OT - Made in the USA, NOT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Made in the USA, NOT!

This is a label I saw today. It's the first time I've seen this attempt to make folks think something is USA made and I think it's a shame. I know it's the fault of the person buying this grill thinking it is USA made BUT I also feel it is blatantly deceptive. JMOHO.

Galaxy S4, Slimkat
    If I wasn't married I'd quit fishing

I see all kinds of Chinese junk being sold on ebay with an American flag on the auction, making it appear as if the merchandise is made in the USA. I also notice some of the Chinese ebay vendors have shell distributors setup, usually in CA close to the port of entry, which mail their items to the customers from the mainland, making it appear as if it's American made or at least American sold.

And then there's harbor freight with all it's deceptively named tools. Pittsburgh this, Chicago that, Wisconsin, Detroit whatever.

Comment

Just waiting to see a "shipped proudly to the USA" with a big flag under it...

Comment

But it doesn't say made in the USA. Was it china or Japan that named a town or something USA so they could put that on their products? May have been a hoax too.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
          But it doesn't say made in the USA. Was it china or Japan that named a town or something USA so they could put that on their products? May have been a hoax too.
          I always thought that too, but I guess it was not true.

Comment

Originally posted by Ridgerunner View Post
            I always thought that too, but I guess it was not true.
            I remember it was Usa, Japan as told by Mad Magazine when I was a kid probably 9 years old. I think it was in a cartoon about a cheesy transistor radio that had blown up. "What, me worry?" - Alfred E. Newman.

Comment

Originally posted by Machine View Post
              I see all kinds of Chinese junk being sold on ebay with an American flag on the auction, making it appear as if the merchandise is made in the USA. I also notice some of the Chinese ebay vendors have shell distributors setup, usually in CA close to the port of entry, which mail their items to the customers from the mainland, making it appear as if it's American made or at least American sold.

And then there's harbor freight with all it's deceptively named tools. Pittsburgh this, Chicago that, Wisconsin, Detroit whatever.
              Those Ebay items will usually say "Shipped from USA" or "USA Stock" or similar. I've never been confused about where the item originates. As you say, most of those item are shipped from common warehouses scattered over the US. I would rather buy from them than directly from China. Most of the time I'll mark the USA Only option on the browsing page and that's the reason many have joined the "warehouse clubs". If you look at the sellers' location, he/she is in China and your PayPal payment goes there. They only ship from the US warehouses. On relatively low cost item that need to be returned, the seller will simply refund the payment and tell you to keep the item. It's happened twice with me on a couple of covers for the Galaxy Tab E I got a few months ago. They sent covers (one with a keyboard and one without) that didn't come close to fitting. And the keyboard plug was a standard USB. I don't know of any of the current tablets that have a standard USB port. Mine is a Micro USB. BUT, the seller claimed it would fit and it didn't. I went elsewhere and bought the Finte brand covers. They fit perfectly.

Comment

All Apple products say 'Designed in California, Made in China' on them.

allan

Comment

All Apple products say 'Designed in California, Made in China' on them.
                  Seriously? Is that true?
                  I wouldn't know, because I'm not an APPLE guy.

Comment

I have seen that label, and similar labels for years now. Seems we design everything but make nothing.

Comment

We, in UK, buy things from an American east coast company, who subcontract the software to the west coast who actually employ Indians (not red version) and it's made in China. Trying to set up a conference call to discuss why it doesn't work is a multinational nightmare of time zones.

Comment

That label's not bad. I can figure out it's not 'made in USA'. The one's that piss me off simply say 'USA'. I bought some Bilstein shocks and the boxes just said 'Germany'. For the money (not much) I seriously doubt they are made in Germany.

Comment

I worked for a company for a short time all the parts were from China . Then they put an American flag sticker on them the that said made in American what a joke.

Comment

Almost as good as the box of deck screws I just bought - Made in the U.S.A., Indonesia, Thailand, Mexico, Taiwan, or China
                            Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Originally posted by riverhawk View Post
                              I worked for a company for a short time all the parts were from China . Then they put an American flag sticker on them the that said made in American what a joke.
                              How about Swiss made watches then?

Comment

Working...
                              X