Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRouche
    replied
    Here is a simple one. 1" round bar. Drill to 5/8". Cross drill two opposing holes (1/4" or less depending on needed strength). Insert 1/4"(or smaller) rods into holes to create a 3/8" gap inside of the 5/8" hole. Weld outside of pins to secure. JR

Leave a comment:

• Norman Bain
    replied
    Is the intended purpose of the socket coupling a "sliding fit over the shaft" or "fixed clamped"?

You had better tell us if the coupling is to be used in automotive steering; if so then the result will need to be well made.

If is just to drive a shaft on your yard tractor; then the approach you describe will work just fine. If is a sliding coupler then I expect that is should be hardened to improve longevity.

Leave a comment:

• MikeL46
    replied
    Why can't you mill it out with a 3/8" endmill? The rounded ends won't match, but the flats that transfer torque will be fine.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• alsinaj
    replied
    kitno455: Thought of that first, but found only 3/4" couplers. Do you have a source for 5/8" couplers? Thx. J

Leave a comment:

• kitno455
    replied
    Buy a 5/8 DD steering coupler, and weld it onto your assembly.

allan

Leave a comment:

• alsinaj
    started a topic DD socket

DD socket

I need to make a socket to drive a DD shaft 5/8" in diameter and 3/8" between flats. The only way I can think of to do this without making a broach is:
    take a piece of round bar of somewhat greater diameter and length than the desired finished dimensions
    bore a 5/8" hole through it
    mill off top and bottom, leaving the desired 3/8" in the center, and also leaving the excess length intact at both ends
    braze plates onto the milled flats
    turn the assembly to finish outside diameter and part off the excess at both ends

Is there a better way?
Working...
X