Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01-7700
    replied
    I have a 12' high wall on the other side. Shelves and a library type ladder should provide enough space for storage.

It's a really nice place to take naps in the sun

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    I love the openness of all those windows.... but..... but.... WHERE YOU GONNA HANG UP STUFF ! ? ! ? ! ?

My original goal was to buy a retirement place where I could build a nice above ground shop with at least one wall well equipped with windows looking out on the outdoors. All my life my shops have been in basements or garages with very little window area. One starts to feel like one of H.G. Wells' Morlocks after a while... So I commend your window ratio efforts.

Leave a comment:

• mickeyf
    replied
    All that natural light is gonna be great in the not-cold-and-dark time of year. Otherwise, not so much fun for heating.

Leave a comment:

• 01-7700
    replied
    Update: The mill has been moved out of the garage before the first snowfall. It was a shmoove move thanks to all your advice. I ended up taking the motor, pulleys, and shroud off to access the hole in the head. The shop isn't finished yet but I can work on that and building my benches as time allows. Here are some pics of my shop.

Leave a comment:

• vpt
    replied
    Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    You're one of those people, eh?

It just sounded very thin and notice the ends of the tubes just squashed to be welded not coped. It just has that look of something that would fold up.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Phase Lightbulb
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by vpt View Post
    54 minutes in he throws a chain down the colume to lift it off the trailer.

I was waiting for his tube boom to fold up.
    You're one of those people, eh?

Leave a comment:

• vpt
    replied
    Originally posted by 01-7700 View Post
    Here's a shot from a video where the owner is moving a mill like mine. He's got a chain running through the column as near as I can tell. The part where he attached the chain was left out. Looks like he has a lightweight overhead crane setup or a piece of angle from a bed frame that he's using to hold up a lightweight chain fall. Anyways, you can see the tilt.

I watched a good deal of this video. Don't recommend it but for those who have an abundance of free time... I give you shopdogsam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7L2gBQThZg
    54 minutes in he throws a chain down the colume to lift it off the trailer.

I was waiting for his tube boom to fold up.

Leave a comment:

• 01-7700
    replied
    Here's a shot from a video where the owner is moving a mill like mine. He's got a chain running through the column as near as I can tell. The part where he attached the chain was left out. Looks like he has a lightweight overhead crane setup or a piece of angle from a bed frame that he's using to hold up a lightweight chain fall. Anyways, you can see the tilt.

I watched a good deal of this video. Don't recommend it but for those who have an abundance of free time... I give you shopdogsam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7L2gBQThZg
    Last edited by 01-7700; 10-27-2017, 06:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Norman Bain
    replied
    There are some here advising that the mill will tilt forward if it is picked up by the top of the column.

While this certainly is true; I have it that it will only tilt forward to the extent that the centre of gravity (COG) is attained ... that will not be much ... certainly not enough to prevent clean placement at its new location.

It is possible that the COG will be overall better balanced if the head itself were to be reversed (swung around). Am not sure of this as it will depend on the motor being heavier than the milling head castings.

Leave a comment:

• smithdoor
    replied
    Hope you do not move
    What did your wife say after that move ???

Dave

Originally posted by ed_h View Post
    For moving a mill, there might be something of use here:

http://bullfire.net/Mill/Milling%20Machine.html

Ed

Leave a comment:

• 01-7700
    replied
    Originally posted by steverice View Post
    I'll send the old lady over and get this over with.
    LOL

Leave a comment:

• steverice
    replied
    I'll send the old lady over and get this over with.

Leave a comment:

• 01-7700
    replied
    This post really took off! I appreciate all the replies and good advice.

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    8 pages on moving a mini-mill unbelievable A full size 2200+ pound bridgeport has a spot to but a 5/8" eye bolt & you can move it anywhere. Maybe instead of newbie or project forum we need a rigging forum or sticky for those who haven't so they don't damage or pay a small fortune on their new machine moving & can spend it on tooling. As machining & making things gives a sence or pride & pleasure so does rigging & hauling at least for me anyway

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Originally posted by ulav8r View Post
    Would not trust the cap unless you remove it and replace any bolts holding the cap in place with quality hardware.

Remove the cap and lower the head for clearance. Drill a 1/2 inch diameter hole through the column, centered 1 inch below the top end of the column. Use a piece of barstock with holes in each end. Put a good bolt through the column and one end of the barstock. Hook your hoist to the other end of the bar.
    Now THAT is a grand idea ! ! ! ! The only thing I can see "wrong" with it is that the column is well back so the whole mill will lift up strongly tilted front edge down. But it would certainly be a safe way to do it and not risk damage to the belt shroud.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X