Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harbor Freight Mill Drill Moving

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    You got the mill delivered? If it's already in your garage, where are you moving it now? Or are you just lifting it? Post some pics!
    Pics!

    The column cap is thicker than I estimated this morning. It looks like 20mm thick and the 2 outside holes are threaded with M8x1.0. Is that strong enough to lift with?




    Comment


    • #62
      If it's on there with just a couple of set crews like the cap was on mind I'd say "not a hope in Hell! ! ! ! !"

      If it's held on with more screws of a good size that pass through into the column and not just press against the side then "perhaps" Depends on the size of the screws. But I sure would not trust anything less than four 6mm screws that have the threading in the column so the four screws are all in shear. Even then I don't like the idea.

      Even then if the cap hold on screws are close to the edge of the cast cap life could get interesting if the casting starts to let go.

      So all in all it depends on how the cap is secured to the column.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

      Comment


      • #63
        Oh yea, the ~600lbs spread across two of those bolts should be fine assuming you've got 4-5 threads in and you pull straight up by bolting a bar across (e.g: no lateral force, only straight-up force applied). For safety, run some straps under the base that come up around the lifting point to catch the mill if for some reason the threads let go but you should be fine.

        EDIT: Never mind, I assumed the top was not a removable "cap". It looks like it's a solid ram(?)
        Last edited by ; 10-24-2017, 01:20 PM.

        Comment


        • #64
          I have the same mill/drill, I guess. Bought mine 20 years ago. It looks just like yours except for a slightly different shroud, weighs 660 pounds according to the manufacturer. The manual says RF30 which suggests it's a Rong Fu rebadged as Central Machinery.

          I put mine on a hefty bench that's 48" off the floor with my HF fold-up engine hoist, using one or two heavy nylon slings - really heavy ones from MSC.

          No pics, and I wish I could tell you how I slung the machine, but I just don't remember.

          I just wanted to say that I did it with no disassembly, all in one piece, with the hoist boom at full extension. It is possible to lift it safely using proper slings...

          -js
          There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

          Location: SF Bay Area

          Comment


          • #65
            The cap looks substantial and looks like it "inserts" into the column.

            Mine, which has a similar column, has the cap as larger than the column and sits like a hat on the column with set screws to hold it there. Mine would NOT take a drilled hole and lift by the cap ... cap would just pop off.

            Yours on the other hand may have a cap that actually screws into the column. Nice feature if it does. Are you able to try putting two bolts (all the way in preferred) into the holes in top of the cap and use a flat bar between them to unscrew the cap?

            The two bolt holes if used properly are heaps strong enough to lift the mill if the cap stays on.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Norman Bain View Post
              The cap looks substantial and looks like it "inserts" into the column.

              Mine, which has a similar column, has the cap as larger than the column and sits like a hat on the column with set screws to hold it there. Mine would NOT take a drilled hole and lift by the cap ... cap would just pop off.

              Yours on the other hand may have a cap that actually screws into the column. Nice feature if it does. Are you able to try putting two bolts (all the way in preferred) into the holes in top of the cap and use a flat bar between them to unscrew the cap?

              The two bolt holes if used properly are heaps strong enough to lift the mill if the cap stays on.
              I will check that out Thanks!

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                If it's on there with just a couple of set crews like the cap was on mind I'd say "not a hope in Hell! ! ! ! !"

                If it's held on with more screws of a good size that pass through into the column and not just press against the side then "perhaps" Depends on the size of the screws. But I sure would not trust anything less than four 6mm screws that have the threading in the column so the four screws are all in shear. Even then I don't like the idea.

                Even then if the cap hold on screws are close to the edge of the cast cap life could get interesting if the casting starts to let go.

                So all in all it depends on how the cap is secured to the column.
                I have plenty of time to plan this move. Appreciate the info. Thanks

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                  Oh yea, the ~600lbs spread across two of those bolts should be fine assuming you've got 4-5 threads in and you pull straight up by bolting a bar across (e.g: no lateral force, only straight-up force applied). For safety, run some straps under the base that come up around the lifting point to catch the mill if for some reason the threads let go but you should be fine.

