X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is a shaper a worthwhile purchase?

I am tired everytime I see a shaper for sale being told
    "You don't need one you have a milling machine"
    well if this is so why do so many people still rave about shapers.
    I would have thought a shaper was a good investment even if used sparingly, as they can be found so cheaply here in the uk.
    Why for that kind of money you couldn't buy a decent small hand tool new.
    So if the are good value pound for pound why are so many people wary of buying them?
    Are they truly redundant after the brith of the milling machine?
    If this is true why are our good old friends our American brothers still nuts about them Alistair P.S. I think they are beautiful as an art form never mind anything else, so much older machinery is so if I get a small one cheap then unless someone here gives me avery good reason not to go ahead I will buy oone and paint it bright green to annoy you
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

It's a space thing.

A shaper definately has its uses and the tooling is dirt cheap. If I read you right, you'll have a lot of fun and get some productive work from a good shaper. For that reason, Alistair, I suggest if you have the space for a 16" shaper get one.

Paint it, green, hell, paint it plaid if it will PO Stevenson.

Comment

Alistair,

I had a 7" Atlas shaper in excellent condition that I sold because it was taking up room that I needed for other things. I wish I had never sold it. Didn't use it much but there are things that you can do with a shaper that you can't do with a mill. The Mill did basicly replace the shaper but a mill cant make a square hole in the end of a piece of metal.

They look better in Gray than they do in Green.

Joe

Comment

OK Joe grey it is Alistair

Comment

How about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3832444036

Nice small and dinky but it only comes in blue.

Or post #12492 on Chris Heapies page

------------------
          John S.
          Nottingham, England

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I wonder how much it would cost to mail it over here. John, you are mean and evil.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

well he's not going to get it cheap now John
              because youve told the world.
              that is one that he is already watching.
              all the best.....mark

Comment

Admittedly its a small one, but even on small shapers, a table support foot is best. That one does not have such a support.

The Atlas 7B does, which amounts to most of the Atlas shapers made, I believe.

The support makes it much easier to get a good surface quality, and a good plane surface.

As far as shapers, yeah they are nice. They peel off lots of metal, if teh tool is ground right, with hardly any effort.

My favorite description of a shaper is "a lathe for flat stuff".

But you will have to get into that shop and use whatcha got now.....cut some threads, etc. Next machine, use it, don't paint it!

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Hey If I buy it I will paint it if I like Alistair

Comment

My Aamco 7" shaper doesn't take up that much room. I've only had it about a year. Haven't done much with it either, but it looks nice sitting next to my milling machine and my pedistal vise and dent machine. I plan to do things like make v shape cuts for attachments for my Lathe. my milling machine(mill drill round column) is a PITA to setup for doing this kind of stuff. I had also a dream of making rack gears for some projects. I have two old horizontal mills that are one step above large boat anchors. One of them will be a working mill again some day, and the other one will be converted into some kind of wood working machine that will mill slots I think.

Allistar, my brother and his wife are comming to your part of the world this month for a week vacation. He was a theater major in college. He is a props director at a theater in Orange county CA, and his wife is a theater electrician and lighting designer. (Technical people not actors) They will probably be spending a great deal of time in the Theater district of London, but will be doing some traveling. This is John's third trip to the UK; he spent a semester there during his college years. Any tips on interesting things to do and see, I would be happy to pass on to him. Wish I could go too.

By the way my Ammco is a very tasteful pealing blueish grey color. I think I have an extra can of pealing paint that I can get IBEW to help me e-bay.
                    Matt

Comment

Example of shaper use....

My father-in-law has a Logan that he wants to sell, as it is "extra".

It was missing the removable extension of the cross-slide that covers the slide dovetail. In the original, this is a casting, with a flat part at a slight angle to attach to the slide, an upsy-down u-shaped portion to cover the slide, and a slight lip at the end.

So, I had a chunk of aluminum the right size, which the Atlas shaper quite handily hogged out the excess material to form the part, taking nice peelings up to about .150 x 0.030 and the length of the piece.

Each stroke took just a few seconds. Much faster than milling it, and the little curls were far easier to clean up, even if it does pitch them all over.

Alistair, paint it if you must, but hit the "on" button and make it go. Get those lounge-lizard machines working.
                      We want to see some honest dings in that paint!

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Everyone lighten up grrrrr if I hear one more person tell me what colour to paint my machines, or to leave them alone don't paint them and make chips, I will explode.
                        I did not buy the machinery to look at.
                        Stop worrying I will be using my machinery but circumstances have not allowed me to use them to date.
                        I point out I am still in the process of building the workshop it is almost complete but I don't as yet have electricity for example or the three phase invertors in place.
                        These thing have taken a lot longer than I would have cared but that does not mean I have been idle neither does it mean that unlike some people seem to be insinuating I am buying these somehow not to use them .
                        Sorry I can't understand that line at all.
                        I am not stupid.
                        Of course the intention is to use them,
                        But if anyone can tell me how to do it before the workshop is fully completed,I for one would be very glad to hear it.
                        I am doing this as fast as I can on top of this I have parkinsons disease so please be a little more patient with me.
                        In the meantime if machines come up for sale I will buy them if I think I can use them and if I want alter the colour or do them up I feel I should be free to do so remember half of the fun for me is the workshop itself I am not always able to work there because of my health and half the fun is doing the machines up and making improvements to my shop.
                        When I am completely set up, make no mistake I will be using all of them.
                        PLus any new ones I buy what did you think I was going to do with them?????????????
                        Don't forget also I am still putting the finishing touches to my wood shop so it is not as if I am not busy.
                        Alistair

[This message has been edited by Alistair Hosie (edited 08-10-2004).]

Comment

After "techtchr" Matt got his shaper I found its sister. The wife thought I was a bit off for buying it-- she is right about being off but not on this issue.
                          It is a really good way to square up material, produce flat surfaces, cut square holes ect. It is slow except that I set it up and let it run while using my mill or my lathe. For safety reasons I built a chip guard from a clear face shield. This both collects the chips and allows me to see the cut as it progresses. Currently I am building a dividing head so I can use it to cut gears.
                          Buy one and enjoy it.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alistair Hosie:
                            Everyone lighten up grrrrr if I hear one more person tell me what colour to paint my machines, or to leave them alone don't paint them and make chips, I will explode.
                            </font>
                            I still think your machines would look better in worn grey and covered in chips

If you get that little shaper I can collect if you want, it's only 3/4 hour away from me and you can collect or ship in your own time.

------------------
                            John S.
                            Nottingham, England

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Alistair: Go for it, buy a shaper, you will never regret it. I got one a few years back and it has come in very handy a few times. I have it setting between the lathe and mill so it can work semi-unattended while I do a second job. As J Tires stated, they can peel off lots of metal, and if the tool is ground correct, leave a beautiful surface finish. I didn't know what I was going to do with it when I bought it, now I don't know what I would do without it. A shaper is probably the least expensive piece of equipment to tool up that I have found.

Comment

Working...
                              X