Horizontal Mill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horizontal Mill?

Is this a Horizontal Mill or something else. Maybe I should get out more, as I have never seen a Horizontal Mill like this.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Horizont...gAAOSw~l1Z-Ud3
    Last edited by NiftyNev; 11-07-2017, 05:50 AM.
    Nev.

Looks like one to me. It has all the necessary actions to be one, just different. But no outer arbor support so ganging would be out or light. Pretty unique design--First one I've seen like that.

Comment

Fairly standard layout for european horizontals, like Deckel, Maho, etc. This one is unusual in having a really long column, such that the head does not overhang when retracted. I've never seen one like that.

allan

Comment

Looks automotive to me. No over arm provisions makes it more a horizontal boring arrangement than mill.

ah-ha.....this one has a table which almost for sure is factory as the wheels match....but this is the machine - connecting rod boring machine. Usefulness? very big footprint for limited range horizontal boring mill capability, possibly limited speeds and perhaps non standard tooling holding. Pass

http://www.beamequipment.com/img-MAN-AMCPB150.jpg
        Last edited by Mcgyver; 11-07-2017, 08:50 AM.
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Door on the side of the machine says: AMC...RMC??, Denmark...I think.

Comment

These days AMC-Schou mostly seems to make engine rebuilding and cylinrical grinding machines,
            Paul Compton
            www.morini-mania.co.uk
            http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

What keeps the sliding headstock from lifting off the V ways? Typical Euro-style mills rely or dovetail or square ways for the headstock (giving the Y axis movement). Most rely on dovetail ways, but a few of the bigger CNC Mahos and Deckels use square Y ways. My Deckel only has square Z ways.

Comment

I thought automotive as well when I first saw it. It may be a useful little machine if it has a standard taper in the spindle, and powerfeed on all axis. it says it has autofeed on the spindle, could be like a mini boring mill.

Comment

As with most automotive tools, it is highly specialized, and really not useful as a general purpose horizontal mill. Anything it can do for boring can also be done with an H-mill, or, with a vertical, for that matter.

If the question is "should I buy this thing as a mill?", the answer is "no way". It is a mill the way a brake lathe is a lathe.... Just barely enough to do brake disks and drums, or in this case, just barely enough to bore con rods.

My little Lewis can probably run rings around it as a horizontal mill, and it weighs probably 1/5 of what that monster weighs.
                  CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

it looks like it is made with Shaper castings.

Comment

Looks like a machine I once saw that was for valve seats I think, make a nice little boring mill perhaps, certainly rigid, another table and a bit of tinkering for line boring, not having an arbour and outboard would be a nuisance, perhaps there was one hooked onto the vertical, more like a steady.
                      Or how about headstock for a wood lathe for gigantic lumps of tree, couple of girders maybe.
                      I think it's an answer looking for a problem.
                      Defiantly interesting!
                      Mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                        Defiantly interesting!
                        "Defiant" ... interesting choice of words.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
                          "Defiant" ... interesting choice of words.
                          Damn you spell checker and your humorous altercations, some are so funny I just leave them, it's toying with me but seems to be developing a certain dark sense of humour
                          See what it did with alterations, it also used abb orations and abortions, perhaps referring to the frankenmill.
                          The word should have been definately
                          Many thank yous
                          Marking

Comment

Looks like a keyway cutter to me. Probably meant for woodruff keys. It looks to have that style of cutter mounted. Have seen several similar machines advertised as such.

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                              Or how about headstock for a wood lathe for gigantic lumps of tree, couple of girders maybe.
                              I think it's an answer looking for a problem.
                              Defiantly interesting!
                              Mark
                              Not into wood work but but an interesting idea. I kinda like it and would jump on it if it was closer. Fairly cheap I think.
                              Last edited by NiftyNev; 11-09-2017, 03:27 AM.
                              Nev.

Comment

Working...
                              X