                  EDIT: Never mind, I assumed the top was not a removable "cap". It looks like it's a solid ram(?)
                  Need to unwrap the column more and check it out. Thanks!

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
                    I have the same mill/drill, I guess. Bought mine 20 years ago. It looks just like yours except for a slightly different shroud, weighs 660 pounds according to the manufacturer. The manual says RF30 which suggests it's a Rong Fu rebadged as Central Machinery.

                    I put mine on a hefty bench that's 48" off the floor with my HF fold-up engine hoist, using one or two heavy nylon slings - really heavy ones from MSC.

                    No pics, and I wish I could tell you how I slung the machine, but I just don't remember.

                    I just wanted to say that I did it with no disassembly, all in one piece, with the hoist boom at full extension. It is possible to lift it safely using proper slings...

                    -js
                    I got some sturdy straps today in case I can't lift by the column. Still waiting on the engine hoist and still have a few weeks of work to complete in the shop before I can move it. Thanks for the info.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      I just done a google search for you HF Mill Drill and was looking at the Owners manual / Parts list, there is a 1-800-444-3354 phone number to call for technical questions. Call them and ask the proper methods for hoisting the mill. The worst they can say is "So Sorry Charlie We Don't Know".
                      _____________________________________________

                      I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                      Oregon Coast

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Would not trust the cap unless you remove it and replace any bolts holding the cap in place with quality hardware.

                        Remove the cap and lower the head for clearance. Drill a 1/2 inch diameter hole through the column, centered 1 inch below the top end of the column. Use a piece of barstock with holes in each end. Put a good bolt through the column and one end of the barstock. Hook your hoist to the other end of the bar.
                        North Central Arkansas

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          I had a couple of these sold a 1984 H-F Central Machinery for $500, bought a new one from H-F for $500 & it hadn't changed a bit. Broke my back & sold it & a new 13x40 HF lathe still in the crates. They are easy to move just go slow, keep it low & be careful & have a helper. Just call Rong-Fu he'll splain how to move it.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                            I'm wondering how heavy that mill really is.... HF claims this one has a shipping weight of ~650lbs which is 100lbs less than the green one. This one also is 220v, has a knee, trammable head, etc... I'm wondering if if weight is really correct for the green item #33686

                            I have a mill similar to this one. Not a Harbor Freight.
                            Note that it has holes in the casting just below the head for lifting.they are covered with sheet metal doors.
                            I moved mine into the shop with an HF engine hoist. I brought it home in its crate in a rental trailer, tore the crate apart on the trailer and the crane did the rest. All that is necessary is a steel rod through the holes and some lifting straps.
                            I have moved my mill, three lathes, and a 500# shaper with my HF folding leg engine hoist.
                            I think the idea of a chain through the column is a good one but also think you will have trouble getting it in and out.
                            The HF hoist is the best investment in my shop.
                            Seems like I need to move something at least once a month that's too heavy for my 85 year old back.
                            My wife just bought a 350# bronze statue that will arrive in a week. I will use the crane to move it.
                            Bill
                            Edit
                            Point is, can you drill holes thru the casting and insert a steel rod?
                            Last edited by Seastar; 10-25-2017, 10:37 AM.
                            I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by ulav8r View Post
                              Would not trust the cap unless you remove it and replace any bolts holding the cap in place with quality hardware.

                              Remove the cap and lower the head for clearance. Drill a 1/2 inch diameter hole through the column, centered 1 inch below the top end of the column. Use a piece of barstock with holes in each end. Put a good bolt through the column and one end of the barstock. Hook your hoist to the other end of the bar.
                              Now THAT is a grand idea ! ! ! ! The only thing I can see "wrong" with it is that the column is well back so the whole mill will lift up strongly tilted front edge down. But it would certainly be a safe way to do it and not risk damage to the belt shroud.
                              Chilliwack BC, Canada

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                8 pages on moving a mini-mill unbelievable A full size 2200+ pound bridgeport has a spot to but a 5/8" eye bolt & you can move it anywhere. Maybe instead of newbie or project forum we need a rigging forum or sticky for those who haven't so they don't damage or pay a small fortune on their new machine moving & can spend it on tooling. As machining & making things gives a sence or pride & pleasure so does rigging & hauling at least for me anyway

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X