No announcement yet.

The long tale of a vise tail...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MichaelP, the handle is just as removable as a kurt vise handle. It pops in and it pops out.

Comment

Yes, I understand it. It's just that you won't be able to rotate the handle full 360 degree without swinging it in the joint. It's not a problem for the final tightening, but very annoying for a long jaw travel.
      Last edited by MichaelP; 10-24-2017, 12:18 AM.
      Mike
      WI/IL border, USA

Comment

That looks exactly like what I call my "tilt-a-whirl" vice. Very, very handy for anything which has to be held on a slant to the bed for machining. The only flaw in my vice is that when tightened, the moveable jaw "kicks up".
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
          Yes, I understand it. It's just that you won't be able to rotate the handle full 360 degree without swinging it in the joint. It's not a problem for the final tightening, but very annoying for a long jaw travel.
          A simple technique to master with these vises is to hold the handle out, just off straight and swivel it. This gives a rapid feed for opening and closing long travel. Easier to display than describe.
          Jim H.

Comment

I'm familiar with the technique, Jim.
            Mike
            WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Thanks Jim, I tested the vise this morning to assess Michael's comment and that's exactly what I found out. You hold it out and the movements are short and rapid.

Long travels are not under pressure. It's only the last turn or so that needs to be torqued. At that point, all you want is leverage, and the handle, as it is, provide plenty of it.

Frankly, I'm perfectly happy with the result and its useability.
              Last edited by jariou; 10-25-2017, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X