Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GKman
    replied
    I'll second the nomination for Motorola.

Despite the fact my wife has an ATT plan I chose Consumer Cellular and a Motorola phone. Hundred bucks for a size that works for me $150 for big enough to be a pain. Can't imagine what a phone could do anything that these don't. Friend and his wife were Samsung/ATT addicts upgrading every time a new one came out. They switched to Motorola's for one fifty cash apiece instead of Samsungs at $700 and never looked back. I broke a screen once, $250 repair? No $75 for a returned unit and saved the battery from the cracked one.

Leave a comment:

• tomato coupe
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    What forum? Did I miss something here? Never saw anything like that here that I recall. Of course if it is a matter of making what is basically an S&D drill, that might be different.
    It was a couple of weeks ago, and was titled "ER Collets and Drill Bits."

If you have a range to achieve a job and run it on a semi production basis enough to matter, then its not a big thing to grind the shanks on the larger bits so they all fit the same collet, then its just one collet and slacken it off for each change and its all held more securely.
    I quite often grind bit shanks to a collet size so I can use them on my cnc mill in a standard collet size, as I only have one jacobs chuck for that in the toolholder programmed.
    Or you can just turn the drill shanks if grinding is not for you...

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post
    This is the forum where guys advocate grinding or turning the diameter of drill bits so they don't have to buy a collet. The time-vs-money equation is a bit lopsided.
    What forum? Did I miss something here? Never saw anything like that here that I recall. Of course if it is a matter of making what is basically an S&D drill, that might be different.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    Originally posted by bob_s View Post
    So, how'd the shopping trip go?

Around here 700€'s would get you a fair to middling custom saddle.
    She was only kidding with me. I asked her if she needed anything from the tack store ans she said no. Around here 700 euros wouldn't buy much at all!

Leave a comment:

• bob_s
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
    Oh Oh! My super wonderful daughter bats her eyes at me this morning at breakfast and asks when we are going shopping. I ask what do you mean. She promptly replies whereas she saved me 700 euros on her phone that we should head out to the tack store!
    So, how'd the shopping trip go?

Around here 700€'s would get you a fair to middling custom saddle.

Leave a comment:

• tomato coupe
    replied
    Our daughter has an iphone 5s. It started having issues charging. She went online and found out that the charging port is famous for failing on that model. I wanted to buy her a new phone. She said there were lots of how to's on how to replace the port. I basically told her I didn't want to mess with going inside her phone and trying to replace the jack. I told her to order a new phone and use my account to pay for it. What does she do.....she ordered the part as a kit with all the tools to do the work for 14Euros. This morning she is in my office at my conference table with her laptop, phone, my magnifying lens light and lots of papers spread out over the table. She made drawings where each screw went and placed each screw she took out on the drawing. Some of these screws are not 2mm long and less than 1mm in diameter. There were a bunch of them as in over ten that had to come out. She had the phone in pieces. She watched videos of the procedure and read texts while she was doing the surgery. This 15 year old girl had her phone put back together and working in short order. I sat there and watched. She even had the knowledge to ask me if I had a magnetic screwdriver that would fit these screws, which I did actually. I was impressed to say the least.
    My iPhone 5 also developed charging problems. I took it to the local Apple Store and they told me it was a very common problem, especially for people who keep their phones in their pocket. Replacement of the charging port isn't usually required, just 5 minutes of careful cleaning.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    Good thing I had finished my coffee.

Watch out for that one. And be sure to warn any guys who are foolish enough to ask her to marry them.

Oh Oh! My super wonderful daughter bats her eyes at me this morning at breakfast and asks when we are going shopping. I ask what do you mean. She promptly replies whereas she saved me 700 euros on her phone that we should head out to the tack store!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    JUST TO SAVE A FEW BUCKS?????

Have you checked Apple's prices?

I paid $25 for my phone because I got a touch screen one and I pay $35 per month for four phone lines. The other three phones were either FREE or $5 or $10 each. Like flylo, I use Pure Talk. My minutes never expire and I have accumulated around 4000 minutes per phone. The data for my phone is just $10 per month and I have never exceeded that. But I do not use it too often as I am retired and mostly at home. But is really is handy when I need a map while traveling.

This is what the phones and services SHOULD cost. The rest is pure gravy for the companies who are selling the phones and cell service. RIP OFF, big time.

Originally posted by goose View Post
    Why do people do this ? That is; buy an old phone and then jump through hoops, do handstands and all sorts of hacking voodoo just to save a few bucks?

There’s a place to save money and a place not to.

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Why do people do this ? That is; buy an old phone and then jump through hoops, do handstands and all sorts of hacking voodoo just to save a few bucks?

Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post
    This is the forum where guys advocate grinding or turning the diameter of drill bits so they don't have to buy a collet. The time-vs-money equation is a bit lopsided.
    Too true. All too true.

Leave a comment:

• tomato coupe
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    and I-phone doesn't support the new 700mhz bands... Don't even think it has the hardware.

Leave a comment:

• dave_r
    replied
    Originally posted by Puckdropper View Post
    AT&T and Verizon use a different radio technology. Verizon uses CDMA I think, and I don't remember what AT&T uses. It might be worth taking a few minutes and double checking that your phone does indeed have both radios.
    Verizon still has CDMA support, but that is only legacy support now. They want everyone to use LTE, which everyone else also uses.

Of course, now the issue is which bands of LTE does a given phone support, as different providers use different bands.

Leave a comment:

• Puckdropper
    replied
    Originally posted by macona View Post
    I changed from ATT to sprint on my iPhone 6, used ATT's site to unlock it, went to Sprint and they activated it and it worked. Apple just makes one phone for all carriers since the 6 so there is nothing to worry about software wise. Though I might be moving to Verizon next, I am not happy with sprint coverage.
    AT&T and Verizon use a different radio technology. Verizon uses CDMA I think, and I don't remember what AT&T uses. It might be worth taking a few minutes and double checking that your phone does indeed have both radios.

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    I changed from ATT to sprint on my iPhone 6, used ATT's site to unlock it, went to Sprint and they activated it and it worked. Apple just makes one phone for all carriers since the 6 so there is nothing to worry about software wise. Though I might be moving to Verizon next, I am not happy with sprint coverage.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    When my Crackberry gave up the ghost I upgraded to an iPhone 5s which I purchased re-manned from Straight Talk for $79 + $12 for three years of warranty.It took literally 5 minutes of online chat with ST to buy the phone,with the right Sim card for my area and service.

The only complaint I had was they didn't bother to tell me a signature was required at delivery which was a hassle.Other than that,no issues.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X