OT: Choosing smartphone???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by engineerd3d View Post
    However I will be upgrading to the moto G5 Plus after christmas season. I just wanted something to hold me over until I could decide on what to get next. For a unlocked phone with the specs it has for under 300$ with no contracts or monthly payments I think this is a good deal.
    Haha. I am just now switching all my info over to my new moto g5 plus. I got it from amazon. JR

Comment

A couple of things in response to others...

Juiceclone said "U can do 90% of what an Iphone can with free downloadable apps." I suspect you will also find that an iPhone can do 90% of what an Andriod phone can do. Both architectures have features or software that is unique to it.

Danl said "I have a spare battery, takes me about 2 minutes to power down, eject the dead one, install the fresh one, and power up. Try that with an S6 or later." I prefer an easily replaceable battery too. What the S6 and above have is a quick charge mode where the battery will go from 75% to 100% in 15 minutes or so. And wireless charging. And the ability to act as a battery pack for another phone. And super battery saver that stretches the final 15% into several days of standby. I'd still prefer a replaceable battery.

Danl also said "I've heard that you can do something similar with specific carrier android phones". In fact, you can load a new OS into virtually all android phones. The "unofficial" OS may or may not take advantage of the specific hardware that your phone has. If you load an OS for the wrong hardware (Moto VS Galaxy, for instance) it may make it unusable (brick it), but that applies to PCs, cameras and other electronic devices too.

Boaterri said "I picked a Motorola Moto X smart phone. It has an Android OS on Verizon." I would not go with Moto anymore. It's now owned by a Chinese company Lenovo and there have been cases of Lenovo adding spyware to their laptops under the guise of "customer support".
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

I have a Samsung S7 edge, which replaced my S5 last April. It is a great phone just like it's predecessor was only with a few upgrades. I think I paid about $750 for it from Costco but it came with a Wireless camera and a $225 rebate. Powerful little bugger.

Brian
        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post

Boaterri said "I picked a Motorola Moto X smart phone. It has an Android OS on Verizon." I would not go with Moto anymore. It's now owned by a Chinese company Lenovo and there have been cases of Lenovo adding spyware to their laptops under the guise of "customer support".

But pretty much all the cell phones are built in china... typing this on a lenovo thinkpad..

Comment

Had both.

Both are good, you can't make a mistake. Agree, get as much memory as you can
            afford.

Left the Ipone because of a weird file system. Historically if you wanted to delete .. say a song, you
            had to load up Itunes on your computer and delete that song from and computer ... then sync your
            computer with your Iphone. May be different now.

Also, on an Iphone there is no "back" button, you can be deep within a menu system, make
            a mistake and have to start completely over. If you went from an Android to an Iphone, this
            will literally make you crazy. Hopefully the program creators have addressed this better now.

Show me an app that will work on the one, but not on the other and i'll show you an app
            that will work on the other, but not the one.

Your a tech guy .. you gonna love either.
            John Titor, when are you.

Comment

My first smart phone was a blackberry. I loved the hard keyboard, and miss it greatly. The battery got weak and I was due for a free upgrade so my next one was an Iphone 5. That was a miserable 3 years before I could get another free upgrade. I liked the actual phone, but hated everything about the apple user experience. I've now got a galaxy s7 and aside from the size of it (WAY too big) it does everything I want it to do, and probably lots more I have no idea how to use. I'm a big fan of the android OS now, even though I'm a pretty basic user. The camera on this thing is awesome. Taking a picture, then uploading it to imgur (RIP photobucket) via an app, then being able to post it here or any other website is an incredibly handy feature of a smartphone (can do that with all). I no longer need thumbdrive to shuttle files back and forth from work to home, I can just drag and drop right to the phone. Something that was a constant thorn in my side with apple. Dont even mention dropbox as an alternative...

I do miss the size of the Iphone 5, and my next free upgrade (notice a theme here..) will be something smaller. Hopefully somebody makes a phone with as much functionality as my s7 in a smaller package in a year from now. If somebody made a slide out hard keyboard phone with a touchscreen the size of the iphone 5, but was android, I'd actually buy one. Probably not, but I WOULD switch to it when my next free upgrade comes along.

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
              But pretty much all the cell phones are built in china... typing this on a lenovo thinkpad..
              Me too.

