3-in-1 sheet metal machine ~30" 16ga?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-in-1 sheet metal machine ~30" 16ga?

Does anyone know of a decent 3-in-1 sheet metal machine that can handle 16ga in the ~30-52" size? Seems all of the usual suppliers only support up to 20ga.

Maybe I'm asking too much to support 16ga? I used to have a 52" 16ga foot shear which I sold awhile ago and now want to get another one but this time in a 3-in-1 machine but all I can find is up to 20ga..

Yes, you are asking too much. 16awg is a heck of a lot more than 20.

Comment

ARRRGGGHHH....... I talked myself into 20ga... I was leaning towards the Grizly 30" z-series 3-in-1. The 12" is too small, and 42" is bigger than I need, but NOOOOOOO why is the 30" only rated at 22ga and the smaller and bigger one is rated at 20ga..

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2017/main?p=707

12" is rated at 20ga
      30" is rated at 22ga
      42" is rated at 20ga

Why the heck would they do that.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
        ARRRGGGHHH....... I talked myself into 20ga... I was leaning towards the Grizly 30" z-series 3-in-1. The 12" is too small, and 42" is bigger than I need, but NOOOOOOO why is the 30" only rated at 22ga and the smaller and bigger one is rated at 20ga..

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2017/main?p=707

12" is rated at 20ga
        30" is rated at 22ga
        42" is rated at 20ga

Why the heck would they do that.
        Simple, just to piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
          Does anyone know of a decent 3-in-1 sheet metal machine that can handle 16ga in the ~30-52" size? Seems all of the usual suppliers only support up to 20ga.

Maybe I'm asking too much to support 16ga? I used to have a 52" 16ga foot shear which I sold awhile ago and now want to get another one but this time in a 3-in-1 machine but all I can find is up to 20ga..
          Not much of a mystery.

Sheet steel in 16 ga is twice the thickness of a 22ga. 20 ga is only about 20% thicker than 22 ga. It makes sense to see similar machines built around one of the two sizes.

A shear made for 16ga only needs to be stronger in the areas where a shear sees stresses. A 3 in one has to have a stronger bending brake as well as the sheer and roller. And of course, the longer the piece that you are bending, the stronger the machine has to be.
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
            Simple, just to piss you off.
            As they say better to be P*ssed off than on And remember 16 ,20 & 22 gauge is thinner in china & HP is more.

Comment

3Phase Lightbulb,

I just got one of the 3-1 tools used and it is the old HF that is a 42", the sheer is a BIG disappointment.

I can't get it to even shear 24ga with out problems. the thing is just not stiff enough. I even reworked it to have the handle removed and put a foot pedal on it to be able to control the sheet as your shearing, it still won't cut (225#s me)on the foot stomp just not worth a beans.

I suggest that you look into building each piece by it's self so at least you can then get the work that you want done without frustration.

The roller does work, but you have to cut a keyway it the back roller full length so that it starts the sheet, or it won't engage easily. The bottom line is for the price of materials or other tools it might be a better suggestion.

TX
              Mr fixit for the family
              Chris

Comment

My sheetmetal work is mainly 16ga. Years ago I tried the sheetmetal 3-1 tools from HF. Immediate return to store.

Thats when I went shopping for some used Tennsmith tools. Never looked back. JR
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

You can use it for making 16awg lasagna. I've never met anyone that was happy with their Chinese 3 in 1 for any function.

Comment

I have a 30 inch Grizzley that was a gift from a friend. He was frustrated with the performance and I was dumb enough to accept the gift. It works fine for steel and aluminum flashing if the parts are small. The rest of the time it takes up valuable real estate.

Comment

3Phase Lightbulb,

I suggest that you look for a Beverly sheet metal shear, a roller design that you can build, a brake, or better, a pan brake design that you can build. This way you can really do some work with them. I have gotten a Beverly hand shear, and a power hand shear that both do the job. Straight cuts like a stomp shear would be nice, but I'm not building any NASA stuff so it's OK for me.

I have since been looking for designs that I might be able to use the parts off the HF crap, to build my own brake. The roller works as is for me since I cut the keyways in the rear roller, it now lets the metal feed through since it catches the edge of the incoming metal, where before you had to force feed it.

Just me 2 cents after a bad purchase.

TX
                      Mr fixit for the family
                      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Stepside View Post
                        I have a 30 inch Grizzley that was a gift from a friend. He was frustrated with the performance and I was dumb enough to accept the gift. It works fine for steel and aluminum flashing if the parts are small. The rest of the time it takes up valuable real estate.

Ha! I bought a 30 inch one years ago and just recently gifted it to a friend. I never could get the shear to work on anything other than thin aluminium although the roller was not too bad and the break was the best part of it but barely adequate.

I would never recommend buying one.

Comment

Thanks guys, It seems the general consensus is the 3-in-1 is probably great for 22-24ga and hit-or-miss with 20ga. I'm going to wait until my shop is all settled in and see what I got for floor space. I'd really rather have a separate 16ga capable shear and a separate 16ga capable box and pan brake.

Comment

3 Phase Lightbulb,

You won't be sorry with that plan. Believe me your money will be better spent if you go that route. I speak from a bad experience.

TX
                            Mr fixit
                            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                              You can use it for making 16awg lasagna. I've never met anyone that was happy with their Chinese 3 in 1 for any function.
                              I am happy with mine. All functions work good with a bit of tuning. I have a 52” 16ga one coming. I’ll report back here when I get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X