Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

semi OT - honesty on eBay about ball screws ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• semi OT - honesty on eBay about ball screws ?

I was looking for ball screws on eBay for my DIY CNC large bed router. I found this description.

Mistake, or too honest ???

It looks like it's exactly what you need if you want something that will sure be disappointing

Comment

In the sixties there was a London estate agent - I think he was called Hotblack Desiato and was Douglas Adams' inspiration - who said it like it was.

"Tiny apartment that could do with some redecorating, but is probably cosy enough."

That sort of thing. Became very successful.
      Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Originally posted by rohart View Post
        In the sixties there was a London estate agent - I think he was called Hotblack Desiato and was Douglas Adams' inspiration - who said it like it was.

"Tiny apartment that could do with some redecorating, but is probably cosy enough."

That sort of thing. Became very successful.
        Now that would be "Bijou pied-a-terre with atmospheric and characterful period features" - and it would be a million Quid.

Dave H. (the other one)
        Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

From what I have read and from experience, most single nut Chinese balls screws will hold about .003 or slightly better backlash depending on how the thrust and idler bearings are setup and mounted. There may be some scammers out there. The Chinese are no less prone to cheats and scammers than anybody else. If that is good enough for you then look for an Ebay seller that has been on Ebay for years under the same name, has thousands of feedback and less than 0.5% negative. (with Ebay's new (a few years now) anti negative rules maybe that should be adjusted down to about 0.25%) Read their feedback. If most of their neutrals or negative are not about product quality they are probably ok.

As a side note: The current Ebay cooling off period in my opinion prevents many vendors from getting the negative feedback they deserve. I really don't give a darned if they "made it right" or refunded my money when they "got caught." A good company isn't one who makes it right after they get caught. A good company is one who does it right the first time, so when reading negatives and neutrals bare in mind there are probably just as many who decided it wasn't worth the effort a week later. I recently bought an anvil sold as forged steel. I called them out on it when it turned out to be a Russian cast iron import. It was not cast iron price. It was a few hundred dollars for 70 pounds. They instantly refunded my money and told me to keep the anvil for my trouble. Really? They knew what they were selling. Between the cooling off period, and the fact that most folks won't know the difference they are still selling it on Ebay as a forged steel anvil instead of an a cast iron anvil shaped object. I don't give a darn that I got a free piece of cast iron. I am pissed that my time was wasted with a blatant lie. Sure everybody makes mistakes, but this was not a mistake and they are not a good company because they made it right when I called them out for it. Anyway, read the feedback and double the negatives. Ebay doesn't have a cooling off period for positive feedback. LOL.
          *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

does ebay and paypal refund the fees if the money is refunded?

if not, that's probably the reason they have policies to protect the seller.

Comment

If the seller makes the refund the Paypal fees are refunded back to the seller. As to Ebay fees. I don't know. I have 100% positive feedback as a seller on Ebay. That will probably change now that I said something. LOL. I think if the refund is managed through Ebay as a response to a buyer complaint they are.

Personally I would rather risk getting a negative as a seller than know first hand that fraudulent sellers are protected by current policies.
              *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Although technically Chinese, I have used HiWin from Taiwan, Very high quality with pre-loaded ball nut.
                They came with a laser measured inspection certificate.
                Max.

Comment

Working...
                X