52" 16ga 3 in 1 Sheetmetal machine first impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52" 16ga 3 in 1 Sheetmetal machine first impressions

Received new sheet metal machine today. Took the crate off and tried a 48" cut in 16ga mild steel. It cuts it cleanly right out of the box. Cut a piece of 24ga and a piece of poster board, no problem there either.

48" bend in 16ga is about all I can do, but the timing is off so the handles are near vertical at the start of the bend. I will change the timing so they're at about 45 degrees at the start and try that, should help a lot. Did not try the roller.

My impression is that it will do what it says it will do, BUT not without effort. I would suggest 200lb minimum to get enough force on the lever for full length bend. Shearing 16ga was not real easy but much easier than the brake. Also it was just on the floor, once its on a stand I think it will be a bit easier. I may have to bolt the stand to the floor to get its full potential. Don't really want to pull a 1200lb machine over on myself.

As far as construction it seems to be well built, if not perfectly finished. It needs some adjustment and cleaning/ lubricating. Maybe a bit of filing and sanding in spots to make it run smooth. Has bronze bushings on the cam arm with oil ports so should be good when I get the packing grease replaced with oil.

Overall I think it will live up to expectations.

Captain K

That's good news!

Comment

One thing I really don't like about those 3-in-1's is the box/pan brake. It seems like it would be really difficult to bend something more than 90'deg Also, If you want to do several 45'deg it seems like it might be hard to accurately do any arbitrary angle. With a dedicated box/pan brake, the angle seems much more controllable and of course more than 90'deg is available.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
        One thing I really don't like about those 3-in-1's is the box/pan brake. It seems like it would be really difficult to bend something more than 90'deg Also, If you want to do several 45'deg it seems like it might be hard to accurately do any arbitrary angle. With a dedicated box/pan brake, the angle seems much more controllable and of course more than 90'deg is available.
        See my post in your thread asking for smaller 16ga capable 3in1 there is a link there to a 40" machine. If it's made to similar specs to 52 you should be good to go, assuming you're in reasonable physical condition. It ain't easy to bend 40" of 16 ga by hand.

Comment

No brand, no links, no nothing. Waste of bandwidth.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
            The box & pan type has some serious issues in versatility. Just ran into that today. I had a part to make that had a "Z" shape. The size was such that my small box & pan brake was too big and the second bend would not go on the machine, the moving surface was in the way, needed a hole in it to take the first bend. Could not turn it around, the surface under the "fingers" was in the way.

But on a regular die type brake, even a 3 in 1, the same part would have been easy, there is only air where the first bend would have been.

That IS a problem with some of the 3 in 1 units, other parts of the machine CAN get in the way of prior bends and prevent you from putting the part in the correct orientation for the next bend. But in general, the die type brake is more versatile than the regular box & pan.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Link

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
              No brand, no links, no nothing. Waste of bandwidth.
              https://m.kmstools.com/magnum-52-3-i...l-machine-2878

Comment

Originally posted by Captain K View Post
                See my post in your thread asking for smaller 16ga capable 3in1 there is a link there to a 40" machine. If it's made to similar specs to 52 you should be good to go, assuming you're in reasonable physical condition. It ain't easy to bend 40" of 16 ga by hand.
                I remember seeing somewhere a picture of one where the owner had added an electric screw actuator to reduce the amount of Ummpf required to make a bend.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Has bronze bushings on the cam arm with oil ports so should be good when I get the packing grease replaced with oil.
                  For the amount of force you indicate you're using and the pressure in those bushings I'm thinking that grease isn't a bad option. Maybe something better like modern synthetic wheel bearing grease but still grease instead of oil.

Comment

Yeah I'm leaning toward replacing oilers with grease nipples. Probably use moly grease I think. Going to take it apart and clean all the nasty packing grease crap off and put proper grease or oil everywhere it needs it before I use it again.

Comment

Canadian?
                      So that means it'll only handle 20 gauge American?

Len

Comment

Nope. We get the same Chinese stuff you guys do.

There is a 20ga 52” machine as well though. It is not the same one with s different rating, 300lbs difference in weight. One or two importers sell both versions.
                        Last edited by Captain K; 10-27-2017, 08:27 AM. Reason: Add info

Comment

Working...
                        X