X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willy
    replied
    Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
    Go buy a 3/8" socket extension from HF. It'll probably out work any of the wet noodle suggestions so far.
    This would be my first choice as well for a readily available and usually nicely finished piece of tough steel. Not sure how long it has to be but I've got 3/8 extensions that are quite long, several 24" and 20". Not counting the ends, the shaft diameter is less than .350", probably 11/32".

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    4140 is a "thru hardening" steel. Thomson rod is a "case hardened" rod--the center is still malleable. Only the outer surface of the rod is hardened.

Leave a comment:

• MattiJ
    replied
    Originally posted by CalM View Post
    You know, I've always wondered just what combination makes a good pry bar.

I've got a 5 foot Pinch bar that has served me well for more than 40 years. I don't think I can ever bend it. Then there are those tire iron. The old "brown ones" are straight as the day they saw light. The newer flat and plated ones have been bent and straightened many times.

Is it a combination of hard skin and tough core? Or is it just tough through and through?

I wonder?
    Optimum for pry bar use is probably slightly softer core. But its more than than, the heat treatment has to be done correctly and steel needs to be suitable grade.
    Like good hex keys that are ~60 HRC hardness and still not overly brittle.

Leave a comment:

• MattiJ
    replied
    Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
    Go buy a 3/8" socket extension from HF. It'll probably out work any of the wet noodle suggestions so far.
    Crossed my mind also but those are probably thicker than 3/8"

the hardened O-1 from mcmaster is quite far from "wet noodle"

Leave a comment:

• CalM
    replied
    You know, I've always wondered just what combination makes a good pry bar.

I've got a 5 foot Pinch bar that has served me well for more than 40 years. I don't think I can ever bend it. Then there are those tire iron. The old "brown ones" are straight as the day they saw light. The newer flat and plated ones have been bent and straightened many times.

Is it a combination of hard skin and tough core? Or is it just tough through and through?

I wonder?

Leave a comment:

• JoeCB
    replied
    Scrap auto parts, got me thinking .... the rod from gas struts are about 3/8 , not sure if you can get to 15" though.

Joe B

Leave a comment:

• CCWKen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    I have one made out of the rod that goes on the end of a steering rack, it's not unbend able but it's fairly strong and as its off a scrap car, free.
    What it's made of I don't know
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• MattiJ
    replied
    Without any heat threating:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-s...stock/=1a5lxbk
    High-Strength 4140 Alloy Steel Rods (ETD-150)

With simple tempering at home oven: (temper at 500f for 1-2 hours)
    Hardened Tight-Tolerance Multipurpose O1 Tool Steel Rods

edit: linking to mcmaster was fubar
    Last edited by MattiJ; 11-07-2017, 03:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    3/8" Thomson rod. https://www.thomsonlinear.com/websit...dard_shaft.php

Leave a comment:

• Mcostello
    replied
    15" needed. Round wanted.

Leave a comment:

• MattiJ
    replied
    Cut-off from extra long Torx key

Leave a comment:

• Mcostello
    started a topic Strongest for bending strength?

Strongest for bending strength?

I have a Friend (don't We all) Who needs a tommy bar. 3/8" diameter. What would be the best steel to use with no heat treating? Have access to all the common flavors of steel, 4140,1144,01,A2 etc. Medium bending stress. Would like it to last. Allen wrench type material would be nice but probably break the bank.
Working...
X