Bridgeport Series I Knee Power Feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridgeport Series I Knee Power Feed

Does anyone have a power feed unit for their Bridgeport Series I knee? I'm looking to get a power feed for the knee and wanted to see what others have installed.

Adrian

Thought about getting one myself but saw Tony's YT video on the drill adaptor and thought I'd just use that.

This guy installed an Align copy : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkhGHBQDtb0

It's this one: https://www.amazon.com/Z-Axis-Torque...xis+power+feed

Comment

I have a Servo 150. Couldn't live without it.

Comment

How does the 150 sound with your BP? Does it strain at all? I think my knee is probably ~100lbs heavier than a stock BP knee due to CNC retrofit equipment plus I have a 49" table. The Align copy in the video sounded like it was struggling a little so I'm thinking I might need something with a little more torque. I notice it's harder to crank with the extra weight myself. So much so that I really want a Knee power feed.

Comment

I've used those for years. That one shouldn't be very hard to crank. Make sure it's getting lube and the knee gib isn't too tight.
          Kansas City area

Comment

No knee feed at present,but we have every flavor of table feed at work.The Servo is best,,but pricey.The Align brand are next best and almost as good as the Servo IMO.Then we have an Align knock off.

The Servo X axis feed was just shy of $750 when we bought it.The Align Y axis feed was $400.The Align knock off was $345.

The best bang for the buck by far is the Align,as a table feed it has low end range speed regulation almost as good as the Servo.The Align knock off has poor low end regulation and much more gear train noise than the Genuine Align.The $55 savings over the Align just isn't worth the difference in quality IMO.

The Align knee feed manual claims 780 in/lbs of torque,maybe adapt an inch/lb torque wrench to your knee crank and see what it takes?

http://www.align.com.tw/ManuaLib/pow.../AL500P_en.pdf
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

It looks like if you keep the crank handle installed it will whip around and keep punching you away when you try to stop it.... Ahh, that's why they have limit switches. When you get knocked out it will stop itself before crashing into the head

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                It looks like if you keep the crank handle installed it will whip around and keep punching you away when you try to stop it.... Ahh, that's why they have limit switches. When you get knocked out it will stop itself before crashing into the head

Adrian
                The jaw coupling on the crank is still very much in play
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Thanks guys, I just bought the Align AL-500PZ Knee power feed.

I'll post some pics/video after I install it.

Comment

My Servo knee feed uses a smooth hand-wheel instead of the original crank. Seems to me the crank handle is not suitable for the power feed conversion unless you can disengage from rotating.

RWO

Comment

Originally posted by RWO View Post
                      My Servo knee feed uses a smooth hand-wheel instead of the original crank. Seems to me the crank handle is not suitable for the power feed conversion unless you can disengage from rotating.

RWO
                      Milling a new round hand wheel will be a fun task to do after I install the knee feed.

Comment

The spring on the extension shaft is to eject the crank handle. Most just flip the handle around. I'd keep the crank. It's easier to make fine adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post

Adrian
                          Put on a round hand wheel when using power feed on the mill. For the X and Y, either fold-back handles or the original BP rock-to-engage engage type. I have fold back; X and Y servos (CNC servos, not Servo brand Power feed) will break an arm, or worse.
                          Last edited by lakeside53; 09-18-2017, 12:45 AM.

Comment

I put a Vertex/Align unit on my BP clone. It wasn't a knee feed unit, so I had to adapt it and ended up with a SERVO brand type installation.

Paul Compton
                            www.morini-mania.co.uk
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                              The spring on the extension shaft is to eject the crank handle. Most just flip the handle around. I'd keep the crank. It's easier to make fine adjustments.
                              Actually the hand wheel is far better because you can grab it at whatever is the most convenient spot for your hand to apply the needed movement. The crank has only one handle and it isn't always in optimum position for precision adjustment. Been there.

RWO

Comment

Working...
                              X