Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T: Calling Australia is expensive. I had no idea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T: Calling Australia is expensive. I had no idea.

Do many of our members make international calls? I never do till I needed to call Australia from the US today. My phone company (frontier) charges .70c a minute. Yikes!!! Wont do that again.

How the heck do you jet setters make international calls that are affordable please??? Thanks, JR

P.S. Mr. Bulliss. Does the new software pack come with a spell check for the Title: yet I got in the habit of copying my text and placing it in a spell checker. Or even easier place it in my Narrative section for spell checking.

I had Austrailia in my Title:
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

I email all my Australian customers, but if its a big job and we need to sort something out quick I just bite the bullet for the charges.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
      I email all my Australian customers, but if its a big job and we need to sort something out quick I just bite the bullet for the charges.
      Yup, same here. Never had to call yet. As it turns out the other party had medical issues. So it had to be a voice confirmation of an order. JR

Comment

Use a prepaid "dial around" access number.

http://www.dialaroundworld.com/1010.html Australia 1.5c a minute.

Post paid (dial the 888 number first) - 5-6c per minute.

Hundreds of other choices.

If your call terminates on a cell phone... 2-5X more expensive.
        Last edited by lakeside53; 09-21-2017, 12:26 AM.

Comment

70 cents a minute ? I am not seeing an issue unless someone asked you to teach them single point threading on your dime.
          It cost more than that to call from Seattle to Vancouver on a payphone thru my phone card ..10 years ago..

Comment

Now I must admit paying a buck to put air in my tires, seems expensive. .

Comment

lots of voip solutions for a lot less, as well as things like SkypeOut (on your computer, you talk into your mic/listen on speakers, or you can use a headset, other end receives their call on their regular phone). Or if the other side also has a computer, just use skype or facetime for free (there's a whole bunch of either voice-only or voice+video solutions)...

Comment

I call all over the world on my cell phone. The convenience of that outweighs the expense in my case. When possible I use Whatsapp on my cell phone then it doesn't cost me or the other party anything. The limiting factor being I have to be connected to my WiFI to use Whatsapp.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Think of it this way, it's a lot cheaper than a 1st class seat on a flight over there to talk to your customer(s). Especially if you also use the air-phone on the plane to let them know you're on your way.

Comment

You can make (voip) calls to other countries using Whatsapp with no phone company charges.

"WhatsApp Calling lets you call your friends and family using WhatsApp for free, even if they’re in another country. Currently, WhatsApp Calling is available on Android, iPhone, Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10.WhatsApp Calling uses your phone’s Internet connection rather than your cellular plan’s voice minutes. Data charges may apply."

Comment

At one time I was searching for certain special interest technical books. England was a good source, postal rates were inexpensive and speed of delivery to the states was always a surprise. Australia was also a good source....EXCEPT for the postal rates. I had to pass on a number of hard to find titles because of the postal fees, like forty bucks for a medium size book.

Comment

skype credit - prepay $10 (or maybe $20) into your account, then it costs 2.3c/min to Australian landlines and 10c/min to cell phones. Skype to skype is free, but can glitch, whereas we never had a problem with skype to actual phones.

Comment

37 years ago I met my future wife at my Grandmothers funeral & had to marry her as I was spending around $400 a month on the phone & if I recall it was about 30 cents a minute.

Comment

Great advice, great stories. Thanks. He was late with a delivery and no-ack re: email so I called. He says he had a stroke and would be late. I said ok.

In the early 80's I was in Hong Kong and had to call the US. Stupid me used the hotel pay phone. 10 bucks a minute!! That was a fast call JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                              Great advice, great stories. Thanks. He was late with a delivery and no-ack re: email so I called. He says he had a stroke and would be late. I said ok.

In the early 80's I was in Hong Kong and had to call the US. Stupid me used the hotel pay phone. 10 bucks a minute!! That was a fast call JR
                              Yea but $10 Hong Kong dollars is only $1.28 US dollar

http://www.x-rates.com/table/?from=HKD&amount=1

Comment

Working...
                              X