Machine shop auction buy --- and a MYSTERY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine shop auction buy --- and a MYSTERY

I was at an auction in Richmond Indiana this last Monday. They were cleaning out a machine shop. I'm going to do a gloat on a different thread when I have the gloat-object cleaned up a bit.

One of the things I bought is a mystery. Literally.

I bought a box. It's 13" long, 2 3/8" tall, and 3" wide. It is wrapped in brown paper that is very firmly glued down. Everyone who has seen the box is impressed with just how firmly glued it is. It's almost as if they took glue soaked damp paper and wrapped it and pressed the folds and edges down. The paper is slightly oily. I don't know if it was oiled before or after it was glued shut.

If there was a label it has fallen off, or faded. I cannot find any ink or markings other than a black dot on one end. The dot looks like the product of a square marking pen pressed against it but not moved side to side.

It weighs 860 grams, or just under 2 pounds. It rattles a bit if shaken, but not much of a rattle. It's more like a thump as the content(s?) shift a little. I haven't wanted to shake it vigorously. It attracts a magnet on the four faces, but not on the ends.

Normally I would just open a box to see what is in it. But this box is soooooo well wrapped it's almost a shame to destroy the wrapping job. So, it's been sitting on my desk while I try to figure out what is in it.

SOOOOO.... Have any of you guys ever seen a box like this in the shop? I'm hoping that somebody will say "Oh yeah, that's a box for a Widget Co W-300 widget"....

Its hard to tell because you didnt say what the box might be made from. Is it wood? Paper? Plastic? More details are surly available.. JR

Comment

Xray it.

It's probably just a NOS Dickfer though.

Comment

could be a lot things. spare TPG spindle from stores or rebuilt one returned?

take the paper off or save it for Christmas
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Use an ultraviolet flashlight on it. That may show some of the markings that have faded.

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
            It is wrapped in brown paper that is very firmly glued down. Everyone who has seen the box is impressed with just how firmly glued it is. It's almost as if they took glue soaked damp paper and wrapped it and pressed the folds and edges down. The paper is slightly oily. I don't know if it was oiled before or after it was glued shut.
            50 years ago someone ordered it and tossed in on a shelf unopened because they knew what it was. Over time the wrapping probably hardened
            a bit.

It attracts a magnet on the four faces, but not on the ends.
            Its a piece of steel rectangular tubing.

Comment

Harbor freight 123 blocks.
              Andy

Comment

Save it and open it for Christmas. It will be the perfect gift!
                Kansas City area

Comment

I think it will be a drill or a reamer.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

It's a spare roll of brown wrapping paper
                    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

12 inch level..
                      Or planer blades or files ..rat tail files.. so the ends don't attract the magnet..

Comment

Schrodinger's cat.
                        Len

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
                          Schrodinger's cat.
                          Dead cats are so boring.

Comment

That's what I thought it was, especially when you said it is over 50 yeas old. It's a Christmas fruit cake from 1955.

Comment

It has to be a sub from subway. The guy got fired before he could eat it and it turned to rock after a few years!!
                              Paul in NE Ohio

Comment

Working...
                              X