Keep Tool Box Dry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep Tool Box Dry

This afternoon, I put some of those frabic softener sheets in each draw of my tool boxes. This was on who evers advice, I am giving it a try.

Jerry

jfsmith,

Let us know how it works. I have been considering trying it, but am leary to do so.
    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

Comment

Oh my! Your tools stink so pretty. Is that morning blush?

Comment

Jerry, "Old Fashioned" Moth Balls will do the same thing and last longer. If you try them, be sure and read the label as the fumes of some of the "new fangeled" ones will melt plastic.

Comment

Somebody emailed me this:
          My mail carrier told me that the US Postal service sent out a message to all letter carriers to put a sheet of Bounce in their uniform pockets to keep yellow jackets away. Use them all the time when playing baseball and soccer. I use it when I am working outside. It really works. The yellow jackets just veer around you.

And all this time you've just been putting Bounce in the dryer!

It will chase ants away when you lay a sheet near them.

It also repels mice.. spread them around foundation areas, or in trailers, cars that are sitting and it keeps mice from entering your vehicle.

It takes the odor out of books and photo albums that don't get opened too often.

Repels mosquitoes. Tie a sheet of Bounce through a belt loop when outdoors during mosquito season.

Eliminates static electricity from your television (or computer) screen.

Since Bounce is designed to help eliminate static cling, wipe your television screen with a used sheet of Bounce to keep dust from resettling.

Dissolve soap scum from shower doors. Clean with a sheet of Bounce Freshen the air in your home. Place an individual sheet of Bounce in a drawer or hang in the closet.

Put Bounce sheet in vacuum cleaner.

Prevent thread from tangling. Run a threaded needle through sheet of Bounce before beginning to sew.

Prevent musty suitcases. Place an individual sheet of Bounce inside empty luggage before storing.

Freshen the air in your car. Place a sheet of Bounce under the front seat.

Clean baked-on foods from a cooking pan. Put a sheet in a pan, fill with water, let sit overnight, and sponge clean. The
          anti-static agent apparently weakens the bond between the food.

Eliminate odors in wastebaskets. Place a sheet of Bounce at the bottom of the wastebasket.

Collect cat hair. Rubbing the area with a sheet of Bounce will magnetically attract all the loose hairs.

Eliminate static electricity from Venetian blinds. Wipe the blinds with a sheet of Bounce to prevent dust from resettling.

Wipe up sawdust from drilling or sand papering. A used sheet of Bounce will collect sawdust like a tack cloth.

Eliminate odors in dirty laundry. Place an individual sheet of Bounce at the bottom of a laundry bag or hamper.

Deodorize shoes or sneakers. Place a sheet of Bounce in your shoes or sneakers overnight.

Golfers put a Bounce sheet in their back pocket to keep the bees away.

Put a Bounce sheet in your sleeping bag and tent before folding and storing them. Keeps them smelling fresh.

Dan

Comment

I use camphor blocks. A block per drawer in the tool box seems to do the trick. My local drugstore didn't have them on hand, but ordered them for me. Now they stock them.

-Mike

Comment

Wow! on the bounce sheets. About the one under the car seat, shouldn't that be mostly under the driver's seat, and maybe two of them? Just in case

Oh, yeah, got any driveway deicer? Put some in a paper bag in the toolbox.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

with that many uses...wonder what macgyver could do with it???

Comment

Can't believe all that about Bounce. Is it really proven or just suburban legend? Is it just Bounce or do other brands work? Store brands?

Paul A.
                  Paul A.

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

In dry old Colorado the best way to keep your tool box dry is to keep the lid shut when it rains(this is assuming the tool box is outdoors of course)
                    THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

Go to the supermarket and buy a plastic jug of silica gel dessicant kitty litter. Cheap. Put some in a paper lunch bag and stuff it in the back of the tool drawer. Every six months or so put the lunch bag in the oven at 250آ° F for an hour or so and put back in the tool chest or wherever it is needed.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I forgot about the Kitty Litter Crystals, they are Silica.

Trying to Camphor in a solid form, the best I found was $1.67 an ounce.

The Kitty Litter sounds better.

Jerry

Comment

I am going to try three seperate methods in my tool boxes.

One with the fabric softener sheet (store brand), one with camphor blocks and one with the Crystal type kitty litter.

I am going to try 1/2 cup of the crytal litty litter in small brown paper bags. The camphor is in one ounce blocks and fabric softening sheets will be one for each drawer and two or three sheets in the larger storage compartments.

The areas that I will be doing is my garage and basement, both have distinct humidity characteristics. I have three tool boxes and bases, several specialty tool drawers segments seperate from the tool boxes. So I will try something different in each area and tool container.

I will use my safe as the standard to meet, because it has a golden rod (heater) in it.

Jerry

Comment

I am putting one of each type of keep dry stuff in the safe. In each of the boxes, I am putting some 1095 steel to see if it rusts as well as the safe.

Jerry

Comment

The Bounce thing is urban legend. The Post Office didn't issue such a recommendation, for example. www.snopes.com is almost always a quick way to check such things.

Actually, I don't think I've ever received an email like that which turned out to be genuine, including the political and social commentary ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X