Shaper ideal, need input......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaper ideal, need input......

I am wanting to use the shaper for another project..

I have a power hammer in mind.. I thought about all these mechanical linkages to convert the back/forth of the shaper to a up/down motion on a home made slide.

I have a whole pile of large air cylinders.. what about mounting one on the shaper to hook to another on the hammer.. shaper strokes, hammer strokes.. add air to compensate for the return stroke.. Hoses to connect can be 1".. will it work? SHould it be full of vegetable oil? wouldn't that heat up?

I am mounting my model 3 bender on the new scotchman ironworker.. whoo hoo.. no more sweat in my eyes.. I got a 2" tie rod cylinder to power it..

And the english wheel, it was hardly ever used till I use it for a mount for everything else in the shop. Currently it is holding my bead roller.. (adding a dc motor/foot pedals)

------------------
    David Cofer, Of:
    Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

I've heard quite a few stories about the bolt that comes thru the top of the shaper ram snapping off where its joined onto the lever that go's back and forth .
    this on a shaper in normal use.
    dont know ....but this says something to me...think about it Dave
    p.s.
    maybe you should draw out your mechanism design so we can visualise it .
    all the best...mark

[This message has been edited by Mark Jones (edited 08-15-2004).]

Comment

what you say is a real good reason not to stand in front of that ram anytime it is running.. that thing weighs I bet 500 pounds.. it is a 24" stroke shaper.. Now, that would hurt.. make a dent in my chest..

I was planning on mounting the cylinder on a roller frame on the press project next to the hyd cylinder.. The more line between the two cylinders thou the less effect..

------------------
      David Cofer, Of:
      Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Comment

David, why not make the power hammer stand alone and control it the same way the table on a Horizonal Grinder is controlled, with little pneumatic or hydraulic trip valves operating a double acting cylinder? I would not take a chance on screwing up my Shaper if I were you.

Comment

Doesn't sound like a hammer to me Dave. More like a press or a nibbler. If you want a (big) hammer, use an electric motor to drive a cam or crankshaft that's linked to a leaf spring setup. The spring is used to make up for varying metal thickness and to protect the cam/crank. The motor should be geared down and variable speeds are a necessity. Maybe a clutch too. There's a few pics on the metalshaper's site.

Comment

Look at the anglefire website and the mechanically driven hammers and info they have there.

I think you'll find that reciprocating motion to drive a hammer is as simple as an adjustable speed crank driving the hammer through a spring (mass/compliance) into resonance. The motor-driven hammers I saw that threw about 50 lb were powered by a 2 HP motor and they would beat the $hit out of 1 1/2 section work at maybe 300 blows a minute. They used a slack belt/idler pully set-up as a clutch and when you let off on the foot pedal a pad bore against the crank pulley to stop the hammer.

Very simple, elegantly so.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 08-16-2004).]

Comment

Working...
            X