Question on Chinese 10HP VFD...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
    I'm sure this has been asked before- heck I've asked it before - but I'm having a hard time coming of with a definitive, solid answer.

Doc.
    Hahaha!! I know right? Its like Yoda asking Luke what to do next. Ok. I said my piece. I will go read the dogpile that is I am a slow reader. JR

Comment

I'm sure this has been asked before- heck I've asked it before - but I'm having a hard time coming of with a definitive, solid answer.

I'm in need of a VFD for my 10HP Springfield lathe. The one "proper" VFD I've found that can definitely take single phase and give me 10HP worth of 3-phase, costs $1,200.

Doc.
      In my experience, which is limited, you sometimes get what you pay for, and its gonna be what you need.

{{ Solly}} I was thinking of a song
      But if you try sometimes you might find
      You get what you need

However, there's piles of Chinese VFDs on eBay that say they're good for 10HP/34 amp, for far less ($250-$300 plus shipping.)
      Doc.
      Pretty much the amp value looks off for an option for me. Ill bet that is the 3ph in 3ph out. From residential it will be much lower. JR
      Last edited by JRouche; 11-01-2017, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
        Just buy one from Amazon. They have the absolute best customer service. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, they will pay for return shipping and all your out is the time it takes to test it and put it back into the box if it doesn't work. You'll still have to do the same with any other unit -- top of the line or not, as they might not work either for whatever reason.
        It looks like most of the VFDs on amazon are HuangYang. They don't have the greatest reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by Illinoyance View Post
          It looks like most of the VFDs on amazon are HuangYang. They don't have the greatest reputation.
          They seem to have the largest proportion of "side door deals" among them also. How lucky do you feel?
          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

For those of you that want to be sure a VFD will work on single phase go to AutomationDirect.com. They now have single phase rated VFDs to like 30 HP. NOT cheap, but you can't beat their reputation for quality and incredible support. Next best bet that we use are Hitachi SJ200 drives underrated by 50%.

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
              If the VFD is one of those that goes to 400Hz, you can reduce the sensitivity of the rheostat by adding a resistor in series with the terminal at the
              clockwise end. If the rheostat is 10K, then adding 20K should reduce the upper range to 1/3 or about 130Hz.
              Why not just program the upper frequency limit into the vfd?

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                Why not just program the upper frequency limit into the vfd?
                With SOME, that does not change the pot range....
                CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

With the VFD I use on my little Myford, I use an external ten turn pot. This gives plenty of precision over the desired speed range. Is that a possible solution?
                  Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

Working...
                  X