storage, building a new house, etc. etc. etc.

Jerry

[This message has been edited by jfsmith (edited 08-12-2004).]

Comment

Plus I want to put in a sound system so if nothing else I can jam to the tunes.

Comment

Working...
                              X