OT: WPA2 broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    Now the question is, WILL ATT update the router, and if they did, how would anyone know that?
    There's already POC code to test for the vulns. You get hold of this, and run it and it tells you if theyre vulnerable still. This is assuming that your router has a wifi AP intergrated into it. It wont matter if you dont use this functionality as long as youve fixed whatever does give this if you use wifi.
    Right now I can find this, its a case of running some python, it'll probably get automated further into a more userfriendly means to test with.

https://github.com/vanhoefm/krackattacks-test-ap-ft
    Last edited by MrFluffy; 10-19-2017, 03:16 PM.

Comment

When they come out with security fixes for widely publicized hack they will often publish the fact. Then it's just a matter of logging into the router and checking your version which is generally on the "status" page.

I had Comcast turn off the WiFi on my Xfinity router since it was not under my control. I only have to check once in a while to ensure that they have not turned the wireless back on again.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Yes, I had ATT turn off the wifi so that I could use my own also. So many people had trouble with the ATT wifi, and I already had the router set up.

Consequently, I have no clue about anything to do with the ATT, I never do anything but use one wired output, just the modem/router function.
        4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

The AT&T DSL (UVerse may be different) modems I've worked with have a management interface at 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.0.1 Go to that IP address in your browser and you'll be presented with a status page. Clicking on just about any of the options will request a code that's printed on the bottom of the DSL Modem. Enter it and now you can take a look around. You can then look for clues like firmware date and the like.

Don't change anything and definitely don't save anything unless you know what you're doing. Break your internet access and you can't look up how to fix it on the Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
            Relax... You're more likely to catch a flesh eating virus from your keyboard than to be negatively affected by the WPA2 debacle.
            My old Linksys WRT54G router has the problem; if I enable WPA2 it takes less than five minutes before some script kiddy is in. He must leave the script running 24/7; even if I let weeks go by, it doesn't take any longer before he's in.

I should probably upgrade it to dd-wrt or OpenWrt...

Comment

Originally posted by TRX View Post
              My old Linksys WRT54G router has the problem; if I enable WPA2 it takes less than five minutes before some script kiddy is in. He must leave the script running 24/7; even if I let weeks go by, it doesn't take any longer before he's in.

That's absolutely amazing. So you're saying a script kiddy is within a couple hundred feet from you and is constantly trying to access your wireless access point? Are you living in a trailer park or something?

Comment

Check the exact model against the list, not all WRT54G's are alike. Some are entirely different chipsets inside, linksys changed core design but gave it the same model name, so the letter after the G on the serial plate matters muchly.
                The good news if you have a compatible variant, they run really nicely with openwrt on. I've got one round somewhere with a serial port added onto the front of it to give remote control options to a serial device once it had decent firmware on it.

Comment

I'm running dd-wrt on a WRT54G and WRT54GL. Good firmware.

Once in a blue moon, the linksys router will drop all its configuration settings and need a 30/30/30 reset. I think it's happened like twice in the 5-6 years they've been in operation.

Comment

Judging by the time since last boot, they have not done squat.

The time roughly aligns with the last time the power went out.
                    4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Asus just sent out a firmware update for their AC wifi router.

Dan
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

How do you know this is going on? Is this a feature of your router or a separate program or what?

Paul A.
                        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Working...
                        X