Recomendation for carbide insert and holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quasi View Post
    Bangood sells the same cutters and holders as Shars, and is 1/4 the price for Kanucks once you calculate the shipping charges.
    Fact or fiction?

Shars ones look in pics to have better finish.
    For me the Banggood/Ali/Ebay ones are 1/10 of the Shars prices after postage fees and I have been mostly very happy with the cheapos.

Comment

Yep, the Bangood cutters and tools work great for me. Like Brian, I had to do a little adjustment metal removal on the tool holder shanks as they were a little oversize for my Maximat 7. No real problem. I used my 4" x 46" belt sander. Cost me a ruined belt for wood, but belts are not expensive if you get 'em from Harbor Freight. Careful work brought the cutting edge exactly on the lathe center line. No more shims! : ) I also got a set of carbide insert boring bars from Bangood. Made some boring bar holders that fit into my square lathe tool holder to hold each boring bar size. Again. no more shims!

Comment

Since you've already got a set on the way, I'll give you the reason why the CCMT diamond shaped inserts are more poppular than the TCMT triangle ones:- It's because they are a bit more robust. The corner that's doing the cutting is better supported than on the triangular inserts, even more so than the DCMT pointy ones!

If you don't mind having one or two tools that you only use for taking diameters down, you can get holders that use the obtuse angle of the CCMT inserts. Treat these as a way to get extra life out of inserts that you've already worn out
        Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post
          Since you've already got a set on the way, I'll give you the reason why the CCMT diamond shaped inserts are more poppular than the TCMT triangle ones:- It's because they are a bit more robust.
          And C*** insert is more suited for facing and turning with the same setting.

One of the obtuse angle tools to use the "free" insert corners is SCMCN1616h09-100
          https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...9-100&_sacat=0

Replace 1616 with 1212 (12x12mm) if 1/2" is maximum tool size for your lathe

Or SCBCR for turning, the above is more suited for chamfers
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCBCR1212H0...wAAOSw5cNYIHbJ
          Last edited by MattiJ; 11-04-2017, 05:57 PM.

Comment

If you you have a holder for CCMT inserts you can also use CCGX inserts with a high rake and polished surface. Primarily intended for aluminum but work well wherever you need a dead sharp cutting edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Illinoyance View Post
              If you you have a holder for CCMT inserts you can also use CCGX inserts with a high rake and polished surface. Primarily intended for aluminum but work well wherever you need a dead sharp cutting edge.
              Yep. Very nice if you end up in situation that you have to shave off 0.02mm from nasty 1018 steel.

Comment

Working...
              X