Cheap containers to help organize taps, dies, small amounts of hardware, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    .... because the silicone caulk I used to plug them seems to generate rust. I recently purchased some rust preventive paper and I may cut some strips to drop in them.
    You probably know this Paul, but if I recall correctly (and this is going back some years now) most hardware store silicone caulks leech out acetic acid as they cure. I think it's part of the curing process and is why they have that acrid vinegar smell. There is silicone sealant made specifically for sealing aquariums that is formulated to avoid that, so it won't screw up the water for your fish. You might look into that.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
      It's a large image, so a link is more appropriate:
      Hey Adrian, I was looking around your shop & saw your G0490. I had to have to have Wayde & Brett from "Tanked" come over & build a full immersion tank for mine to prevent burning the edges of 4140 on pieces over 8 feet long. How did you get around that?
      Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
        Hey Adrian, I was looking around your shop & saw your G0490. I had to have to have Wayde & Brett from "Tanked" come over & build a full immersion tank for mine to prevent burning the edges of 4140 on pieces over 8 feet long. How did you get around that?
        Yup, you need to lower the feed table for a deeper cut. Your rubbing, not cutting I also have a shelix cutter-head on mine with carbide indexable inserts.. I can probably feed my bridgeport's table through my jointer

Comment

Spray paint can lids JR

Comment

I saw someone use a 100W light bulb inside a metal cabinet to keep his tools from rusting due to humidity. I thought that was an awesome idea. I was thinking about doing the same, however it seems my basement is dry enough to not need this. Time will tell.
            12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
            Logan 825 - work in progress
            My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
            Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
            Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
              Spray paint can lids JR

You're either very good with Photoshop or you have no shame! My gosh, you have that many CCMT's just layin' around in old spray can caps?
              Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
                You're either very good with Photoshop or you have no shame! My gosh, you have that many CCMT's just layin' around in old spray can caps?
                Photoshop JR

Comment

I find the clear plastic test tubes like the ones below are both durable and cheap.
                  They come in various sizes and included stoppers. Available from a number of sources including Ebay.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                    I find the clear plastic test tubes like the ones below are both durable and cheap.
                    They come in various sizes and included stoppers. Available from a number of sources including Ebay.
                    Why do you need to take so many drug tests in your shop?

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                      Why do you need to take so many drug tests in your shop?
                      I like to take samples so that I know what I'm buying.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Just thought I'd add that we do an operation on test tube centrifuge machines at work. We deburr the plastic ring gear that holds the tubes. No idea what model machine it's used in though.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Comment

Cheap containers to help organize taps, dies, small amounts of hardware, etc

I have access to a laser cutter and have been making really nice trays for my MT drills. I also just bought some inexpensive divider boxes for my geometric die head dies.

Struggling to add pics ...
                          Last edited by sdalcher; 10-17-2017, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                            There are many good ideas for storage. (even if it is a first world problem. )

One problem I see with many (like the old baby food jar deal) is the problem of expandability.... when you have more than fit, then what?
                            I struggled with this for years. Especially with electronics parts. I used a lot of the plastic drawer sets and found it perfect for 98% of my parts but I would get a windfall of one item and end up stuffing the drawer so full it wouldn't open. Larger drawers meant most were almost empty. What I do now, and it seems to be working, is put a reasonable number in the drawer along with a note saying more in the overflow which is a large plastic box with a couple of dozen ziplock freezer bags. One bag per type of part but all just thrown in the plastic bin. On the rare occasion I empty the drawer it only takes a few minutes to shuffle through all the bags to replenish the drawer. If I had to do this search for every part it would be intolerable but the once or twice a month (at most) it happens it is just fine. Packing density is pretty good as well.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                            X