HF 2 Ton Shop Crane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HF 2 Ton Shop Crane

This may already been addressed, but just wanted people to know they should regularly check the bolts in their shop crane.

I noticed the other day that my well used HF 2 Ton Shop crane was telling me something... I'm not sure what it was saying but it might have been one of the following:

-Why were you lifting more than the rated amount with me you nincompoop.
    -I'm not as strong as I should be, maybe you should using grade 8 bolts in me instead.

I don't "think" I've ever lifted more than the rating in either of the 4 boom positions, but maybe I did..... Anyone else have the same conversation with their shop crane?

Notice the over stressed bolt at the end of the ram.....

I'd have expected a solid pin the size of the hole through the ram.
    If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

I agree that a grade 8 bolt would be a better choice but putting something other than an identical part into it might be considered a modification and void the warranty.

Comment

Warranty? That probably expired 10 years ago

Comment

A 2 ton HF engine hoist.
          The Battle Shaper, stripped down as much as reasonable - vice, table, clapper head, doors, handles, etc stripped off of it.
          The attempted lift.

FAILURE. The bolt bent, the wheels came off, it was real exciting for a few seconds. Fortunately it failed when the Battle Shaper was just a few fractions of an inch off the cribbing.

After that we lifted it with nothing but the bottle jacks and cribbing. Lift one end a few inches, and then crib. Lift the other end a few inches, and crib. The HF was used to add a little stabilizing force to help keep it from falling over. Anybody want to buy a wheel-less HF engine hoist?

Last edited by Dan_the_Chemist; 10-17-2017, 06:31 PM.

Comment

I'm lucky it didn't fail the other day when I was swapping my Bridgeport and Lathe. The Bridgeport is a joy to move around with my pallet truck but the lathe is a PITA as I can't get the pallet truck under both sides..

Comment

I've had the same problem, the bolt is weak and the gap either side is excessive.
              Grind off those washers and machine up a proper fitting bush either side and weld them on, then replace the bolt with something decent.
              You can't a go bigger bolt because of the ram diameter.

I bent the main pivoting bolt first, replace it with a larger bolt and reinforcement around it (depending on how much steel is around the larger hole).
              The bolts are like liquorice

Comment

I use a towable Bluebird & a real shop crane both have straight legs & work great. I saw a fresh Cessna engine dropped when a HF engine hoist pin can out. They weresaving the $50 delv charge.
                Check them out eBay item number:172931032723

Comment

I assume the original bolts are grade 5 or lower. I'm just going to replace them with grade 8 bolts. I should have plenty somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
                    A 2 ton HF engine hoist.
                    I just noticed the legs on your crane don't telescope outward. I guess the folding crane has longer legs than the non-folding one.

One thing that bothers me a lot is the distance between the legs is always just a little too short. I'm thinking about widening mine a good 4-6 inches so things like the bridgeport base easily would fit between the legs and other things.

Comment

I bought mine from a local outfit about 9 years ago. And on mine the shank on each bolt used as a "pin" is long enough that it extends across the openings. I suspect that if your original bolts did the same that even now they would still be straight. Grade 5 ain't no slouch after all. But then again given the source these may not even be able to aspire to grade 5 status.

The other thing is how springy or brittle are grade 8 bolts? I'd rather have one bend a little than just plain old snap suddenly. And if one buys new bolts where the parallel shank is all the way across the opening that alone will be a HUGE upgrade. After all the depth of the threading means that the size of the portion left to take the loads is a good 3/32 or even 1/8 inch smaller in size. So just bringing the entire load bearing length up to the proper diameter would be a big help.
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I have the same HF hoist. POS, but price was in line with a POS. It came in handy for taking apart my Millrite. I would never attempt 2 tons with it.

Comment

I am with BCRider on this. If using a bolt, there should be no threads until the bolt clears the outside of the boom. The largest diameter of a good grade of shafting with cotter pins and thick washers on each end would be good idea. Also some spacers so the eye in the ram can't move sideways on the pin.

Comment

I bought mine around 12 years ago and I think it was $199 and something like $7.99 shipping per order IIRC. Mine has been great and I'd buy it again in a picosecond. It's always lifted everything I needed it to. I must admit though, when I got a ~5T pallet jack it was a perfect combination. Anything I could lift with the craneI could then wheel away and put anywhere with the pallet jack.

Comment

I'll have to check all of the bolts. It looks like HF stop selling the version I have. Maybe I used the wrong bolts for the boom.

Comment

Working...
                              X