Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instead of a "newbie" area, how about a subforum specifically for PROJECT threads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This forum seem to work reasonably fine just the way it is. But I'm not against if there would be one or two separate subforums for the actual machining and projects without off-topic threads.
    Just don't make 223523+56 subforums like on the http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/ has.

Comment

Instead of a "newbie" area, how about a subforum specifically for PROJECT threads?
      whats the objective? To see more projects, or to make more sub forums? No doubt its the former.....but before proposing solutions you really need to understand why it's as it is. That doesn't come from your or my bias its from talking and listen to a lot of people about it, probably offline, then aggregating the results. I doubt anyone could be bothered with that exercise but my own bias is that I can't see the current lack of a designated spot as a major factor in discouraging people from posting projects.
      Last edited by Mcgyver; 10-24-2017, 09:41 AM.
      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

This already exists in the form of the magazines. This is the reason for this site, to promote the magazines and encourage subscription. It always amazes me when someone who has been on the site for several years says he has never heard of the magazines.

If you see a thread that interests you and you want to save it, use the favorite button on your computer and save to a file of HSM projects. That is what I do, simple enough.

Once again, why the urgent need to change something that has been as successful as this site has been up to now?

Edited to add; I neglected to mention the VP books as well. There is a wealth of information including plans, projects and techniques available in them. This site is intended as an adjunct to VP publications, not a replacement for them.
        Last edited by JCHannum; 10-24-2017, 12:07 PM.
        Jim H.

Comment

I LOVE IT AS IT IS! LEAVE IT ALONE! THIS WORKS SO WELL! DON'T screw IT UP! You need a new project to keep busy

Comment

OK. so nobody wants to be able to look at people's PROJECTS? WHAAAAAAT?

Frankly, the idea that it is a problem in some way is a COMPLETE MYSTERY to me.

I thought this was a home shop machining forum. Apparently I was WRONG, it is NOT a home shop machining forum.

Why all the HATING of projects? I mean it sounds like this is not just seen as not needed, but actually HATED.

Apparently we HATE seeing projects. We HATE it SO MUCH that we would like to bury the damn things as fast as possible in the "general" forum, so we do not have to look at them, and so they will never be seen again.

If you want to know WHY it makes sense, just try to find the last few project posts in "General"..... Yep, unless you have a search term for EACH ONE, you will likely never see it again. Frankly, that's CRAZY. This would have seemed to be a natural idea, to have a place to look at the neat projects that folks do.

And, incidentally, it would tend to encourage new folks too, seeing the variety of stuff people do. We must all hate that idea too.

As it is now, there is NO WAY to simply browse through projects that folks have done, so if you miss it , it's GONE, dude. No way to see it again unless you know just what to look for to find THAT specific project.

With a project section, you can at least see them all, browse through, get ideas, just plain look at them, etc. Seems like a natural, but if you all HATE projects that much then just keep it as it is so that you never have to look at those terrible projects again.

Sheesh..... I just do not understand you folks.
            Last edited by J Tiers; 10-24-2017, 01:31 PM.
            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              OK. so nobody wants to be able to look at people's PROJECTS? WHAAAAAAT?

Frankly, the idea that it is a problem in some way is a COMPLETE MYSTERY to me.

I thought this was a home shop machining forum. Apparently I was WRONG, it is NOT a home shop machining forum.

Why all the HATING of projects? I mean it sounds like this is not just seen as not needed, but actually HATED.

Apparently we HATE seeing projects. We HATE it SO MUCH that we would like to bury the damn things as fast as possible in the "general" forum, so we do not have to look at them, and so they will never be seen again.
              HATE
              HATE
              HATE
              Sheesh..... I just do not understand you folks.
              J Tiers, what the hell are you smoking? That's the old classic faulty dilemma.

Everybody in disagreement with you is a communist, a wife beater, hates children and dogs, and has bad breath!

And you were the one in your other "forum" thread speaking of the uber talented devils, like GBritnell and others, whose projects shamed others into hiding their light under a bushel. ...you must HATE it when they post their projects, eh?
              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

If off topic threads are labelled as OT -

Project threads could be labelled PROJECT

That way you could sort what you wanted to see

Comment

What amI smoking that I would suppose seeing people's neat projects would be TOTALLY ON TOPIC??

Maybe I am not the one smoking it...

Seriously... making it easier to see neat projects gets SUCH a negative reaction, I have to wonder if this is not the forum I thought it was.

Originally posted by bob_s View Post
                  If off topic threads are labelled as OT -

Project threads could be labelled PROJECT

That way you could sort what you wanted to see
                  Yes, I thought of that also. It might work, but it does put a burden on folks to see them. they have to search, and people may not properly label, or may mis-spell, which cannot be corrected, etc. then those would be left out.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post

I don't see a need for a "project" forum.

If you find a thread to be interesting, subscribe to it and you will find it easily for years.

Dan
                    I dont see a need either. I think it is just fine already. And SUBSCRIBE is a good tool.. JR

Comment

You can always post your project over on my forum where it will stay on the same page for almost a decade The "Machine Shop Talk, Projects, and Pictures" forum http://www.bbssystem.com/viewforum.php?f=11 has 50 topics per page and the last topic on the page is dated Apr 10 2009 so you don't have to worry about your project falling off the end of the page for almost a decade

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                        If you find a thread to be interesting, subscribe to it and you will find it easily for years.
                        Dan
                        Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                        .... And SUBSCRIBE is a good tool.. JR
                        Well, subscribe does work.... WITH JUST ONE PROBLEM......

Can either of you remind me just how that "subscribe" thing works for a NEW MEMBER?

A new member would be someone likely to be interested in seeing what folks have done. They will not have seen the originals, so they had no way to subscribe, and have no idea that any particular thread ever existed, no way to search for it...........

So your idea has just one little problem that screws it all up.

A project forum would make that so easy.... Why make it difficult?
                        Last edited by J Tiers; 10-24-2017, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Every forum I visit has a request for more subforums. I prefer no subforums when the number of threads is as small as it is on every one I visit. Subforums seem to just waste time or catagorize us, the old fart subforum, people that are never wrong subforum, people with more money than brains subforum, lonely old guys subforum, young chicks that dig old guys with machinist skills subforum.

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                            Every forum I visit has a request for more subforums. I prefer no subforums when the number of threads is as small as it is on every one I visit. Subforums seem to just waste time or catagorize us, the old fart subforum, people that are never wrong subforum, people with more money than brains subforum, lonely old guys subforum, young chicks that dig old guys with machinist skills subforum.
                            lol.....maybe we need a Bob Loblaw forum?
                            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                              Ooooh, I want that last one.

Comment

Good luck with that. I think it's fine but a Project header is a great idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X