No announcement yet.

A thought for a new subforum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it should be call Sir John Tips & tricks & we should be able to post links to you tubes & other places but no links to other forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
      It may be a good idea, but just how do you get the ones with the knowledge to "jump in" that beginner forum?.
      imo its a mistake to think there are homogeneous groups of beginners and experienced guys. People aren't like that, there aren't plebes and super heroes, you know more about subject A than I do so in A I'm like a beginner, in B the roles reverse.
      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
        One problem here is that we are going along fine with regular stuff, and then G Britnell, or one of a few others, posts pics of a project. Well, THAT really ruins it.... After that, who wants to post ANYTHING about a project or the like, when it will just look silly and "hack" in comparison to the beautiful project pics.
        Bagging G Britnell in this manner is just rude. I for one FULLY defend his right to post here. His work is awesome and I have learned much from him.

What we really need is a "posting limit" to assist keeping the quality of the posts up. An OP should be able to post unlimited on the thread they started.

From where I sit there are some here that seem fully into just simply getting up their post count ... some weird determination to be "top of the heap".

Some of this "surplus volume" I is simply a summary of the previous posters without adding new content. Hence not really a contribution to the discussion as such.

Some of the "surplus volume" seems simply a repetition of a previous post in manner that seems to be "determined to have the last word".

Comment

This is a solution in search of a problem. I cannot ever recall a newbie getting less than an encouraging welcome and honest attempts at answering any questions. This is in contrast to the PM board, where they are regularly discouraged and driven off.

It is also quite out of bounds to single out George Britnell for his contributions. I hope he does not take it in a negative manner. We need contributions from George and others as examples of what can be accomplished in the home shop.
          Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum View Post
            TIt is also quite out of bounds to single out George Britnell for his contributions. I hope he does not take it in a negative manner. We need contributions from George and others as examples of what can be accomplished in the home shop.
            I think you guys should read Jerry's post again. Looks to me like his comments on George B. were 100% complimentary of his beautiful work.

-js
            There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
              I think you guys should read Jerry's post again. Looks to me like his comments on George B. were 100% complimentary of his beautiful work.

-js
              That is how I interpreted it also. JR

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is the 10% effect. Basically for every community, 10% (or thereabouts) will be active and 10% of them will be super active. This seems to happen naturally and in many different types of community. Trying to change these numbers is a fool's errand at best.

There are other communities where I just lurk. I'm interested in what they have to say, but don't have anything to add. Would I respond to a beginners or a "new here" section in those communities? Probably not.

Comment

While he said George's work is beautiful, he intimated that it is discouraging others from posting on the forum. In effect saying that folks with such projects should not post them, kind of difficult to read it any other way.
                  Jim H.

Comment

While he said George's work is beautiful, he intimated that it is discouraging others from posting on the forum. In effect saying that folks with such projects should not post them, kind of difficult to read it any other way.
                    Not hardly....... Why do you insist on taking the most negative view that can be thought of? I suspect you are one of those unfortunate people who have no sense of humor, are extremely literal, with no ability to spot a tongue-in-cheek comment. I would be happy if I am wrong about that.

OBVIOUSLY I mean that Mr Britnell's work is beautiful, and, yes, SO beautiful that I myself make certain NOT to post any projects if they may end up in posts adjacent to his project posts.

Where you go off the rails here is in assuming that I would have him, and others, stop posting.... OBVIOUSLY NO SUCH THING. I LIKE seeing his and other posts of such projects. I'd like to see more of them.

The problem here is that while I am fairly sure there are new members who do beautiful work, I see very few posts.

Perhaps the real idea for a new subforum is to have one specifically and ONLY for projects. NO COMMENT POSTS ALLOWED..... Just project threads with pics. Yes, it will probably take posts away from the "what are you machining" thread, and maybe even from the now-useless "Shop made tools" thread. I don't think that would cause any resentment.....

Is the suggestion inconsistent with the idea that beautiful work suppresses project posts? Maybe, and then maybe I don't believe so much in the "suppression" of posts anyway.
                    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

There are some highly skilled and talented people that share their projects on this forum, and they in no way discourage me from posting
                      when I feel I have something of interest to share. I don't use my machines often, but when I do, I do the best that I can with the equipment
                      I have. My projects may not measure up to the level of some other members, but considering I haven't invested the hours they have, there's
                      no reason they should, and I'm OK with that.

Comment

Jerry if you have no idea of my sense of humor by this time, you have not been paying attention. But when you make the statement, "After that, who wants to post ANYTHING about a project or the like, when it will just look silly and "hack" in comparison to the beautiful project pics.", it leaves little to the imagination.

I look forward to posts on this site and others as well as articles in the magazine that display a high level of skill as they give incentive to duplicate them. When I first started in with my home shop, at a local show, Bill Harris's steam roller was on display. I decided that was what I wanted to build. I had never done anything of the sort previously, but was looking for a project. This was before the innermets and I had no no one to tell me that I could not do it with an Atlas lathe and milling attachment. I got the plans and set off. Not wanting to go the expense of the castings available, I built it from scratch except for the gears.

I was not discouraged by others expertise, but was encouraged that I could accomplish the same. I feel the same, and certainly hope others do as well when seeing the work others do. If you do not hope to achieve that level of work, you are sentencing yourself to remain a "hacker". By showing nothing but "hack" work, you are saying that it is acceptable, not that improvement is possible.

On this site and in the magazines, there are all levels of workmanship on display. I very rarely, if ever, see any negative comments about the quality of work displayed if if is in the "hack" class. I do see compliments for excellent work. It is also rewarding to watch an HSM develop over time. There are several here who have progressed from "hacker" to accomplished machinist in the time they have been on the site.

I see lots of information, misinformation and opinion given as fact when questions are asked. I don't see how a separate forum will address thus situation. No one is an expert in all areas as Mike says. There are very few on this site who I would consider competent to fill this role, and with the loss of John, even fewer.

I joined sixteen years ago because I had just acquired a T&C grinder and had no clue as to how to use it. John answered and offered his CD. He followed up and gave me help in getting the CD to work with my computer. Others chimed in with suggestions and help. I have seen this repeated countless times since with others. I see no reason to change things at this point. This site has been successful for many years because of its simple format and welcoming members. Why fix what isn't broken.
                        Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                        X