Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tiny 3 cylinder Holt based engine

Gentlemen,
    Well the engine is finished and running. If you followed the build thread then you know the construction and initial running wasn't without incidents.
    Today I took it out on the bench and after a few adjustments it ran quite well but much faster than I had expected. The simple carb was much similar to the one used on the series of Tiny hit and miss engines so with the increased bore diameter of this engine I thought it would run slower.
    I took it back down to the shop and installed the original throttling carb then went back out for another try.
    While turning it over I started opening the needle valve until it caught and ran. While running I adjusted the ignition timing from the initial setting of about 15 degrees to almost 25 and it smoothed right out.
    Here is the video published on Youtube.
    gbritnell
    P.S. I'll have it at the Zanesville engine show this weekend.
    https://youtu.be/c_KtDdeMepk

VERY nice! I wish I could garner the patience to undertake something like that.

Comment

Well done! Wish I could work on pieces that size without bending or losing them.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

That is just awesome and like the sound of that little bugger, I actually can't believe that tiny little carb *(and orifice) raps that little guy out that high lol

nobody builds an engine quite like you G.britnell thanks allot for posting that - I have a huge project ahead of me for this winter and that video gives me hope...

Comment

Well done.

Really incredible how small it is at the end of the video when Mr Britnell puts his paw into the view.

Comment

WOW!
            Nice job!
            Cheers,
            Jon

Comment

A masterpiece! Nice work.

Makes my eyes hurt just thinking of all those small parts.

Comment

George--I'd be proud to have an engine like that in my tractor. Beautiful work, as usual.---Brian
                Brian Rupnow
                Design engineer
                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks everyone for the gracious comments.
                  gbritnell

Comment

Originally posted by Norman Bain View Post
                    Well done.

Really incredible how small it is at the end of the video when Mr Britnell puts his paw into the view.
                    It's probably a regular size motor, because he's clearly got huge hands.

Comment

It's so CUTE !!! I just love it.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_r View Post
                        It's probably a regular size motor, because he's clearly got huge hands.
                        Awesome work George! This must be George showing how to properly carry the HF mill

Comment

George, is that a Mustang LX in the background in your video?

Comment

George,

Thanks for taking the time to post the video. Your work is an inspiration for myself and a constant reminder that it is not the machine that is important, but the man. It is not craftsmachine, but craftsman.
                            www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

That's my 90 LX 5.0, 5 speed, just for fun car. It just went over 19,000 miles. Only touched rain once.
                              gbritnell

Comment

Working...
                              X