No announcement yet.

Back to Steam--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of curiosity, I wanted to have some idea of the force that would be exerted on the pistons by the compressed air I will be using. At 60 psi, each piston will exert about 26 pounds of linear thrust. With a 3/8" crank offset (half of the 3/4" stroke) that rounds out at about 9.75 inch pounds of torque. If I consider that I have two pistons operating on a 90 degree crankshaft, I can't double that 9.75 inch pounds, but I should be able to use a 1.5 multiplier, so about 14.6 inch pounds of torque. This converts to 1.2 foot pounds of torque. So--If I hang a 1.2 pound weight 12" away from the center of the crankshaft and the crankshaft doesn't rotate, I'm in trouble.
    Brian Rupnow

Comment

• What?????

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
      Oregon Coast

Comment

• Numbers check out.

Test seems reasonable, although I am not certain that the system is quite bidirectional, but it may be.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

• I have two really dreadful pieces of bronze left over from that 50 pound weight that found it's way to my house. It made a lot of beautiful flywheels, and now I'm using the left over scraps. These two pieces are destined to become the reversing shaft brackets which hang of the face of the steamchest covers.

Last edited by brian Rupnow; 10-26-2017, 09:00 AM.
          Brian Rupnow

Comment

• The pieces are laid out and the rectangular profile I require is cut free, leaving about .031" all around the perimeter greater than the finished size I will need.
            Last edited by brian Rupnow; 10-26-2017, 01:36 PM.
            Brian Rupnow

Comment

• The rectangular pieces are held in my mill vice and brought down to finished thickness, and all holes are drilled.
              Brian Rupnow

Comment

• The rectangular pieces are sawed/filed/sanded to their final shape, and a simple fixture made up so I can mount them in the lathe to turn material away from both sides, to expose the "boss" on each side.
                Brian Rupnow

Comment

• The fixture is mounted in the 3 jaw chuck in my lathe, and first one side is turned, then the other on both brackets, exposing the boss on each side.
                  Brian Rupnow

Comment

• And here we have the two reversing shaft brackets installed, with the reversing shaft setting in them.
                    Brian Rupnow

Comment

• At the current level of detail - parts, set up, and process - you are creating a damn nice little book. Unfortunately you didn't start with this level of detail. Once you get this one done you'll have to start another one so you can get that same level of detail for the first part of the build.

Put me down to buy one of the books.

Comment

• Dan---Books? I don't have any plans for a book. Some forum members have asked for more information about set-ups, etcetera, so I'm just trying to oblige them.
                        Brian Rupnow

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                          Dan---Books? I don't have any plans for a book. Some forum members have asked for more information about set-ups, etcetera, so I'm just trying to oblige them.
                          I saw the requests and the response. Maybe you aren't thinking about putting all of this together into a book, but you are doing all the hard parts already. If you don't have plans for a book, perhaps you should develop such plans. Not for making money (although you may make a few dollars over the years), but to help keep the information alive for successive hobby machinists. We might not be around in 20 years, but I'll bet there will still be people who love to make chips and want to know how to do this sort of thing.

It could be an ebook available in PDF format. HSM could sell it for a few bucks and give you a healthy cut.
                          Last edited by Dan_the_Chemist; 10-26-2017, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• I have asked about publishing a book, but the answers were negative. This entire model machinist thing represents about .0001% of the readers out there. There simply aren't going to be enough people interested in a book like this to cover the cost of publication. I was told that I could "self publish", whereby I would handle all the expenses myself, but I don't think I'll go down that road. When I die, and all my subscriptions to Photobucket and Imageshack lapse, then the pictures will be gone, and the tech write-ups are useless without the pictures.---Brian (Have you noticed that the one person who asked for more "in depth" coverage of set-ups, etcetera seems to have vanished.--He hasn't posted here since I started doing what he asked for???)
                            Brian Rupnow

Comment

• Probably a larger percentage, as that would be about 1/40th of one magazine reader.... Point is taken though.

Despite that, VP have published several books on items that appear to have even fewer folks who would build the project.... How many people really build an entire Shay locomotive? There's a book on it. Maybe more folks buy the book than build, but it cannot be THAT many more.

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                              ..... (Have you noticed that the one person who asked for more "in depth" coverage of set-ups, etcetera seems to have vanished.--He hasn't posted here since I started doing what he asked for???)
                              Maybe he is just looking at them..... In any case, I bet he was not alone in wanting the pics. I find them interesting also, and have already picked up an idea or two myself, although I usually have no trouble with setups.
                              Last edited by J Tiers; 10-26-2017, 10:04 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

• Self publication of an e-book will cost very very little. It will cost some time, some writing, some editing. The biggest hassle is that you would probably want to construct another model up to this point to uniformly capture the detail.

The production and editing is not a big issue. I've written several technical books, and I was on the editorial board of several major publications before I went my own way. I can handle the collation into a book... it's not a big deal.

The work flow would be as follows -

You would do what you are doing now. Making the model, taking pictures, writing some text, submitting it here.

I would capture it all, and start collating it into word here.
                                I might make suggestions for edits. You would probably want to approve the content editing, but maybe not be bothered with grammar editing.

Once your end of the machining project is finished, I'd add some chapter headings, some pagination (it's all done semi automatically in word), and maybe even some index stuff. Then I'd turn it into a PDF file. Viola, it's an e-book. All the pictures are in the e-book.

We'd want to give HSM the first bite at publishing the e-book, although it doesn't seem like they are set up to do so. If they don't want it, then we'd throw it into the winds and let anybody who wanted a copy have it free. Publish it under the GNU license agreement. The file will not be dependent on photobucket, imageshack, HSM, etc. Copies will be handed around for years to come. I know... my paper-based books are still being sold by the publisher, but scanned versions are readily available on-line.

I'm not saying this for any sort of profit motive. I just admire your work and think it's too good to lose it to the vagaries of photobucket and imageshack, etc. Let's make it available for years and years to come. It won't take you any extra work, unless you decide to redo the first part of the machining. And you know you want to fix some little goofs here and there, and make those brazes look perfect ... doncha?

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X