Small, Worm Gearbox for Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small, Worm Gearbox for Project

I am thinking about gearing down a motor, perhaps an inexpensive drill motor for a project that I have in mind. This would be for intermittent use to tighten and loosen a locking bolt. This is on the cheap and if it works I will probably want to make several more.

Any ideas where I could look for something like that in the used or surplus market. I am thinking around $20 to $35 or so.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Something like an acme thread and an 'evannut'?

Plenty of acme threads to be had in scissor jacks from juncked cars, some jacks have a single thread while others have half left and half right hand thread.
    Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 10-30-2017, 04:47 AM.

Comment

How about a power window or windshield wiper motor/gearbox unit?

Comment

What Bluechips said is the way to go. Surplus center.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
          I am thinking about gearing down a motor, perhaps an inexpensive drill motor for a project that I have in mind. This would be for intermittent use to tighten and loosen a locking bolt. This is on the cheap and if it works I will probably want to make several more.

Any ideas where I could look for something like that in the used or surplus market. I am thinking around $20 to $35 or so.
          Some ballpark idea of needed torque/power/rpm would be good

Comment

Yep, with no specs on the device, we need some specs on the action. Perhaps a door lock motor. They have linear action that could move a lever.

Comment

Just a couple of thoughts. A thrust washer under the bolt head would lower the power required to tighten it which could result in a wider array
              of motors suitable to your task. You might want to consider limiting the power when the motor tightens the bolt and run it at full power when
              loosening to ensure it can break the bolt free again.

Comment

Here you go: https://www.ebay.com/i/332419238282?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Comment

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's going to cut it.

Paul A.
                  SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                  You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's going to cut it.
                    The Space Needle is rotated with a 1HP motor

Comment

Boston Gear (and others) sell worms and gears but you most likely will not meet your price goal.

Comment

Not worm gears per se, however HF angle grinder has a 90 degree gearbox, some of them can be had for a bit over 12bucks. Also the HF drills that always go on sale for like 15-16$ have decent gearboxes in them as well. Neither uses a worm gear though.
                        12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
                        Logan 825 - work in progress
                        My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
                        Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
                        Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

Comment

Working...
                        X