Hot Chips...... Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Chips...... Anyone?

I saw this video and would have never thought this was even possible to machine vise jaws this quickly (10IPM) with a 2" shell mill @ 2K RPM taking off 10mils.

I've done that with a slight difference, the paper on the bed burst into flames. I was using a Ceratizit 50mm 5 insert shell mill with RPHX 12. Depending on which ones you get, they index 4 or 8 times. The max rpm allowed is about 11000, provided the screws are changed with the inserts, our mill only makes a couple of thou rpm, so I'm still on the original screws.

Comment

That's pretty cool. I've considered one of those round insert shell mills like that but hadn't tried one yet.

Comment

Another for Ceratizit have two but both with inserts for aluminium and a Seco for hard stuff.
        Seco have milled through two layers of ball bearings and cage in Gen2 wheel bearings.

Comment

sparks make for cool photos, but this stuff makes me feel like a hack - tooling does not last. maybe ceramics?

speaking of cool photos and sparks.....I was on the floor at local (specialty) steel mill awhile ago. I don't think they want you taking pictures but I was standing there looking at job when they started pouring right beside us, couldn't help myself so out came the phone

Last edited by Mcgyver; 10-24-2017, 06:06 PM.
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

IMHO, this guy is a moron.
            Mike
            WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIF...7S66kX1s8rd0qA

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                  speaking of cool photos and sparks.....I was on the floor at local (specialty) steel mill awhile ago. I don't think they want you taking pictures but I was standing there looking at job when they started pouring right beside us, couldn't help myself so out came the phone
                  Wow, I didn't know we had ANY steel production left on North America.

When I was a kid my parents used to drive from my Grandmother's house on one end of Milwaukee to my Aunt's house on the other end. We used to pass right by this big manufacturing plant, and they had big doors that they would open for ventilation. The fence was close to the door and you could pull over and watch some of the work. I remember a huge forge working over a red hot gear once - the gear was maybe 4 to 6 inches thick and 3 feet in diameter. There were sparks everywhere and the noise was incredible. My dad got us tours through all sorts of plants - there was a springs company that had rows and rows of machines that twisted wire into weird shaped springs, a company that made electromagnets for cranes, and some huge steel mill near Chicago.

It was hugely inspirational for a young lad. It's too bad that kids nowadays mostly play videogames on their cell phones.

It would almost be worth a drive to Toronto (500 miles) just to see a steel mill again.

Comment

Working...
                  X