deburing holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deburing holes

There's obviously more than one way to debur holes- use a countersink, drill bit, or custom-designed deburing tool. But what's a good way to debur the inside of a hole? I have need to drill several holes in pipe and to debur the inside so they don't present sharp edges to wires that will be pulled out through the holes from the inside.

The larger these holes the easier it will be to snag the wires and pull them through, but I do want to keep the hole size down to about 3/8 or so. There's probably a special tool that can be used for this, but I'm not aware of one. It seems to me also that since the inside of hole drilled in pipe will have a curve to it, there will be two points where the tool might tend to catch, and two points where the tool might not catch the burr at all.

What's a known good way to do this?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

You can pump sand blasting abrasive through the pipe... Cover the holes you drilled with something to keep the air pressure from escaping from them, but you get the idea..

Comment

Looks like they also make cross hole deburring tools as well...

Comment

And these.... Pinch to compress them into the hole.. They expand and catch the inside as you turn them...

Comment

I just learned this when asking about a tool I found. It's a Shaviv handheld tool that will deburr the inside and outside of a hole at the same time. See the 1:15 mark.

https://youtu.be/1HISXiKvmgE?t=1m15s

Comment

The simplest option is the best unless you're into high production or something...
            A hand-held triangular scraper: http://www.noga.com/Products/sptl/Sp...RAPER_-_SC1000
            Many different makes out there. It is just a handle with a very sharp, tri-pointed blade. It is great for ID of holes, small and large.

Comment

I have some different tips for my handles. The one with the yellow handle has more of a hook on it to reach back and catch them pesky inside pipe burrs.

Use it all the time when running wire through holes in sheetmetal on cars. JR

Comment

These little gadgets work great for deburring inside pipe holes.
                The blade pivots 90° to enter the hole, then flops down to the deburring position.

Comment

I have used the Burraway on thin walled tubing. I think the Shaviv tool might have been faster.
                  https://cogsdill.com/product/burraway/

Comment

I've never used one of those hand held ones, but I think I'll get one. In the meantime I devised another way to get the job done- using a chainsaw file. I cut a section about three inches long from the end of the file and debured that on the drum sander, then chucked it in a cordless by the smooth end. With the drill turning the normal direction it kind of draw-files the burrs upwards and out. It's easy enough to tell when the burrs have been removed. 16 holes took me about 20 minutes to do, which wasn't too bad.

This project is for stage lighting. There is a steel tube about 26 feet long with 16 connectors being mounted evenly spaced along it. The tubing is in three pieces, and there are two 45 degree bends and one 90. One end rises up from the DJ booth, goes out and then across the stage, then makes a 45 and returns along the other side of the stage. All the wiring is internal, and all exit at one end. It will be interesting for sure to get all the wire harnesses in place and all pairs of wires coming out their holes.
                    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Checkout this stage lighting I went to see Brit Pink Floyd at the Orpheum Theatre in Boston earlier this year.. Awesome light show.

Jump to 2:19 and 3:20 if you get bored ...

Last edited by ; 10-19-2017, 12:25 PM.

Comment

And another good tune and light show

Comment

Nice, very nice. I can imagine that just one of those stage lights costs about as much as my whole budget for this project- and I have to divide that budget between lighting and audio. I'm going to go make friends with a shrew now-

Comment

Any idea on the cost or sources for the tools you linked 3 Phase Lightbulb?
                            Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Rogers View Post
                              Any idea on the cost or sources for the tools you linked 3 Phase Lightbulb?
                              Joe
                              Sorry, I don't recall prices.. I think I was searching via google images.. Here is a good visual and a link to find sellers, but I'm sure there are better options out there.

Link to locate resellers: http://www.directindustry.com/prod/m...9-1342893.html

Comment

Working...
                              X