ot: ceramic hob not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ot: ceramic hob not working

this is 3x400v. i can switch it on, but if selecting one of the plates on the touch screen, it throws the breakers. this happened all of a sudden.

anybody an idea what it might be? maybe something simple to fix? how to troubleshoot?

(im surprised there are only four wires from the control panel.)

thanks.

WTF is that thing?!

Comment

Originally posted by Rustybolt View Post
      WTF is that thing?!
      Electric hotplate (3 "burners")?

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
        this is 3x400v. i can switch it on, but if selecting one of the plates on the touch screen, it throws the breakers. this happened all of a sudden.
        Bad breaker maybe?

Comment

No idea, any chance of finding a schematic?

Comment

Looks like the chip has a super charger.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Comment

I had to look up "hob". I never heard them called that but I've never shopped for a modern range top.

Man, you got BRASS to poke around in a 400v appliance.

Comment

There will be one or more sets of IGBTs that drive the coils.

As it has several "burners" in one cooktop unit, the cookplate drivers are probably in one place, and indeed, at lower left are 6 power devices, suggesting 3 cookplate drivers. One or more of them may be bad.

If the thing blows a breaker no matter which unit is selected, then it must be a fault in something common to all of them. That could be the input rectifier, and/or power factor corrector (it any). It is probable that all the various cookplate drivers are hooked to a common DC supply, in which case if one is shorted, it will short the entire power supply.

I think I would proceed by first trying to determine if the problem is in a single cookplate driver, or if it is something common to all. That can be tricky, if they are all on one PWB, which they might be. You may have to make some educated guesses as you probe around with an ohmmeter. The first thing to do is to disconnect it and do your best to discharge everything. Per CE rules, that should be already taken care of, but we already know this one is not working.

After that, with the device off and discharged, an ohmmeter set to "diode" setting should show diode behavior to the + bus and - bus from the middle point of each driver. Any one that shows low resistance both ways (not "diode-like") is bad.

here is an application note for a single plate cooker, with a typical circuit.

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resour...CD00115561.pdf

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

anybody an idea what it might be? maybe something simple to fix? how to troubleshoot?
                  Simple, not really.

You might be able to unplug 2 of the upper pcb's, leaving only user interface board and "main" board to test.

And is your circuit breaker just ordinary circuit breaker or combined with GFCI?

Comment

thanks, jerry and matti. the gfi is separate from the breaker and the breaker works. i was not familiar with "hob" either, but that what is sais in the instructions and if you look it up, they are all over the net. how else would you call that thing? induction cooking top?

Comment

thanks, jerry and matti. the gfi is separate from the breaker and the breaker works. i was not familiar with "hob" either, but that what is sais in the instructions and if you look it up, they are all over the net. how else would you call that thing? induction cooking top?
                      That is what they are called here. "induction cooktop".

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Induction hob is more familiar to me, probably british english.
                        Ceramic hob refers more often to those infrared heaters than induction heating.

Comment

Working...
                        X