Comment

Wow.... Thank you. I guess I did not really expect a definitive answer, but I'm reading it and trying to collate it in my head....

Keep it coming, I sense a decision will come out of the lot.
                CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by duckman View Post
                  I'm an Android user and will never have an apple, I don't like being tracked every time I use my phone, apple has multiple trackers built into there phone, people think they turned them off but they didn't find the hidden ones. I have a good friend that works for apple so I get all the dirt, like when apple comes out with a new phone they recommend you update your older phone which actually slows your phone down so you want to buy the newer one.
                  I'm sure Google does the same thing with their Android phone.
                  Everything you do gets backed up to your Google account / email address that you need to get when you buy the phone through them. I always leave locations off if that makes any difference.

JL............

Comment

Go Korean, you won't regret it.
                    There's a lot of hate out there for Apple products (Designed in the USA, made in China) - for a reason...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
                      Had both.

Both are good, you can't make a mistake. Agree, get as much memory as you can
                      afford.

Left the Ipone because of a weird file system. Historically if you wanted to delete .. say a song, you
                      had to load up Itunes on your computer and delete that song from and computer ... then sync your
                      computer with your Iphone. May be different now.

Also, on an Iphone there is no "back" button, you can be deep within a menu system, make
                      a mistake and have to start completely over. If you went from an Android to an Iphone, this
                      will literally make you crazy. Hopefully the program creators have addressed this better now.

Show me an app that will work on the one, but not on the other and i'll show you an app
                      that will work on the other, but not the one.

Your a tech guy .. you gonna love either.
                      With Iphone (or Apple in general) you have to do everything pretty much the way some snob on Apple imagined it should work. iCloud, iTunes and i-whatsoever.
                      Stay in their "sandbox" and never even imagine thinking "there has to be another, better way" and it works perfectly..
                      Connect to computer with USB cable and just transfer files? Not going to f*nking happen :P
                      "It just works - Apple" (maybe that slogan means that it just barely works. Or only works in a way that is really retarded)

And btw I'm Iphone user

Comment

OT OT: new Apple Donglebook design:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XSC_UG5_kU

Comment

I have both a galaxy S7 and an iPhone.
                          I have the iPhone only because it works seamlessly when I am in the Bahamas.
                          I call it my Bahamas phone.
                          If it weren't for that I would throw it in the trash.
                          Did I say I am an android fan?
                          Bill
                          I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

I got a company iphone after using an android for a long time, for me the difference is this:
                            -iphone allows individual access control of apps, so you can switch of tracking and data leeching to some degree. Not sure if they have implemented it in android by now.
                            -android can use any charging cable instead of the chipped expensive apple cables
                            -iphone cable can be inserted upside down, which is very convenient in the dark
                            -android usually has a memory slot, iphone makes you pay 100 times the real cost of extra storage if you want a useful amount
                            -iphone is more idiot proof and more responsive (less waiting for things to happen)
                            -android is usually cheaper for same feature set
                            -same app is sometimes free for android but paid for iphone. Apparently it's easier to separate some users from their money :-)
                            -there are an infinite number of cases and accessories for iphone, much less across the android spectrum

If I was spending my own money I'd probably get an android phone, but nowadays the quality of the camera starts to become an important feature as well. Some are fantastic but very dependent on phone model.
                            I'd also like wireless charging on my next phone but it doesn't appear to be wide spread.

Comment

still using the BB, just ordered another - if its working I'd rather not spend the time relearning someone else's twist on accomplishing the same thing.. For me its a business tool, email, phone and photo with occasional browsing that fits in any pocket....main selling feature though has been the tactile keyboard. You do suffer from a lack of aps, but if you want to futz around there is a way to load andriod applications. I haven't bothered. Plug it into the computer and its drag and drop from directories just like it should be. Wouldn't touch an apple for that reason alone, that and itunes.
                              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
                                It is big, but you *almost* get used to it. It still spends more time out of my pocket than my old phone did because I get tired of carrying it but most of the time it's not noticeable.
                                I buy Lee carpenter jeans and use the leg pocket exclusively for my cellphone. Can get it from a car or airplane seat. Works great. I also travel a lot and sometimes stream video content. When it comes to video, you want all the screen you can get.

I buy Android because it's cheaper and I'm a skinflint. You will learn either quickly.

metalmagpie

Comment

Working...
                                X