Decisions,decisions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decisions,decisions.

I got a rotary table with my mill and have used it a few times. I just bought a super accudex and now wonder if I should keep both or get rid of the rotab as the accudex can do most everything the rotab can and more(in my case).
    Don't remember what size the rotab is, thinking 10" maybe 12.

The only way to find out is to sell the rotab. That will trigger a cosmic clock that will, after a suitable delay, result in a job that can only be done with the rotab.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Dan's right - it's murphy's law of as soon as it's gone is the second you will need it, just the way the universe rolls I guess.

Comment

New rule: everyone should have at least one of everything/.

Comment

Not sure what I was thinking
          I guess it's time to find a permanent home for the accudex.
          Thanks guys.

Comment

What did the "and more" mean in post#1?

Comment

There seems to me a trend lately (propagated by the media and perhaps the Illuminati)
              to de-clutter ones life from unused stuff. 5S is the cooperate buzz lingo name for it also.
              Someone is spreading the rumor that having stuff is a sign of a sick mind. As long as one
              has a reason to have said stuff, I believe it makes it OK. Now, collecting tools falls into
              the category of enhancing the variety of broken things that one has the capability to fix
              or create new. The timeline for keeping such tools around to justify their usefulness is
              much longer than considering when to throw out those 10 jars of peanut butter that you
              bought at Costco on sale, which might go bad before you get a chance to eat them all.
              Actually just yesterday I got rid of a shaper that I had for over 10 years, and never got
              to putting it into use. I traded it for a 14" X-Y slide rotary table that is going to take up
              less shop space, and hopefully get more use than the shaper did. So as far as tools go,
              if you have more than 2 or 3 shapers, you might have a problem (unless they are vertical
              shapers, which are more useful and just plain cool).

--Doozer
              DZER

Comment

I was thinking of selling my milling attachment for the A/C lathe since I got the real mill recently. I needed to mill a 45* cut at a 10* slant for a tool holder I'm making and fiddled with it in vise for a while. Then it hit me--Hey, I can set compound angles on the lathe. It took me longer to install the milling attachment than it did to cut the insert pocket. Primarily because I couldn't find the pins for it. I was glad to have a seldom used tool since I don't have a tilting rotary indexer or the like.

I plan on keeping the lathe milling attachment even after getting a rotary something. It'll end up in my estate auction.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy View Post
                  New rule: everyone should have at least one of everything/.
                  I’ve been trying to convince my wife of this truth for years. No luck yet.

Comment

Originally posted by oldwing View Post
                    I’ve been trying to convince my wife of this truth for years. No luck yet.
                    Tool boxes. Lots of big giant tool boxes.

"Why is this locked dear."
                    "In case somebody breaks in dear."
                    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

That "de-clutter" deal has a rule, that I have seen used by companies also:

"If you have not used it or needed it in 6 months (or a year, etc), then get rid of it".

Sounds great, until you watch companies scrap stuff, and then within 60 days, buy more of whatever it was, because now they need it. Same thing goes for stuff in the shop. I have had tools sit for years, and then I need to do a particular thing, and that tool is the exact item needed to get the task done. Saved me time, effort, and money. Worth it.
                      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                        That "de-clutter" deal has a rule, that I have seen used by companies also:

"If you have not used it or needed it in 6 months (or a year, etc), then get rid of it".

Sounds great, until you watch companies scrap stuff, and then within 60 days, buy more of whatever it was, because now they need it. Same thing goes for stuff in the shop. I have had tools sit for years, and then I need to do a particular thing, and that tool is the exact item needed to get the task done. Saved me time, effort, and money. Worth it.
                        That sounds like a rule that a supplier came up with...

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                          What did the "and more" mean in post#1?
                          Indexing easily, either with index plates or with spacer masks.

Comment

Working...
                          X