3hp, New GE 3ph motors $49 @Surplus Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3hp, New GE 3ph motors $49 @Surplus Center

Always good to have a few around, Shipping may kill the deal but if you pick them up.
    https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electr...-10-115633.axd

Originally posted by flylo View Post
    Always good to have a few around, Shipping may kill the deal but if you pick them up.
    I may just have to pick up a couple. If they were face mount they would be gone in a day I am sure.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
      One of those and a VFD to go with it would be a nice addition to my lathe. I may ask my daughter to pick one up for me and I can get it when I visit her.
      “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Anyone know what the shaft size is on the TurnPro/Enco 319-9733 lathe?

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/71485767

I've got one and wanted to replace the 1ph 3hp motor with a 3ph 3hp motor + VFD at some point in time.. Maybe this is that point??

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
          Anyone know what the shaft size is on the TurnPro/Enco 319-9733 lathe?

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/71485767

I've got one and wanted to replace the 1ph 3hp motor with a 3ph 3hp motor + VFD at some point in time.. Maybe this is that point??
          At the risk of sounding like a smartass... You have a lathe. Does it matter?
          *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
            At the risk of sounding like a smartass... You have a lathe. Does it matter?
            I have a single phase lathe... I'd like to convert it to a 3 phase lathe with VFD control at some point for obvious reasons... Matters to me, shouldn't matter to you.

Comment

I have a single phase lathe... I'd like to convert it to a 3 phase lathe with VFD control at some point for obvious reasons... Matters to me, shouldn't matter to you.
              I believe the point he was getting at was the shaft could be turned down on your existing, working lathe...

Comment

If you have a single phase lathe with a run capacitor type motor, it will matter a great deal less to you than if you have a motor with NO run capacitor. The run capacitor tends to create a revolving field that is more similar to 3 phase.

Remember, 3 phase and two phase (true 2 phase) will directly convert, either way. Make 2 phase from 3 phase, or 3 phase from 2 phase, using only transformers. The capacitor makes a second phase, although not as good as real 2 phase.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Does it matter what the shaft size is? You can always make a pulley to fit the new motor if you have a lathe. Gearing controls the threading pitch and feed pitch so speed doesn't have to be "exact" and you can always throw a tach on it temporarily if you need to when you dial in your VFD controls. I use a hand held optical tach for that sort of adjustment.

What matters is the mounting setup. Face, side, frame size. You can make that too, but in the context of this thread I don't know if you have tools other than a lathe.

Comment

Ah oh... I'm looking to just drop in a 3PH motor with the same shaft. I believe there is a v-belt pully at the end of my existing 1PH motor.. I'm just looking for a 3PH motor with the same size shaft/key for a quick swap..

Comment

Ah oh... I'm looking to just drop in a 3PH motor with the same shaft. I believe there is a v-belt pully at the end of my existing 1PH motor.. I'm just looking for a 3PH motor with the same size shaft/key for a quick swap..
                      Once you have a few basics down, which I am sure you do from your other posts, it doesn't take long at all to turn a small pulley. My very first one ever took me about an hour. Now I think I could make one in 10 minutes. Yeh, keying it might take a little time, but I think people over think keying sometimes. It doesn't even have to be square. The sides just have to be parallel, and it has to be roughly parallel to a line intersecting the center of the circle. I do them on the mill with an end mill since I do not have a broaching setup. The set screw keeps it in the shaft groove. Anyway, there is always a way... but to be fair. I said in the context of this thread I don't know if you have any tools other than the lathe. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                        If you have a single phase lathe with a run capacitor type motor, it will matter a great deal less to you than if you have a motor with NO run capacitor. The run capacitor tends to create a revolving field that is more similar to 3 phase.

Remember, 3 phase and two phase (true 2 phase) will directly convert, either way. Make 2 phase from 3 phase, or 3 phase from 2 phase, using only transformers. The capacitor makes a second phase, although not as good as real 2 phase.
                        I'd like to swap out the 1PH for a 3PH for the smoother power delivery as well as running with a nice VFD with controllable start freq ramps, running freq, etc.

Comment

Yes, I could make a pully.. I have everything I need including a nice broaching set... Problem is, most of my stuff is still boxed up on shelves and it takes me forever to find anything right now.. I just got my machines up and running but still have to get everything else organized and located otherwise the 1 hour it should take me will take MUCH MUCH longer...

Here is a hub/sprocket (Obviously not a pully, but close enough) that I made in my old shop.. In a few more months I should have my new shop fully setup and organized (yea right).

Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 10-19-2017, 02:11 PM.

Comment

After being my usual smart ass self, I walked out to my big lathe and pulled the side cover off (I do not have an Enco) and I could easily get the shaft size by measuring without any disassembly. The drive pulley is right there on the end of the motor. On mine it isn't even flush with the shaft so I could measure the pulley bore. Go pull your side cover off and look. The same cover you some times have to pull when your quick change gears don't include the thread you currently need to cut. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
                              After being my usual smart ass self, I walked out to my big lathe and pulled the side cover off (I do not have an Enco) and I could easily get the shaft size by measuring without any disassembly. The drive pulley is right there on the end of the motor. On mine it isn't even flush with the shaft so I could measure the pulley bore. Go pull your side cover off and look. The same cover you some times have to pull when your quick change gears don't include the thread you currently need to cut. LOL.
                              Ok ok ok, you're going to make me go measure it myself.... Can't a guy ask/delegate stuff like that to someone else without getting an ear-full?

Comment

Working...
                              X