The Great Lump of Stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Lump of Stupid

Many of you will remember a previous thread, with a spur-of-the-moment title I am not particularly happy with, concerning the discovery of a brain tumor in my head. I was not particularly happy with that either, then or now.
    The thing, I call it the “Great Lump of Stupid”(GLS), is slightly larger than a golf ball, but looks HUGE in the MRI images when compared with the rest of my normal brain, all crowded in the limited space of my skull. I will try to get a photo the next time I meet with the doctor and plug it in here:
    >>>>Image of the Great Lump of Stupid<<<<
    Surprisingly, the GLS has caused no symptoms other than some balance problems and some sleepiness. It has not distracted from my thinking process (yet) but is neither contributing to my intelligence. The surgeon drilled a hole (1/4” burr) in my skull and dipped out about a half-dozen biopsy samples. They were composed of astrocytomas, lumped in a glioblastoma. This is a new primary tumor and not metastasized from my previous bout with prostate cancer.
    The biopsy operation slightly affected my speech, but I am told by my lady friends that it is more endearing.
    The treatment plan is to weaken the GLS (with me along for the ride?) with Chemo and zap/cook it with radiation, 5 days/week for 6 weeks. Actually, the radiation will not directly kill the tumor, instead it will alter the genetics of the GLS, preventing it from reproducing, while leaving “normal” cells mostly unaffected (hopefully). Care must be taken to avoid the optic nerve for one eye and the pituitary gland. The doc said he considers success as “stopping the growth of the tumor.” It will then slowly die off.
    It is possible that the surgeon may want to clean out the GLS some years in the future.
    I may either be greatly absent from here for the coming months or be an irritating presence with a multitude of “progress” reports about my situation.

I thank everyone for their sentiments posted in the other thread. No need to repeat them here.
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

You have my best wishes for a good outcome.

Chemo has come a long way from 20 years ago when my wife had chemo for breast cancer. She really got sick with every dose. Today my brother-in-law has chemo (for colorectal cancer) and goes back to work the same day. The newer chemos are targeted to the specific cancer and less likely to have side effects.

Best wishes,

Mike

Comment

Clumsy bastard.

Comment

Please as far as I am concerned, feel free to report progress whenever you feel like it.

If nothing else we will know you are still hanging in there, which I think I can confidently say we all hope you will.

Don't let the GLS bastard get you down.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Wes

Thank you for you sense of humor in what is a trying situation. Keep us appraised of your progress. I wish you the best.

Pete

Comment

Yes, please keep us irritated with all of the progress you and your team can muster.
            Enough bad news on the telly and elsewhere so some good news is always appreciated. Sounds like some pretty good news you gave us already.
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

Good luck & God Speed my friend!
              "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
              world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
              country, in easy stages."
              ~ James Madison

Comment

Weston:

Wishing you better than the best of luck!

-bob

ps. The first radiation treatment is intimidating, but it only lasts 4 Mississippi's.

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
                  It is possible that the surgeon may want to clean out the GLS some years in the future.
                  or be an irritating presence with a multitude of “progress” reports about my situation.
                  Wes,
                  1. That's very positive!
                  2. Look forward to it!

I'm sure there are other DM readers looking forward to your healthy return.

Comment

I look forward to seeing good progress reports on this. And you will be in my prayers.
                    Paul A.

Make it fit.
                    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Yes - keep us up on your progress. Who knows - maybe you can elevate the status of the forum to Brain Shop Machining!

Comment

Thanks for the update and as always. Without pics it never happened JR
                        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I'll happily put up with all "irritating" updates!

At least now if someone gets really pissed off at you and says "Do you have a hole in your head?" you can look them square in the eyes and say quite calmly "Why yes...yes I do!"

Comment

Best wished for a full recovery Weston. Keep us posted.

Brian
                            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post

At least now if someone gets really pissed off at you and says "Do you have a hole in your head?" you can look them square in the eyes and say quite calmly "Why yes...yes I do!"
                              yes, about the hole in my head:
                              The surgeon did an incision in my scalp, pulled back the skin and drilled the skull. (machining content here) After the biopsy the incision was held closed with a couple of bandages - no stitches that I could find. Brain juice or something leaked out between my scalp and skull for a while, mildly irritating the area.....felt good to massage the scalp periodically. I found that sound is conducted better through the hole than the surrounding bone when I rub or scratch my scalp.
                              Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                              ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Working...
                              X