Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norman Bain
    replied
    You certainly do like that loctite stuff.

Perhaps adding a thread to the inner and outer (with a slot in end of the screw that is the inner) would make it all just that bit more secure.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Today was the day for slide valves and slide valve nuts. I had a lot of trouble with the slide valves.--You know how it is---Measure wrong, cut too deep, launch part across room, solder short end to add piece back on--Maybe my mother was right about not working on Sundays. At any rate, I persevered and finished the parts.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    This afternoon I made the gland nuts for the steamchests. I'm done for today. I had a couple of thoughts today.--#1 thought--I have this thing finished to the point where another days work could see it running without the Stephensons reversing linkage. #2thought---I think I need to tap the holes in the side of my steam chests, otherwise I have no way to attach the pressure lines to it.--May have to tap the exhaust holes in the sides of the cylinders.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    This mornings work was to finish the eccentric straps. The long bolt represents the linkage which will extend up from the eccentric strap to the Stephensons reversing linkage. The clamp bolt at the sawcut allows tightening or loosening the fit of the strap to the eccentric itself, and the short bolt which you see extending into the bore fits into the slot in the eccentric to keep the strap from trying to fall of the eccentric as the engine runs.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Well--That didn't turn out to shabby!! I still have to part the four straps off from the parent stock, and add threaded holes and saw cuts. I'm happy with it. Now if I can part it off without any disasters, I'm almost ready to start sorting out linkages.--Disregard the 3D drawing it's setting on. That's a design job I'm working on for a customer.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    I'm not really sure how this is going to turn out, but it's ,uhmmm---interesting. The shape is very definitely there. Now that the basic shape is there, it's time to transfer into the 4 jaw on my lathe to bore and ream the 5/8" hole, 2" deep.
    Then if I'm lucky, I will part off four eccentric straps. I will do the tapped holes and sawcuts after all four straps are parted off.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    The eccentric strap on the original Stuart models (shown in yellow) is very pretty, but difficult to make as it looks like it will require a lot of rotary table work on the outer perimeter. I have redesigned it so that it requires no rotary table work. It is made in two stages--first with definite corners on the left hand side, then mounted on a mandrel and the corners knocked down with a file. The end result looks fine, and requires no rotary table work at all.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Heron
    replied
    I think Dan is on to something. A way to preserve this fine work should be considered.
    Best regards,
    Jon

Leave a comment:

• Dan_the_Chemist
    replied
    Self publication of an e-book will cost very very little. It will cost some time, some writing, some editing. The biggest hassle is that you would probably want to construct another model up to this point to uniformly capture the detail.

The production and editing is not a big issue. I've written several technical books, and I was on the editorial board of several major publications before I went my own way. I can handle the collation into a book... it's not a big deal.

The work flow would be as follows -

You would do what you are doing now. Making the model, taking pictures, writing some text, submitting it here.

I would capture it all, and start collating it into word here.
    I might make suggestions for edits. You would probably want to approve the content editing, but maybe not be bothered with grammar editing.

Once your end of the machining project is finished, I'd add some chapter headings, some pagination (it's all done semi automatically in word), and maybe even some index stuff. Then I'd turn it into a PDF file. Viola, it's an e-book. All the pictures are in the e-book.

We'd want to give HSM the first bite at publishing the e-book, although it doesn't seem like they are set up to do so. If they don't want it, then we'd throw it into the winds and let anybody who wanted a copy have it free. Publish it under the GNU license agreement. The file will not be dependent on photobucket, imageshack, HSM, etc. Copies will be handed around for years to come. I know... my paper-based books are still being sold by the publisher, but scanned versions are readily available on-line.

I'm not saying this for any sort of profit motive. I just admire your work and think it's too good to lose it to the vagaries of photobucket and imageshack, etc. Let's make it available for years and years to come. It won't take you any extra work, unless you decide to redo the first part of the machining. And you know you want to fix some little goofs here and there, and make those brazes look perfect ... doncha?

Dan

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Probably a larger percentage, as that would be about 1/40th of one magazine reader.... Point is taken though.

Despite that, VP have published several books on items that appear to have even fewer folks who would build the project.... How many people really build an entire Shay locomotive? There's a book on it. Maybe more folks buy the book than build, but it cannot be THAT many more.

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    ..... (Have you noticed that the one person who asked for more "in depth" coverage of set-ups, etcetera seems to have vanished.--He hasn't posted here since I started doing what he asked for???)
    Maybe he is just looking at them..... In any case, I bet he was not alone in wanting the pics. I find them interesting also, and have already picked up an idea or two myself, although I usually have no trouble with setups.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 10-26-2017, 10:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    I have asked about publishing a book, but the answers were negative. This entire model machinist thing represents about .0001% of the readers out there. There simply aren't going to be enough people interested in a book like this to cover the cost of publication. I was told that I could "self publish", whereby I would handle all the expenses myself, but I don't think I'll go down that road. When I die, and all my subscriptions to Photobucket and Imageshack lapse, then the pictures will be gone, and the tech write-ups are useless without the pictures.---Brian (Have you noticed that the one person who asked for more "in depth" coverage of set-ups, etcetera seems to have vanished.--He hasn't posted here since I started doing what he asked for???)

Leave a comment:

• Dan_the_Chemist
    replied
    Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    Dan---Books? I don't have any plans for a book. Some forum members have asked for more information about set-ups, etcetera, so I'm just trying to oblige them.
    I saw the requests and the response. Maybe you aren't thinking about putting all of this together into a book, but you are doing all the hard parts already. If you don't have plans for a book, perhaps you should develop such plans. Not for making money (although you may make a few dollars over the years), but to help keep the information alive for successive hobby machinists. We might not be around in 20 years, but I'll bet there will still be people who love to make chips and want to know how to do this sort of thing.

It could be an ebook available in PDF format. HSM could sell it for a few bucks and give you a healthy cut.
    Last edited by Dan_the_Chemist; 10-26-2017, 08:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Dan---Books? I don't have any plans for a book. Some forum members have asked for more information about set-ups, etcetera, so I'm just trying to oblige them.

Leave a comment:

• Dan_the_Chemist
    replied
    At the current level of detail - parts, set up, and process - you are creating a damn nice little book. Unfortunately you didn't start with this level of detail. Once you get this one done you'll have to start another one so you can get that same level of detail for the first part of the build.

Put me down to buy one of the books.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X