Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sasquatch
    replied
    always enjoy following your posts Brian, great interesting stuff. Much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    It apparently is true that a lot of ER visits have the victim saying "I've been doing that for years with no problems"......... Just sayin', yah know.....
    It sets in the garage under my wife's bedroom----Not mine.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    ....... Compressed air does fine, costs me nothing, and I've had the compressor for 30 years.
    It apparently is true that a lot of ER visits have the victim saying "I've been doing that for years with no problems"......... Just sayin', yah know.....

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Nah--I've made it thru 71 years without blowing myself up or burning myself badly. No boilers for me. Compressed air does fine, costs me nothing, and I've had the compressor for 30 years.

Leave a comment:

• woodenbird
    replied
    Dave,
    I think those for younger persons ran on alcohol or the solid version of alcohol if I remember. I had one as a kid.

Leave a comment:

• dave_r
    replied
    Now you just need to build the boiler tank so it's a proper steam engine.

I remember growing up, we had a small steam engine, maybe 1/4" bore, about 3/4" stroke or so, with a water tank about 3" long x 1.5" round, fill it with water, then use small bits of wood or little cubes of "something" (don't know what it was) that would burn and boil the water. It was fun seeing how hot you could get the tank to make the engine go faster.

Something like this:
    https://www.ministeam.com/acatalog/J...0.html#SID=248

Only the one we had was safe for use by children under 14. It must have used a different kind of flame.

Leave a comment:

• RichR
    replied
    Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    ... I'm sure that many were bored to tears with my posts from almost every day, ...
    Nothing could be further from the truth. I enjoy following along on your builds. I think this engine has a very pleasing sound when it's running.

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    Thanks again Brian! Really enjoyed it.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    I see that my first post on this engine was on the 4th of September. That's two and one half months of my life that demanded work on the engine just about every day. I'm sure that many were bored to tears with my posts from almost every day, but they mostly all showed the constant development of the engine. It was fun, taught me a few things, and was a nice break from i.c. engines. I still want to develop a nice intake and exhaust set-up for this engine, but I'm relieved that it is 99% finished and that it ran. This is the first time I have downloaded a 3D model from someone I don't know and have never met, and created drawings and working components from it. Whoever created that 3D model did an excellent job. I found one very minor error, and that was all. When you consider the vast quantity of math data that goes into developing accurate 3D models, this guy was first class. Thank you to all who commented or helped out along the way. The fat lady hasn't sang yet, there will be a few more posts showing the intake and exhaust manifolds, but we are almost thru here. It's been a great build.

Leave a comment:

• woodenbird
    replied
    Great job Brian. Nice to see it run both ways. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    In order to cover some of my cost of materials in this build, I will exchange a complete set of my drawings for a $25 Canadian donation.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Video works fine Brian. Nice job on the engine. Very cool. Thanks for showing it, and keeping up the build thread. It's nice to see something come alive from a pile of material.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Okay kiddies--Here we go!! A running and reversing, all bar stock engine. Thank you so much to all of the forum members who stepped up and offered assistance when I was trying to figure out how to make the reversing mechanism work. Someone please give me a heads up if you can see the video alright.---Brian
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-oKiCXyFyE

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Today we had success. The engine ran on both cylinders, forward and then reverse. It's not video worthy yet, but it certainly made my old heart go pitter patter. I had a tough time getting the eccentrics set in the correct position on the second cylinder. I could get it to run, but only clockwise. then I would adjust it a little bit and it would only run counterclockwise. Finally, I played "Around the clock" and moved it in 20 degree increments until I found the sweet spot, where it would run in either direction as dictated by the reversing levers position and in concert with the first cylinder. At the end of the day I scrounged around in my shop until I found a piece of steel to make a second flywheel. I'm not sure if I actually need it or not, but even if I only use it during "set-up" procedures you can never have too many extra flywheels around.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Progress report. I have everything back together but the cylinder closest to the flywheel is still acting quite wimpy. I need a break from this before I break out in hives!!! I have to go across town now and do some business, and maybe when I get home later I can try a teensy bit of adjusting on the eccentric on that underperforming side. If I'm really, really lucky, that may be all it takes. Hope--hope.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X