Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bison, "South Bend", Gator or other 4 jaw chuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bison, "South Bend", Gator or other 4 jaw chuck?

The 8", 4 jaw D1-5 chuck that came with the G4003g lathe is, to be generous, a massive POS.

I believe it's the mounts for the jaw screws that are flexing and I can't get a reliable tightness and reading.

So, who's good as a replacement?
    Can't justify REAL good at near half the price of the lathe so of the 2nd tier offerings, who's good, better, best?

The South Bend is from Grizzly, appears to have desirable features and is on closeout for $500+.
    Bison I can get for the same price.
    Gator...I'm not overly confident of.

Other suggestions?
    Len

If you're sending money off shore anyway, I'd get the Bison for the same price. South Bend is just a brand name of over priced Ching-Chang production now and targeting the up-scale DIY buyers.

Comment

I second the Bison, I like the one I bought, although mine is probably 10 year old now, and we all know how things change.

The POS you have is from Grizzly, going by he model number, why would another Grizzly be any better?

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

I bought a Gator several months ago and have no complaints. Used a dozen times with expected good results.
        mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

I think the 4003g uses a d1-4 chuck. My 0709g uses a d1-5.
          I'd go bison then gator if I was going to go new. If you could settle for used, I'd look for a used quality chuck like Rohm, Union, cushman, bison, buck, etc.

Comment

I would look for a good used chuck from any one of those major brand names that akajun listed. Overall condition would be more important than the actual brand, and determining that condition means a hands on inspection. You list your location as CT., which should have a few reputable machinery dealers located within driving distance.

Comment

... add Kitigawa and Yuasa. I bought 3 Ebay 8 and 10 inch chucks in the past two years. Major name brands, $200 average for "like new". D1-5 is an orphan though, so it limits your choices unless you buy plain back chucks and backing plates. Look at D1-6 and 4, and take of the backing plates for resale.
              Last edited by lakeside53; 10-22-2017, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                I second the Bison, I like the one I bought, although mine is probably 10 year old now, and we all know how things change.

The POS you have is from Grizzly, going by he model number, why would another Grizzly be any better?
                I have no idea why the SB would be any better, that should be self evident in me posing the question.
                There appear to be better manufacturing aspects on the SB than the Grizzly purely based on what I can see.
                Hell, why's one Chevy or Ford better than the next?
                Len

Comment

Originally posted by akajun View Post
                  I think the 4003g uses a d1-4 chuck. My 0709g uses a d1-5.
                  I'd go bison then gator if I was going to go new. If you could settle for used, I'd look for a used quality chuck like Rohm, Union, cushman, bison, buck, etc.
                  Nope, D1-5.
                  Len

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
                    The 8", 4 jaw D1-5 chuck that came with the G4003g lathe is, to be generous, a massive POS.

I believe it's the mounts for the jaw screws that are flexing and I can't get a reliable tightness and reading.
                    I thought that a 4 jaw independent was the hardest design to screw up. We are talking independent, right?

I'm curious about the "reliable tightness and reading" as well as the perceived flex. I don't ever tighten a chuck enough to bend the internal workings.

Dan
                    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d View Post
                      You list your location as CT., which should have a few reputable machinery dealers located within driving distance.
                      I'm sorry Tom but that has me on the floor down here!
                      What's "should" and what "is" has significant distance between!
                      Len

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                        I thought that a 4 jaw independent was the hardest design to screw up. We are talking independent, right?

I'm curious about the "reliable tightness and reading" as well as the perceived flex. I don't ever tighten a chuck enough to bend the internal workings.

Dan
                        Yeah, neither do I, but that doesn't stop it from shifting all over the place.
                        Len

Comment

what is shifting? Screw mounts flexing? Post pic..

Comment

That's the only answer I have.
                            Len

Comment

Do the jaws fit snugly in their slots?

Comment

Working...
                              X