O.T. Spotted a praying mantiss on the back of my house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. Spotted a praying mantiss on the back of my house

Spotted this guy having a snack while clinging to the back of my house. It was dark outside so I nearly missed it. My poor camera skills
    aside, I had to work a small spotlight with my left hand while working the camera with my right.

Continued in the next post ...
    Last edited by RichR; 04-26-2018, 10:35 AM.

Last edited by RichR; 04-26-2018, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Good thing he was busy eating or he may have followed you around. Had one watch me work on the lawn tractor. The next thing I know he's on the tractor within about a foot watching me. Gave me the creeps so I moved him to a nearby tree. Saw one on the side of house in late evening. I didn't know they changed colors like a chameleon. He was near grey like the house. The one in your photo looks like it has dark wings. (nighttime?) They are normally a bright green like the under belly in your pics.

We have a lot of them around here. Don't bother them--They eat bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
        ... The one in your photo looks like it has dark wings. (nighttime?) They are normally a bright green like the under belly in your pics.

We have a lot of them around here. Don't bother them--They eat bugs.
        Yes, it was nighttime. Don't see them very often here. Last time I saw one was probably 8 or 10 years ago. Aside from taking a dozen pictures
        I left it alone.

Comment

Vicious critters, tear another bug apart in seconds. If they are on a plant they are really hard to see.. Good insect to have in your garden.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
          Oregon Coast

Comment

Saw plenty of those in Nigeria. The ones there were entirely brilliant green, and did a very good job of hiding in my chilli plants. Creepy when they watch you; looks like they're thinking "Hmm, a bit big, but might be worth trying to eat anyway..."

Ian
            All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

We get tree frogs every year that change color & stick to a couple windows at night eating bugs when they come to the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian B View Post
                Creepy when they watch you; looks like they're thinking "Hmm, a bit big, but might be worth trying to eat anyway..." Ian
                Haha they do have that look! Especially when they tilt their heads sideways.

Comment

Not as fun to watch and bad for plants but we have walking-sticks here too. I've seen some about the size of a pencil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH2HS-p3adQ

Comment

The babies are cute.

Comment

Maybe looking for warmth? I had one on the sliding glass door a couple of nights ago when I was cooking on the grill.
                      Mike
                      Central Ohio, USA

Comment

No critter problems here. Today was below freezing point whole day

Comment

We get a fair number of them, since we do not generally use pesticides etc.

Did you know that they fly? Once you see a 4+ inch praying mantis fly, you will be impressed. I try to move them from bad areas to the bushes or garden plants, and sometimes they don't like the look of me and just fly off to somewhere else in the yard. Usually not far away.

Never had one take a bite of me, but I HAVE had ladybugs bite, and they take a good nip, you will not ignore that......
                          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

I have seen a few around here. I thought perhaps they were actually called "Preying Mantis", for their predatory nature. But they are actually "Praying Mantids", named for their distinctive way of folding their forelegs to hold prey. I found an interesting article about them:

https://www.thoughtco.com/praying-mantid-facts-1968525

Here's an interesting bug I found in my house:

I'd like to get rid of stink bugs. The ones in my house are a gray-brown color. But I found a cute green one outside.

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Check up on their mating habits. The males are the bright green and usually quite a bit smaller. There is a reason that you don't see so many males as you do females.

Sarge41

Comment

Working...
                              X